Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon - A Real-time Dungeon Crawler on IndieGoGo

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The game is already running well on desktop+mobiles, we are exprienced game developers, and we are creating this game with lot of passion.
In that case I haven't actually read your pitch carefully enough.

Look, the big allure of kickstarter/indiegogo projects is that you can buy yourself some dreams. You can help the good cause. It won't be possible without you. But: if you have a working game already that just needs some polish, well, let me just wait those couple of months and buy it if it's good. That's basically a preorder, and people should not preorder video games as proven time and time again.

But I think that we have already explained our positions well, so let me finish at that. Good luck in the development and hope you guys will deliver a cool game.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
One thing I'm a bit confused is, how advanced is the project ? Release date is stated as jan 2015, that's only 4 months from now, which implies that the game is basically almost finished ? But you said that not all levels are built and that it's still missing a lot of content... can you really finish everything in 4 months, including debugging/testing/QA ?
Another question that I have is, how big/long is the game ? How many hours of gameplay can we expect ?
In any case I'll either pledge, or at the very least buy the final game, as I'm a big fan of old-school Dungeon-crawlers. Good luck !

Well, the story is full written. We also have most maps on paper, so the levels will be fast to builds.
About the gameplay, 90% of the features are aready working. Magic and inventory panel still need some improvments, but it's a matter of few weeks to finish 100% of the gameplay features. As some of you may have noticed, we are hard workers, (and that's why we are replying the posts so quickly), and building / testing the whole levels in 4 months is enough time. Actually less than 4 months as i keep the last one free to optimize on very low-end mobiles. And we already started to spread the demo a bit to get feedbacks and to correct what need to be on a regulary basis.

Not sure yet about the final duration, probably a bit shorter than Chaos Strikes Back, but it's up to player's experience. The world is split into 4 Chapters, with different play duration.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
The game is already running well on desktop+mobiles, we are exprienced game developers, and we are creating this game with lot of passion.
In that case I haven't actually read your pitch carefully enough.

Look, the big allure of kickstarter/indiegogo projects is that you can buy yourself some dreams. You can help the good cause. It won't be possible without you. But: if you have a working game already that just needs some polish, well, let me just wait those couple of months and buy it if it's good. That's basically a preorder, and people should not preorder video games as proven time and time again.

But I think that we have already explained our positions well, so let me finish at that. Good luck in the development and hope you guys will deliver a cool game.

Weasel
But for the lovers of Dungeon Master and other real time dungeon crawler, there no reason to worry, it can't fail. They can only help make it better, as it's already working....

So would you say this indiegogo campaign is not funding for completion, it's funding for enhancement? And completion is guaranteed?

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
But for the lovers of Dungeon Master and other real time dungeon crawler, there no reason to worry, it can't fail. They can only help make it better, as it's already working....
So would you say this indiegogo campaign is not funding for completion, it's funding for enhancement? And completion is guaranteed?

Yes. I explained on indiegogo page that the game was already quite advanced and that funds will help releasing it quicker and with more content.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yes. I explained on indiegogo page that the game was already quite advanced and that funds will help releasing it quicker and with more content.
A history lesson, just for laughs here :D
Cleve in his first indiegogo campaign said:
COMPLETION NOT SUBJECT TO FUNDING!! THIS GAME WILL SHIP IN MAY 2013 WITH OR WITHOUT ENHANCEMENT!! A PLEDGE HERE WILL BE FULFILLED. THIS CAMPAIGN IS NOT A FUNDING FOR COMPLETION, IT IS A FUNDING FOR ENHANCEMENT!!! COMPLETION IS GUARANTEED HERE!

mastroego

Arcane
A history lesson, just for laughs here :D
Cleve in his first indiegogo campaign said:
COMPLETION NOT SUBJECT TO FUNDING!! THIS GAME WILL SHIP IN MAY 2013 WITH OR WITHOUT ENHANCEMENT!! A PLEDGE HERE WILL BE FULFILLED. THIS CAMPAIGN IS NOT A FUNDING FOR COMPLETION, IT IS A FUNDING FOR ENHANCEMENT!!! COMPLETION IS GUARANTEED HERE!

Indeed, and I made harsh criticism myself in his thread.

This is the kind of thing where you have to be a good judge of character.
That Cleave dude looks an $%)""!@#, so I wouldn't back his game even if I had the certainty of release.
Sawyer is another one I don't like because he seems to add unnecessary self-importance and arrogance to a design approach that I personally find completely wrong.

Kanda, OTOH, seems like a passionate gamer with the heart in the right place.
Now, of course the safe course is to just plain avoid ALL kinds of early purchases (Lord knows I've had my share of disappointments: Elemental, Endless Space to name just two), but I thought to myself "what the hell" and I backed this game anyway.
I like the art, I like what these guys are trying to do, and they seem humble too (how refreshing!!!! :salute:and from French guys, no less! It counts double), so yeah, here's my money.

Can't always live like a robot, have to trust your instincts sometimes.

kanda:
try to preemptively tackle the Grimrock issue. Just say that you've been working on the game for years, and Grimrock's success gave you courage enough for the final push.
I guess this is what really happened, more or less, right?

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Will it have outdoors, or just be a big dungeon you never get out of until you beat the game?

having outdoor regions will differentiate it from Grimrock.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
Will it have outdoors, or just be a big dungeon you never get out of until you beat the game?

I promised my self to not spoil. But some people here have been very nice to me, and RPGCodex made a nice new. So i'll reply straight away:
YES. There is an outdoor environment.

Some will tell you than Grimrock 2 has an outdoor planned too. But, believe me, this outdoor environment in Dungeon Kingdom is very different and has been almost never seen in a Dungeon Crawler except in Ishar 2. And the ambiance is terrible ! I am sorry, but i am SO excited about it !

I will publish screens during the Indiegogo campaign !

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
And the ambiance is terrible !
In English, "terrible" doesn't have the sense of "great", "terrific" or "fantastic", just "horrible" or "awful" (which I'm guessing is not your intent). ;)

Your excitement is contagious and I'm really looking forward to your Ĺ“uvre.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
And the ambiance is terrible !
In English, "terrible" doesn't have the sense of "great", "terrific" or "fantastic", just "horrible" or "awful" (which I'm guessing is not your intent). ;)

Your excitement is contagious and I'm really looking forward to your Ĺ“uvre.

sorry, indeed, when i am so excited, my english become even poorer :)

So yes the ambiance in this chapter is fantastic/terrific ^^

Luzur

Good Sir

I promised my self to not spoil. But some people here have been very nice to me, and RPGCodex made a nice new. So i'll reply straight away:

Some will tell you than Grimrock 2 has an outdoor planned too. But, believe me, this outdoor environment in Dungeon Kingdom is very different and has been almost never seen in a Dungeon Crawler except in Ishar 2. And the ambiance is terrible ! I am sorry, but i am SO excited about it !

I will publish screens during the Indiegogo campaign !

Ishar 2? its been some years since i played that, but i do remember the scenery.

Alright, thumbs up then.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Ăśbermensch Developer
Indeed, and I made harsh criticism myself in his thread.

This is the kind of thing where you have to be a good judge of character.
That Cleave dude looks an $%)""!@#, so I wouldn't back his game even if I had the certainty of release.

You're a good judge of character but you could not get the spelling of my name right.

This is because you are a moron. You were born a moron and so it is not really your fault, being completely outside your capacity to control. You were simply born a moron, period.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Ăśbermensch Developer
This looks like a nearly perfect game. I hope Grimoire II looks half as good as this.

What they really need is turn-based combat or else it will be seen as a clone of Grimrock except with even more sidestepping popamole combat.

If they made this game turn-based it would be absolutely incredible and full of excellence and win.

mastroego

Arcane
You're a good judge of character but you could not get the spelling of my name right.

This is because you are a moron. You were born a moron and so it is not really your fault, being completely outside your capacity to control. You were simply born a moron, period.

I am Italian, you gentle sir.
And I didn't feel like going back to the thread to check your name.
Let's compare your Italian with my English, and let's see who scores more points, shall we?

Also, I have technically not offended you, since I "censored" the word (if you assumed the worst that's on you: probably you think you'd deserve it after all), whereas you did offend me, like you do with people on this forum all the time.

nomask7

Arcane
This looks like a nearly perfect game. I hope Grimoire II looks half as good as this.

What they really need is turn-based combat or else it will be seen as a clone of Grimrock except with even more sidestepping popamole combat.

If they made this game turn-based it would be absolutely incredible and full of excellence and win.

Arena and Daggerfall proved real-time combat was ideal for a dungeon crawler when you had the right sort of design otherwise. It makes the game less about combat and more about survival, and unlike in turn-based, monsters don't disrupt the mood and flow of the game.

kanda

Hydro Games
Developer
[QUOTE="nomask7, post: 3478161, member: 9420
Arena and Daggerfall proved real-time combat was ideal for a dungeon crawler when you had the right sort of design otherwise. It makes the game less about combat and more about survival, and unlike in turn-based, monsters don't disrupt the mood and flow of the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree !!! and great to maintain some tension !

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Some will tell you than Grimrock 2 has an outdoor planned too. But, believe me, this outdoor environment in Dungeon Kingdom is very different and has been almost never seen in a Dungeon Crawler except in Ishar 2.

Awesome! This sounds promising. :)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Visually looks basically exactly like Grimrock. Games coming out in this genre need to work to differentiate themselves from that game a lot more to not just seem like a shoddy ripoff.
GUYS THIS RPG LOOKS LIKE THIS OTHER RPG AND PLAYS THE SAME WAY WHAT A RIP-OFF.

THIS TOTALLY ISN'T LIKE ALL THOSE ISOMETRIC OVER-HEAD SHOULDER WHATEVER THE FUCK THE ANAL TECHNOCARTS CALL IT GAMES THAT ALL HAVE CLICK TO WALK AND CLICK TO ATTACK AND I TO OPEN INVENTORY HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIP-OFF. LIKE HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THE GRASS IN WASTELAND 2? IT TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE THE GRASS IN THIS OTHER ISOMETRIC RPG I SAW. AND HAVE YOU SEEN THE WALLS IN DOOM 2 AND COMPARED THEM TO THE WALLS IN BLOOD? I HAVEN'T EITHER BUT I BET THEY FUCKING LOOK THE SAME WHAT A JIP.

AND HOLY SHIT VOGEL'S GONE AND CHANGED THE NAMES OF HIS NPCS AGAIN AND RELEASED IT AS A NEW GAME I SEE.

Peter

Arcane

Don't be an idiot. Grimrock casts a long shadow over the genre and it's in the best interests of some random IndieGoGo dude to be standing as far away from it as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom