Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon - A Real-time Dungeon Crawler on IndieGoGo

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, Sep 7, 2014.

1. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    You're right. He should add more elements from Candy Crush so as to differentiate his game from BEING A BLOBBER.

You god-damned retards.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    Hello everyone!
    Sorry i forgot to "watch the thread" ! I just added it.
    Let's show you some portraits for the game : (i published other ones on the indiegogo page) :
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  3. Peter Arcane

Peter
    Am I being trolled or are you being serious with these strawmen?

^ Top  
  4. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    This guy can draw!
    Seriously guys, not much traffic there still I see, try to get in contact with some game-zines or something...

^ Top  
  5. Villagkouras Cipher

Villagkouras
    The first RPG featuring Jesus Christ?

J/K, portraits are great, game looks really solid.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Yes, he could replace the stone walls and floors in his carved out of stone dungeon with exotic materials. Perhaps an avant-garde plastic design and bespoke timber framing? The addition of rugs will definitely make people think this isn't a Grimrock clone and instead of the yellow and orange glow from fires (you know the one, the sort of ambient fire-inspired lighting you'd expect in a stone dungeon that's lit with torches), they could go with a neon and fluorescent combination to give it that modern feel.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Peter Arcane

Peter
    Again with the exaggeration.

It's possible to achieve a more unique aesthetic while still maintaining a traditional blobber look/feel. The screenshot the dev posted near the bottom of page 2 is already more visually interesting than that first video, imo, while still being a completely traditional dungeon. It's not just that the first video has a vaguely Grimrock vibe, it's that it looks almost exactly like it, much like how Grimrock lifted its aesthetic almost completely from Black Crypt.

All I'm saying is that it's not in the dev's interest for the Steam masses to shrug this off as a Grimrock clone. Changing small elements in the visuals would go some ways in helping against this.

I won't be arguing any more. Hopefully you can get through your thick skull what I meant.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. bloodlover Arcane

bloodlover
    So the races are human, dwarf, elf and...?

^ Top  
  9. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    dark elf, halfing, and some "unreferenced/more exotic ones" :)

^ Top  
  10. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    No worries dude, i got you. And the 3 others environments are very differents, in no way you will be able to compare them to grimrock (and the 2 included, from what i have seen from then currently, but, of course, there'll be probably some suprises from them too...). And about the bricks one, the walls are one thing, but the decoration, furnitures and also add some variety (sorry for my english ^^), and we have room to make levels to look different. thanks for your feedbacks.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Magellan Savant

Magellan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Yes, Jesus is going to be a playable wizard character. He starts with three spells in his spell book: Create food, inspire, and of course resurrection. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    Sorry, missed it. What do you mean by combat mambo ? The fact that we keep moving / attacking ?

^ Top  
  13. t Arcane Patron

t
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The cooldown on the res spell is a huge downside though: 3 fucking days?!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    Well, let me be clear: we are not going, of course, replace a turn based game about the range of possible strategies. Also, Dungeon Kingdom, obviously, is not a fighting game. However, we work a lot of the environments usage to help fighting creatures. It will happen in the game that you meet very strong creatures, probably too strong for most of players, and you'll have to use carefully your environment. A funny example, in Dungeon Master is when you use the doors to bash creatures. We can do that in DK, despite they won't stay long under the door here. There will be many opportunities for player to avoir direct combat. But it will be a choice....Except the few situations you will have to avoid the fight, you can choose (when possible, but it happens often). For example, we don't have "memory" split for each levels, all the levels are continuous...this can be a great source of strategies to kills beast: just put a lot of heavy rocks on a closed pit, if there is a grid under your fit, you can activate the lever on right time to hurt the creature by opening the pit with the rocks falling. About dancing around, it won't alway happen, depending the level topology. Also think about the creatures, they don't have all a behavior that allow you to use the a circle tip. I try to take care to the AI so, as far as possible, not all creature will react the same way.

About the design philosophy, well my main reference being Chaos Strikes Back, for the level design, if you played it, you'll quickly understand that's Dungeon King has a very different Dungeon design from Grimrock. And, i don't want to spoil too much, but actually there is more than just "dungeon" environment...! We also want to use a lot the level verticality, as we are not constrained by grid on height axis. The second thing is the real physics. So you can throw item in a realistic way, here i mean it will have a free trajectory, and won't stuck to grid alignment. If you combine those 3 features, real physics, no level limitation in height axis, continuous levels....You can imagine the great possibilities in the level design...! Add to this some other stuffs, like burning some part of environment... ^^

About the Game system, we are closer to Dungeon Master than to grimrock. (not tree here). Also the magic is a bit different. Like in DM and Grim, we can create spells using runes, but need to do it only once. When you create some, these spells are added in your spell book forever. You can then cast them whenever you want, as long you have the required mana. And you have a few quick launch slots, so it's up to you to assign the rights spells before a fight, according the creatures.

And the ambiance side, the tension factor is important, often missing in the clones of Dungeon Master.

i hope i answered to your wonders ^^ Tell me if you need more details.

^ Top  
  15. Magellan Savant

Magellan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    LMAO! Well played sir!

^ Top  
  16. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    Hello all,

A quick update to tell you about the campaign on indiegogo ( http://igg.me/at/dungeonkingdom) :

We'll be a bit more quiet the next days. we are preapring a trailer with new environments for the last part of the campaign, so no worries, we are still very active even we don't publish screens or only few updates for few days. That's said, i am still keeping an eye on the forums if there are some questions. And thanks to all spreading the word. Thanks so much to the RPGCodex community.

kanda

^ Top  
  17. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    sorry dudes, the link above to the indiegogo campaign was mistyped, here is the right one (and thanks to the user who did report it to me)
    http://igg.me/at/dungeonkingdom
    While i am here, let's post a new screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Regards all!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Why isn't people pledging this?
    Kanda, you have to contact some websites, this thread isn't enough apparently

^ Top  
  19. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    He did , but mainstream sites even french ones arent helping . Tough world for indies.

^ Top  
  20. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    Well, i wonder too :)
    Actually, according the statistics, we got a few pledgers coming from RPGCodex domain, exactly 5, which is much better than nothing, and thanks so much to them.

About contacting Websites: well, i'll tell you my daily life since we started the campaign: posting, posting, posting, writing mails, hundreds of mails....
    The thing is, we got lot of support on Steam Greenlight, many great comments, we almost reached the top 100 (and i guess we are close to be validated?) without being relayed in press. Which means we have a good amount of potential buyers and a growing community. But there is a problem: even we added link to the indiegogo campaign on the steam greenlight page, most of them will never know about it as they don't get notified of my updates on the greenlight page. This is a first mistake, we should have run both campaigns at the same time (indiegogo and greenlight), so we would have probably get more pledges because of the exposure on Steam on the main page of project during the 3-4 first days. But now, it's very difficult to reach them. We recently started a Dungeon Kingdom group on steam, and we are trying to invite the most enthusiasts based on their comments. But it's taking a lot of time!

But the main problem i think is the press...Not the RPG press, which welcomed us nicely and that was so helpful (thanks again to RPG Codex staff for their post!), but the main video game press. They simply never reply your request, and probably not even read the email we have sent to them. First, they prefer make some post about somthing which make the buzz, as they need traffic to earn more with advertising. Secondly, they probably also receive too many request. But, i also contacted a few guys working as writter on thoses websites, directly, on FB or other way, they just don't reply too. I thought, that as the project is french, and their site is french too, perhaps they could help us just a little bit, who knows ? But no way, they just didn't care. They are absolutely not supporting creativity! Everybody in the community is so surprised, and we eveng ot a few guys from it trying to post themselves and reach those site, without any positive result.I should rename myself to "John carmack" or any famous name, and all doors would probably suddenly open for us.

That's said, we keep working hard, posting to forum to introduce the project, trying reaching more and more websites, keep writing to all "contact@xxxx.com" on earth.... And at the same time, we are improving our strategy, and preparing the 10 last days of the campaign. We are working on a trailer, more dynamic than the gameplay videos, with two new (very different environments). We'll then repost everywhere in a short while. At the same time, not sure yet, but we may have a few articles, even not on major websites, still good ones and we hope it will help too.

The sad thing is, i couldn't add any single new line of code since the begining of the campaign, but it's worth working hard on promoting to reach any single new pledgers.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    You have perfectly expressed what i wanted to say, and with only a few words :)
    thanks ^^
    This the major problem.

Each time we finally reach some dungeon crawler fans, they write us and say they are so happy about our project. But we can't reach the others...

^ Top  
  22. bussinrounds Augur

bussinrounds
  23. kanda Hydro Games Developer

kanda
    Yes i did ;)
    this is the first place with grim boards wich i introduced the project in 2013 :)

Regards.

^ Top  
  24. Abelian Somebody's Alt

Abelian
    Google translation (plus a few stylistic touch-ups) of the most recent article from the indiegogo updates page:

^ Top  
  25. Abelian Somebody's Alt

Abelian
    Google translation (plus a few stylistic touch-ups) of another French article from the indiegogo updates page:
    http://www.pockett.net/n24098_iPhon..._Moon_en_campagne_de_financement_participatif

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.