Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Lords first impressions

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Check it out

Also, here is a funny story:

Another piece of stupdity for the list, was running along the catacombs and opened a coffin only to get pinned up against the wall by the coffin lid unable to move thus having to quit the game and reload.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. This title was in development for fucking ever, too, and it is still a piece of shit. As much of a disappointment as DW's last title was, this just doesn't come as much of a surprise. However, it sounds like this one is even worse.

I enjoyed DW's Wizardry titles. This is what he deserves for selling out into the mainstream action "CRPG" genre. He should have grown some balls and stuck with what he knows better. Sure nobody would play it but a few dedicated TB RPG freaks, but at least his name would not be associated with a crappy game. Of course, I understand having a small, cult following won't pay the electric bill. DW is going from being a ground breaking developer of great games to a grondbreaking developer of absolute shit. It really pisses me off when one of the legendary developers sells out and makes a crap game. Richard Garriot did the same thing with Ultima 9, M&M went to hell too with its Doom-like gameplay.

No offense, Shag, I know you were really looking forward to this one.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Also, lots of people are mentioning that there were 2 different "Disk II" CDs shipped (I didn't get an extra one). One seems to install the game without letting the player save their progress, the other without letting them access game options from the pause menu.
A true Tyranny of Choice (tm)!

LlamaGod

Cipher
I enjoyed DW's Wizardry titles. This is what he deserves for selling out into the mainstream action "CRPG" genre. He should have grown some balls and stuck with what he knows better.

Wizards and Warriors? o wiat.

D.W. Bradley has always sucked. He made Wizadry 5-7, so fucking what. He's probably a furry too.

Anyways, I have yet to see a single copy available around here anywhere, I guess retailers here just dont give a shit.

I'm gonna get a pirated copy of this game because: 1) It's not worth any money 2)Its such a blow-over piece of shit that it'll be gone from torrent sites and stores within a year, and I wanna hang on to this relic of dogshit

Edit: On a fun note, the character appearance options that are unlit in the retail version that are disabled due to a "bug" (so I guess the demo was the build at the moment of demo release and not actually a mini-version of the game..).. if you open the manual and look at the character options, the appearance options are unlit in the picture too.

Nothing like shipping off the manual with pictures of your failure.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
space captain said:
how long have we been saying this will happen?? too long

this was not only predicted, it was SEEN and KNOWN like the diamond of truth itself
Yeah, kinda.
I think the consensus all along was that it was going to be a buggy piece of shit. Not that it will ship missing a heap of stuff that was stated was in the game. That possibility came up more recently, when there was some debate about what stage of development the demo represented.
Part of the thing that sux is that a lot of optimistic types submitted bugs, and the dev rep on the forums was responding, saying that this and that have been fixed or added. Even with the "characters are all left handed" thing, he baldly stated that he has seen the current build, and the characters were fighting right-handed.
So what is up with that? Was he lying? Or is the released version not even the current build? :shrug:

EvilManagedCare said:
No offense, Shag, I know you were really looking forward to this one.
Heh, that's all right man.
I've always stated that I was slightly nuts to be looking forward to this. And even if it was not a beta release, that I may be the only one (well, there are af few others I guess) who likes it here.
Perhaps if they churn out some ultimate patching madness, and the game quickly tumbles into the bargain bins (and it will), then it might still be worth buying.
:sigh:
The eternal optimist...

Spazmo

Erudite
Don't worry, Shagnak. If there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that there will be lots of other shitty games for you to enjoy.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
EvilManagedCare said:
t really pisses me off when one of the legendary developers sells out and makes a crap game. Richard Garriot did the same thing with Ultima 9, M&M went to hell too with its Doom-like gameplay.
Except that Richard Garriot fucking hated UIX, badmouthed EA and for the shit they did to his cherished series. And nobody gives a shit about DW Bradley. You don't have fucking rabid fans outside his window and shit asking for an autograph. I could possibly care less about what happens to him, hopefully his career will crash and will realize he should go back to making turn-based RPGs, minus the furry shit. Fucking furcadian.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Latest update:

Pain sting doesnt do anything. Only a small leaning forward animation (not even any cool color-lighting effects ) is done, nothing else.
pain sting is so easy to get yet it doesnt work, the irony burns me!
multi-player : NO- PLAYER DAMAGE / EASY dont work still take damage every time the other player hits me
I know this sucks and no matter how buggy the game is the developers do work hard on it BUT I am sick and tired of all these **** companys making me spend my money to beta their games. If they want to save money at our expense I say screw em download the full game first if you like it please buy it but if not toss it. Maybe this will teach these companys that they cant screw us over any more.
And for all those people who dont agree with this (which is perfectly fine. I dont want a morale debate) think of it this way instead of us paying for a partial almost unusable product and then having them deliver the rest when they feel like it which could be years if ever we play it and if or when it is complete we give them our money. Maybe they will think twice about releasing unfinished product. Hopefully this will hurt the distributer as well considering they are the ones that almost always force the design team to realese an unfinished product.

By the way what the **** is up with my charecter randomly discarding items? And please fix the camera it feels like your trying to control a balloon floating on water. Play ever quest 2 check out that camera system and copy it!

PS THESE PEOPLE DO DESERVE OUR MONEY AND I AM NOT A FAN OF STEALING BUT WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY THEM TO BETA SO I FIGURE WE DOWNLOAD IT AND BETA IT FOR THEM FOR FREE AND WE GET A GAME TO PLAY FOR FREE. WHEN THE TIME COMES WHERE PLAYING OUR GAMES ISN'T A PART TIME JOB IN DEBUGING AND QC WE WILL PAY FOR THEM.
1. Switching resolution to 1024x768 makes the main menu offset and awkward to access.

2. No in game map.

3. Cannot repair items except shields.

4. Junk category (to hold all the duplicate items) does not work.

5. When loading a game the graphics go into a rapid strobing fit, which is perfect if you want to have a seizure.

Ultimate conclusion, Dreamcatcher needed to put a little more time into the development and stability testing of this game. It looks like it was a waste of $40 bucks until they fix these and other problems that we're having.
Installed fine, plays intro fine....Sits at the opening screen forever and does nothing....There is a portcullis there, but no options to select as seen in the manual.

If I wait forever, they will eventually show, but clicking on them seems to do nothing.

I've turned off sound acceleration, does nothing to help. I've tried at multiple resolutions, does nothing to help.

My system is good. NO background apps, drivers up-to-date.
Hmm, I don't think that this approach makes sense anymore. It would be much easier to post what actually works in the damn game. Ok, people, we have it on good authority that the installation process is solid, and the intro is playable. If you want more, wait for another year or two.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Vault Dweller said:
Hmm, I don't think that this approach makes sense anymore. It would be much easier to post what actually works in the damn game.
Heh. NO it wouldn't. It would take a bit of scouring to find anything by the looks of it!

The forum appears to be almost unmoderated over there.
Not much of an "official presence" or anything.

taks

Liturgist
ya gotta wonder what the fuck this idiot was thinking when he released a game that is obviously not done. i mean, i griped about toee but at least it was playable. this guy just sank his company since the title will NEVER sell now that the cat's out of the bag it sucks. day one. no wonder i didn't hear anything about its release yesterday. i mean, if it's going to suck that bad, why even release it when you know you're going to get killed on the shelves? moronic.

oh, btw, i was in EB today to pick up a copy of Shadows of Underwear (need it for the new dragonlance stuff) and they had a copy of DL on the shelves. i looked at it and said "nah, i've got enough going on... i'll wait for the reviews." the guy behind the counter said "it just came in yesterday all of a sudden. we got two copies." there was still one on the shelf. the other was probably in the car on the way back.

taks

Eron

Novice
It's really not that bad.. I personally enjoy it..A lot of the complaints are just that.. Complaints.. No auto map, big deal.. Maybe u should actually look at your surroundings..

Anyhow, ya it's not polished like a retail game should be.. But a lot of people that like high fantasy settings will miss a good play if they just go off all the crap thats being spewed by the forums...

I guess everythings gotta be perfect today for the kiddies to like it.. That should pretty much ensure all small developers go under and we keep getting fed piles of crap, and more RTS/RPG's

Fez

Erudite
Of course only kiddies like finished, unbroken products.

obediah

Erudite
Eron said:
It's really not that bad.. I personally enjoy it..A lot of the complaints are just that.. Complaints.. No auto map, big deal.. Maybe u should actually look at your surroundings..

Anyhow, ya it's not polished like a retail game should be.. But a lot of people that like high fantasy settings will miss a good play if they just go off all the crap thats being spewed by the forums...

I guess everythings gotta be perfect today for the kiddies to like it.. That should pretty much ensure all small developers go under and we keep getting fed piles of crap, and more RTS/RPG's

As a fellow old curmudgeon, you need a reality check. These damn kiddies today buy and praise far buggier games than I ever had to deal with as a kid. We may have had to walk two miles up hilll both ways to buy a new C64 game, but it worked when we got it home - unless your little sister filled the floppy drive with crackers or something.

Eron

Novice
The game works. If It didn't work I'd be pissed.. So I guess I am lucky eh?

I'm not saying the problems being reported are false, as I said the game indeed lacks polish and I am sure many people will experience compatibility problems, and various other glicthes..

You know, games used to be a lot easier to make than they are today too.. And the market is MUCH different.. But you know that..

I have yet to finish dungeon lords, so I will let u know what I think. But I can tell you so far I am not experiencing anything dramatically out of the ordinary as far as bugs are concerned..

The game needs polish, and YES it was rushed.. Geesh I admit it.

I wonder how many people would know a game even had issues if they didn't read about it all over the forums, that we DID not have as a kid.. I remember all kinds of festering games.. Battlespire..... ect...

So who's to blame?

The game has potential.. so who's fault is it? The dev's or the publishers?

Age old question.. I don't care because I am having fun..

Eron

Novice
Oh so this is the kind of place this is, is it?

Why are u insulting me for liking a game?

Eron

Novice
Ur pretty funny. Fortunately for me I don't assosiate with your kind. So kindly fuck right off.. You know what, I don't know why this is an RPG forum, Nobody here at the codex likes RPG games, all you fucking people do is bitch about em..

Anyhow, get off while you can calling people names and shit on the internet asswipe, cuz in real life I bet you don't say shit to no one, and kiss ass all day to get by..

I like what I like.. You like what you like.. You don't have to be a fucking hitler and try to tell me different.. Go fuck yourself.. Whats your favorite game Dolphin dick?

There was no need for insults fuckface..

aboyd

Liturgist
Eron said:

And with that single post, I forever write off Eron as an astroturfer.

-Tony

Eron

Novice
What's An Astroturfer?

Anyhow, geesh, whats the big deal.. I like the game.. I liked NWN too,... Oh no, whats that mean?

I never insulted anyone till I was attacked.. Ok, so maybe I am a bit more forgiving.. and maybe it's simply because I really like the art direction in the game.. I know I gave sacred a hard time, and what really is the difference here?

So I apologize for using the term kiddies, and I even apologize for lashing back at my attacker..

But I like the game.> Do I need to apologize for that too?

taks

Liturgist
Eron said:
I guess everythings gotta be perfect today for the kiddies to like it..
dunno 'bout you, but i expect the things i buy to be perfect or a reasonable facsimile thereof. playstation games are at the very least finished when they're released.

That should pretty much ensure all small developers go under and we keep getting fed piles of crap, and more RTS/RPG's
uh, hate to break it to you but half the crap is coming from small developers... if you can't build a better moustrap, start selling vacuum cleaners.

taks

DemonKing

Arcane
Eron said:
You know what, I don't know why this is an RPG forum, Nobody here at the codex likes RPG games, all you fucking people do is bitch about em..

LOL - I think I should add this to my sig.

Well, I kind of enjoyed the demo in the same way I kind of enjoyed Episode 1 - there were some good elements, and any kind of fantasy CRPG is welcome in this day and age, but damn there were some annoying and frustrating bits.

I'll wait till a patch or two is released to see if they're committed to sorting out the problems or whatever the publisher is just dumping it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom