Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dreamweb - Worth playing?

DriacKin

Arbiter
Was thinking about playing this game, but I've seen some mixed reviews for it. So, I turn to you guys.

Dreamweb or shit? Which is better and why? DISCUSS

made

Arcane
Quite linear and easy, but excellent atmosphere. One of the most violent games at its time too.

Besides, it's free and pretty short so what do you have to lose?

Andhaira

Arcane
Its ok, though gets a bit boring. Like all adventure games I guess.

Gabriel Knight would be better and it has better atmosphere.

DriacKin

Arbiter
AndhairaX said:
Its ok, though gets a bit boring. Like all adventure games I guess.

Gabriel Knight would be better and it has better atmosphere.

I've already played Gabriel Knight, as well as most of the classics.

Monolith

Prophet
made said:
Quite linear and easy, but excellent atmosphere. One of the most violent games at its time too.

Besides, it's free and pretty short so what do you have to lose?
Sums it up pretty well, worth a try.

Divinity: Original Sin
Download the diary that comes with the game. It had vital information in order to progress in the game. In fact, just one. But it was a nice addition, from a time that games came with lots of trinkets.

And there's no happy ending in this game.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I consider Dreamweb as one of the few games which cross the border into art. Don't expect any complicated gameplay or such. It's first and foremost a story told by visuals and sound.

The soundtrack (OST and ingame) is one of the best ver made for a pc-game.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
coldcrow said:
I consider Dreamweb as one of the few games which cross the border into art. Don't expect any complicated gameplay or such. It's first and foremost a story told by visuals and sound.

ecliptic

Liturgist
The diary that comes with the game is very well written. I own it, but have not played through it. I did however watch a video Let's Play of it all the way through, and it looked thoroughly interesting.

Parts are eye-blinkingly violent too. In a different way than the games of today.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Darth Slaughter said:
Download the diary that comes with the game. It had vital information in order to progress in the game.
Not to mention that it suggests another way to interpret game events and what is *really* happening. :)

This is probably one of my favorite adventure games. It has some problems - short length (~3 hours or so), scenario is promising but undeveloped, gameplay is somewhat clunky. Still, the style and atmosphere are perfect, as is the plot.

And yes, it actually has "immersion" - the world, characters and situations are so believable you can almost feel them. I think this is the only game where killing some npc made me stop and think for a while - and not because of gameplay or role-play reasons as in other games where killing is mundane, but because you really feel some of them. Well, at least I did.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
May I please have more of these games? This game was done by 3 people, goddamnit, and it puts almost all other games to shame atmosphere-wise.

Kz3r0

Arcane
BN_Stark.png

:love:
:thumbsup:

made

Arcane
Delete the speech folder if you play the CD version. The lame voice acting destroys the atmosphere and can't be turned off ingame.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Also CD version lacks subtitles for beginning, ending and confrontation with the Dealer.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
coldcrow said:

This. One of the few games which made me stop and think about what I as a player had just done when I shot the old security fellow at the tv studio. That really was a 'wtf am I doing here' moment.

Fowyr said:
Also CD version lacks subtitles for beginning, ending and confrontation with the Dealer.
Any way to get around this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom