Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakensang is too complicated says GameSpot

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except they are Codex members

Is Drakensang good (or, let's say, roughly on the level of NWN2 OC)? I read a review of it today (80pts), it mentioned stuff like "complex character developement" and "challenging combat", but you know how modern reviews are.

A hour learning the rules is nothing, especially so if it's worth it. Playing various tabletop games always involves first learning the rules, which could take many hours and then debating about them mid-game for as long as half a hour per unclear rule, then maybe checking internet for errata and such. But maybe the gamespot reviewer is too cool to play nerdy tabletop games - or rather, doesn't have friends to play them with.

overtenemy

Augur
Drakensang doesn't have shit, it's a terrible game. It fools you into thinking it's cool with character creation, but it's all downhill from there.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah no kidding. I was pretty excited when I was in the character creation screen, browsing through all the classes and skills, but once I got into the actual game.. Meh.

Phelot

Arcane
I didn't think the game was THAT bad. The combat is pretty bad, but a lot of the dialogue is actually rather clever and there's some non standard quests hidden away. The whole atmosphere is pretty bland, but hey, I spent $20 on it so it was worth it for me. I had fun, but I don't think I'll ever play it again.

overtenemy

Augur
phelot said:
I didn't think the game was THAT bad. The combat is pretty bad, but a lot of the dialogue is actually rather clever and there's some non standard quests hidden away. The whole atmosphere is pretty bland, but hey, I spent $20 on it so it was worth it for me. I had fun, but I don't think I'll ever play it again.

I didn't notice any witty dialogue in what I played of it. It was all extremely bland, and the occasional bit of it that was voice acted was...well, funny, admittedly. Especially the conversation between Dranor and Chick-With-Boobs. Could you give some examples maybe? And even so, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to games really. If a game has at least one feature done very well that's present enough throughout the game, I'll usually forgive most of its faults. I don't think, however, that the infrequent funny line qualifies, especially when the entire rest of the game is without a single notable merit.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
You mean I have to read the manual and take some time to figure out what I'm doing? What heresy is this?
Um, hello? Earth to Vault Dweller? Not all gamers are 30 year-old propeller hat-wearing nerds who still live in mom's basement and have all the time in the world? Some of us actually have what's called a life which includes things such as jobs and families. After coming back home after a long day, we expect to relax with our brand new game by jumping in and killing stuff immediately, not by falling asleep after studying the first six chapters of The Lord of the Manuals.

Gamers who actually have an income and can afford to buy new releases are the ones who get to dictate which game features are in market demand and which ones aren't. The rabid man-children who are stuck in the past and can only afford to dig through bargain bins can keep their backwards opinions to themselves. They cannot be allowed to prevent the industry from moving forward.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Oh you fucking moron.

Because obviously VD being a married 38 year old with children and a VP of marketing is one of those people without jobs and families.

Just think about it for a second. Just think about it.

Manuals make things easy for you.

They tell you everything you need to know about a game precisely so you can enjoy it. You have all the time to understand how the game works, mainly, say, when it is being installed? Or flipping through it while playing?

No the issue is that a reviewer complains about a problem when a solution is available to him. Treating the manual as the very problem rather than a solution is just simple stubborness against using a simple solution.

And hey, here's a fun fact - videogames are for people with disposable time. Children specifically. They are meant to occupy a good deal of their time which is why children buy them. People get interested in and start playing games when they are children. Alot of them buy them with their pocket money. We all started playing games when we were children. And reading a manual is not a problem for a child - why else would I be playing management sims and RTSes when I was 10? He has time to kill, so be it.

An adult plays videogames, because even under changed circumstances, he feels entitled to a little leisure, and has some time to do it - so why not? I mean, if child hobbies are to be abandoned in adulthood, might as well skip movies or novels, right? So all that can get in the way of doing that...is a manual? God forbid!

Black

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Black said:
Why don't we kidnap this guy and make him play Wiz 8? Solo Fairy Ninja.
What do you say?

Because Wizardry is a boring dungeon crawler?
Because you have shitty taste.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dire Roach said:
Vault Dweller said:
You mean I have to read the manual and take some time to figure out what I'm doing? What heresy is this?
Um, hello? Earth to Vault Dweller? Not all gamers are 30 year-old propeller hat-wearing nerds who still live in mom's basement and have all the time in the world? Some of us actually have what's called a life which includes things such as jobs and families. After coming back home after a long day, we expect to relax with our brand new game by jumping in and killing stuff immediately, not by falling asleep after studying the first six chapters of The Lord of the Manuals.

Gamers who actually have an income and can afford to buy new releases are the ones who get to dictate which game features are in market demand and which ones aren't. The rabid man-children who are stuck in the past and can only afford to dig through bargain bins can keep their backwards opinions to themselves. They cannot be allowed to prevent the industry from moving forward.

angryx.jpg

1eyedking

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:
Because obviously VD being a married 38 year old with children and a VP of marketing is one of those people without jobs and families.
Wasn't VD a sexually frustrated virgin anime fag? At least that's what I can gather from lurking the NMA forums.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
There is a newsposter named The Vault Dweller on NMA. He's a kid and into anime.

Then there is me - VDweller

Dire Roach said:
Vault Dweller said:
Um, hello? Earth to Vault Dweller? Not all gamers are 30 year-old propeller hat-wearing nerds who still live in mom's basement and have all the time in the world?
An hour is all the time in the world these days? You must be really busy, mister.

Some of us actually have what's called a life which includes things such as jobs and families.
Jobs and families? Wow. So, you are, like, an adult or something? That's fucking awesome, man.

After coming back home after a long day, we expect to relax with our brand new game by jumping in and killing stuff immediately...
And there is nothing wrong with it, but that's what shooters and action RPGs are for.

Now I'm confused. It's too good to be true. Did my sarcasm detector fail? You are either the biggest douche or it was some fine trolling. Either way, congrats.

1eyedking said:
Wyrmlord said:
Wasn't VD a sexually frustrated virgin anime fag? At least that's what I can gather from lurking the NMA forums.

Where does the hate spring from? I keep seeing it, time and again. Let the hurt out. Just let it out. VD what did you do to this poor child?

As for Dire roach; I believe we have another "married attorney with a demanding wife".

Either that or we have another edition to the VD hating fanclub. I have to find out where this hate sprang from. Quite amusing.

obediah

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:
Oh you fucking moron.

Just think about it for a second. Just think about it.

Manuals make things easy for you.

The point is most people playing video games today are unwilling to read any instructions beyond a controller reference diagram. And that's really only allowed in fancy sports game, where you can control what direction your pitcher spits in during his wind up.

If your game is going to ask them to do anything they haven't done in 200 other games, you have to give them a practice level where they can fuck around with it until they are comfortable with it.

Or flipping through it while playing?

See, you totally don't get it. Games today are intense and rawk your fag ass if you don't pay attention to them. No sitting around sipping coffee, paging through a book while you ponder your next "turn".

Texas Red

Whiner
VD, you see, a common man can't just take a "business lunch" or a "business trip" whenever he pleases.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Is Drakensang good (or, let's say, roughly on the level of NWN2 OC)? I read a review of it today (80pts), it mentioned stuff like "complex character developement" and "challenging combat", but you know how modern reviews are.

It's alright. Not great, but worth it(alot better than NWN2 but that isn't saying much). Just filter out the bitter morons that rather not play anything but bitch how bad all games are.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Vault Dweller said:
Now I'm confused. It's too good to be true. Did my sarcasm detector fail? You are either the biggest douche or it was some fine trolling. Either way, congrats.

marionotthefather.gif

Dire Roach

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
Now I'm confused.
Forgive me, I was trollishly playing the devil's advocate, though I was genuinely curious to see what you had to say about my "arguments." The whole "I play games to relax, not to be challenged" notion along with the "I don't have time for anything" whine seem to be very popular phrases among reviewers and developers these days, especially when discussing what a game experience should be like.

And there is nothing wrong with it, but that's what shooters and action RPGs are for.
That's the thing, any RPGs that don't have the word action in front of it are pure strategy games by today's standards.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nicely done!

As for the arguments, I understand that people with jobs and families have less time than teenagers, but they do have enough time for shit they care about, so the argument is bullshit. Some people I work with spend 2-3 hours a day in a bar (after work), some play golf religiously, some tinker with car/home improvement projects, etc. So time isn't an issue. The issue is the expectations.

People play games to have fun, but fun is a very subjective concept. A 40 min long XCOM misison sounds like fun to me. If I can play only 2 hours a day, that means 2 missions plus some base management. Well, someone may think that it's fucking boring and that 2 hours should produce a lot more dead bodies and excitement. It's perfectly understandable, but then these people should play one of the shitload of casual, "mindless fun" games and recognize that games that do require paying attention are made for occasions when one does feel like thinking a bit.

Kinda like 3-hour long LotR movies. People who don't have time/patience/attention to watch them shouldn't bitch about them and demand shorter 30 min versions.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
overtenemy said:
http://ouugh.blogspot.com/2009/03/realms-of-arkanianwinter-nights.html

more accurate review imo

shit that was funny thanks :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom