Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Do some pawns automatically leave the party if you die/fall in water? Twice now I've paid to hire a good pawn only to fall in the brine and have them vanish after. I didn't see them fall in after me or any notification they had died.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Do some pawns automatically leave the party if you die/fall in water? Twice now I've paid to hire a good pawn only to fall in the brine and have them vanish after. I didn't see them fall in after me or any notification they had died.
I have never encountered this and I've become brine food a few times.

Anonona

Learned
How does it fall apart i don't see it.
It feels like a lot of the plot related to the conspiration and the throne is toss aside or hastily resolved. Thing is, DD1 did the same, and while part of it are problems with the writing, I'm pretty sure this was done on purpose just as the first.

Both games drive home that the political squabbles are actually meaningless in the gran scheme of things. In both games the Dragon is absent for most of them, taking a background role. Instead a new character is build up as the antagonist and the game focus on the political backstabbing and a fake monarch as an enemy. And then the Dragon's reappearance just shows how pointless their effort were and marks the jump into the real important element of the plot: the eternal cycle and the role of both the Arisen and the Dragon. DD2 seems to be written though as if you already played the first game, so it doesn't convey this as well as the first game, but the parallels are painfully obvious to anyone who played the first game.

There is also the impression that the game wants to ruse the Dragon fight, as if saying "you know already the deal". It could be in part poor writing by the developers, but the thing is, the Dragon itself actually wants it to end already, as in, in character, the Dragon seems sick tired of the cycle and is urging you to either destroy the cycle or get over it already. The exact opposite of the original Dragon, who instead hints at the nature of the world, but is very much following his role. Another point of difference between the Dragons is that, even if they sound similar, they have different voice actors, they are, for all purposes not even the same character.

Another problem is that the game suffered issues with the translation, so it muddles the ending and makes it harder to understand. At first I didn't quite get it and though they had retconned the mythos, but after seeing a post online pointing out this differences, the game seems to actually be a full on sequel regarding the plot, which the ending being hinted both in base DD1 and in the True Daimon fight in DD:DA.

Source of the post pointing out mistraslations

The gist of it is, King Rothais is the last Seneschal, who refused to kill itself but also to fulfill his role and pass down the mantle. He calls himself king in the game due to the new translator team not doing their work and using the same title as the first game. This is what could confuse, as it was easy to assume that the Pathfinder was the Seneschal, when he, in fact, isn't.

The Pathfinder is the Will that instated the cycle in the first place, and his form is that of the final dragon. His existence is hinted by the Seneschal in DD1; he states that he knows not if there is a god or what is the origin of the cycle, and even his title, Seneschal, means "one who watch over and manage the state of a lord", said lord being the Pathfinder. You actually fight the Pathfinder in DD:DA as the True Daimon, the face on Daimon's chest is that of the final dragon and you can see his body going back to the Rift after defeating Daimon, not being truly dead. He had continue the cycle despite what the Arisen did in DD1, just creating a new seneschal. That is until Rothais decided to rebel and never let anyone else take the title, meaning that every single Arisen since then had died trying or given up. The Pathfinder is sending more Arisen to kill Rothais, and is implied that he expected you to kill Rothias to gain power, as Rothias himself is surprised when he sees you and realizes that you aren't there to kill him. The Dragon is also rebeling, and that is why the Gigantus is sent to punish him, as is stated to be its role. The cycle is then truly finished in DD2 after you kill the Pathfinder.

Or it could be all a retcon, who knows.

Also it seems some lore is hide in sidequests. For example, you can learn of Lord Phaesus before he even appears in the main story through sidequests.

Perkel

Arcane
How does it fall apart i don't see it.
It feels like a lot of the plot related to the conspiration and the throne is toss aside or hastily resolved. Thing is, DD1 did the same, and while part of it are problems with the writing, I'm pretty sure this was done on purpose just as the first.

Both games drive home that the political squabbles are actually meaningless in the gran scheme of things.

Also it seems some lore is hide in sidequests. For example, you can learn of Lord Phaesus before he even appears in the main story through sidequests.

All of what you said is good story telling for me. The fact that you can learn about Phaeses before meeting him is great as you get context to what he does. The squabble over kingdom rule is good twist in context of arisen.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The jumping roll is cut. Why? Really like the way the characters automatically climb up small heights though.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The jumping roll is cut. Why? Really like the way the characters automatically climb up small heights though.
I like the climbing and the thief's forward flip animation when climbing up. But hate the sliding nonsense with a passion. Trying to climb up to a chest or even explore the high ground can be an exercise in frustration sometimes.

Reinhardt

Arcane
dd has best nights in rpg games.
i was just running through forest without lantern and then two red dots just few inches from my character's face. hobgobbo.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Someone please hire my pawn

why-does-capcom-allow-this-and-how-can-i-report-it-this-is-v0-cpgpmy8mworc1.jpeg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Big difference with /v is I am playing the game
/vg/ is also playing the game and they also have not big complaints on bugs
Besides you know they can just scour the web for bug reports and videos
Not doubting that you had those unfortunate bugs, just doubting that they're that common for others
With the attention this game produced before launch, and the fact that it's Capcom's major release for this year, and the fact DD1 is cult game on 4chan since DA - there is just no way, those obssessive doomposters wouldn't have raised a stink about bugs right then in the game's first weekend

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
What's the point of blocking the two G's? Everybody knows what the word is! Does seeing the whole word spelled out mentally scar you for life? People are fucking retards.

welly321

Scholar
What's the point of blocking the two N's? Everybody knows what the word is! Does seeing the whole word spelled out mentally scar you for life? People are fucking retards.
The two N's ? Ninner?
G's*. I had a retard moment myself. Maybe is was Ninner. We'll never know.
heh I figured and I agree with your statement. At this point, people really need to stop letting a single word effec tthem so much. The only reason people use that word is that it offends people. If people stop being offended by the word, it would stop holding so much power. This is something I learned in grade school. It blows my mind adults still have this issue.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
heh I figured and I agree with your statement. At this point, people really need to stop letting a single word effec tthem so much. The only reason people use that word is that it offends people. If people stop being offended by the word, it would stop holding so much power. This is something I learned in grade school. It blows my mind adults still have this issue.
Those same people probably don't give a single fuck when black people casually use it. Black people say it more than anyone. Like have the entire Codex get into a N-word battle with the entire African race and I bet we 100% lose. Wouldn't even be close.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Am I the only one who takes WAY too long making a character in this game (and the first)? I haven’t even gotten to gameplay yet. Knowing you can only have one sav file and certain items need to be bought to change appearance etc. has my OCD really making me indecisive. I’m gonna just pull the trigger now, though, and get this thing going.
Anyone who doesn't spend at least two hours in the character creator isn't really playing Dragon's Dogma, whether the original or the sequel. :M

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Two hours in character creator isn't bad. You can spend multiple lifetimes in a Bioware character creator and still fail to come up with something that doesn't look like a male crackhead who put some makeup on and decided he was a girl.

Fink

Novice
I spend like 5 mins in character creation. You get a helmet within like ten minutes of the game and then never see your face again.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I spend like 5 mins in character creation. You get a helmet within like ten minutes of the game and then never see your face again.

Well, how can you be immersed then? I mean, I like knowing which character is me at the masquerade ball, so despite having a mask and noble clothes like everyone else, I make sure to leave the fuckhuge weapon on my back. No one else will notice!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom