Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Lords first impressions

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
I could possibly care less about what happens to him, hopefully his career will crash and will realize he should go back to making turn-based RPGs, minus the furry shit. Fucking furcadian.

Amen to that. Furry things were just damned stupid. Kind of like including those dumb assed ninjas years after the enthusiasm for that whole thing had diminished. Ooh, look at me everybody, I'm a NINJA! Look out, I'm throwing my pointy stars. Now I shall make my escape by throwing this fancy flash powder. Oops, stepped on a caltrop! Damn it to hell...

HATE HATE HATE

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Update from the forums:

Captain Obvious said:
I am not myself aware of all issues with Dungeon Lords, as I have only just gotten to Fargrove and to the Temple. However, I have read the many problems many have had, from the obvious lack of changing appearance, to the missing background music, missing spells, and other less severe bugs. What we have to realize is that these are just that, bugs, or otherwise features that have not yet been implemented.
Thanks for clearing that out for us!
I just purchased the game today and have been playing it. As a consumer, I am not really happy with the condition this game was released in. I certainly understand how most everyone would be upset and want to let the developers and whoever else know about it.

However, this game really has the potential to be great and I would like to ask everyone to encourage the developers and not discourage them as they try to patch the game into something that we all will enjoy. It doesn't do them or us any good to tear them and D.W. Bradley down when I'm sure they all want this game to be the best playing experience it can be. Please take a step back, maybe put the game on the shelf temporarily, and give them time to fix it. : )
I like the response to that one:
"If by "put the game on the shelf" you mean back on the store shelf for a refund, then I agree with you."
But if you dump the game and wait to get it out of the bargain bin, the developers might dump future patches due to poor sales and then nothing will get done. It just depends on how much you really want to see this game work out.

While I'm not in the regular habit of giving charity to a development company on a regular basis, something tells me that D.W. Bradley and crew will make sure this game works out. That's the only reason why I consider my purchase price as an investiment this time around.
"Something tells me..." lol, that's priceless. Something tells me Bradley worked on it for years and still couldn't make it right, so, yeah, he will fix all that mess of a game in a jiffy.

Missing spells: Um. There's like 100 on the list. Even if 20% weren't there, that's more spells than most games give you. You probably wouldn't even use half of them anyway.
That's the spirit!

freelance

Novice
Eron said:
What's An Astroturfer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfer

This seems to become increasingly common. For example, after SOE announced the "stationexchange" users ripped them a new one in few hours at the forums.
A day later new accounts popped up defending the exchange vehemently in every thread. While impossible to prove, many users believed that they were "poisoning the well" when criticism went out of hand.

aaand before you ask wtf stationexchange is... http://stationexchange.station.sony.com/

Rune_74

Novice
YOu guys are such complete idiots....vault dweller is so fucking stupid and it shows every time he posts and all you fucking retarded teenagers following....have you played the game? I have its actually cool....none of you like rpgs...and none of you act like you are above 12....big surprise since the internet lets you be retards.

Congrats on evolution.

Spazmo

Erudite
I doubt this is astroturfing, since such efforts generally will result in statements of praise for (in this case) the game that don't make it sound worse by implying that its fans suffer from Down's syndrome.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
So, wait... People that seem to totally want to ignore blatant amounts of lack of polish in a product are accusing others of being retarded?

The internet really lets anyone be retarded, but it doesn't seem to clue in those that choose to be so.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yay! A flame war! I missed people coming here and telling us how stupid we are!

Rune_74 said:
YOu guys are such complete idiots...
A very promising opening. 7/10 for the line and 1/10 bonus for extra capital in "YOu". Total 9/10

....vault dweller is so fucking stupid
Very smooth transition from a general attack to a personal attack. 8/10

and it shows every time he posts
Is this guy on fire or what? Not only he's accusing but he's also backing it up with facts. Well, almost facts, but let's not nitpick. 9/10!

...and all you fucking retarded teenagers following....
Holy fuck! I can't believe it. He made a perfect circle! The crowd goes wild! He started by insulting everyone, switched to a personal attack on the fly, and ended his attack by insulting everyone again! What a great combo!!! Perfect 10/10!!!!

have you played the game? I have its actually cool....
Do tell.

bgillisp

Scholar
So, wiat a second...people are defending the game as just having features missing? What's next? Someone will rush out a game with the graphics and sound missing (coming in a later patch), and people will defend the game as just missing these features? If the game is incomplete it is incomplete. Missing features that are supposed to be there makes the game just that, incomplete. And, there is no excuse for that.

Now, to anyone that has played Dungeon Lords...how complete is it? That seems to be the point that everyone is getting at here, is that the game was rushed out in an incomplete state. And, those of us here do like RPG's, but just want them to be complete games when they are released. That seems to be what we are all griping about with this game.

NeVeRLiFt

Liturgist
I just like hanging out and reading the posts here and checking the reviews done on games and trying to stay current on games.
I just cant believe this game was released in the mess it is. I downloaded the Hoodlum release of this game and loaded the bin file in Daemon tools (not wanting to waste a cd on it) and tested it out and its amazing this game was released! This game needs a patch and alot polish! God damn people Troika ended up going out of business cause of this same shit! And I love Troika!! God help us all if this is what RPG'ers have to look forward to as the future. I deleted the game and wish I had not wasted my bandwidth on it!

Eron said:
Ur pretty funny. Fortunately for me I don't assosiate with your kind. So kindly fuck right off.. You know what, I don't know why this is an RPG forum, Nobody here at the codex likes RPG games, all you fucking people do is bitch about em..

Anyhow, get off while you can calling people names and shit on the internet asswipe, cuz in real life I bet you don't say shit to no one, and kiss ass all day to get by..

I like what I like.. You like what you like.. You don't have to be a fucking hitler and try to tell me different.. Go fuck yourself.. Whats your favorite game Dolphin dick?

There was no need for insults fuckface..
Learn to spell, dipshit.

And find some taste in games.

Later, fag.

Eron

Novice
I never called anyone retarded for not liking dungeon lords, or the mess it was released in.

Ya, I am dissapointed too ya know.. I want it finished and polished..

ALL I AM saying is a lot of the bugs being reported are idiotic..

For example.. People are complaining about no crosshairs... Another is complaining because his system pauses for a split second when changing races in the character generation screen to load a new texture.. ect..

And I was also saying that I actually am enjoying this unfinished abomination. I wasn't defending it's current state, or that publishers should be releasing this kind of thing..

The devs are working hard, and they are working on a patch as we speak.. THAT's all I was saying.. Then I was vicously attacked, called a cunt.. ect..

So....

If there's one thing I hate worse than crappy games, it's the dipshit apologists that come out of the woodwork to explain things off. I don't think it's formal astroturfing, I just think these are the unfortunate people who bought the game and are desperately trying to rationalize the still-warm dogshit they just spent $40 on. They realize the game is ass, they realize they just blew $40, so they march out to forums and post nonsensical, irrational bullshit in defense of the game with the hopes of not convincing others, but of convincing themselves.

Eron

Novice
Ok, So thats astroturfing.. So what do you call dipshits that haven't even played the game and post shit on forums about how bad and buggy the game is?

Eron said:
The devs are working hard, and they are working on a patch as we speak.. THAT's all I was saying.. Then I was vicously attacked, called a cunt.. ect..
Too fucking little. Too fucking late.

The devs should have worked hard BEFORE THE FUCKING GAME SHIPPED. They didn't. Now you just wasted $40 on boxed dogshit.

See, I sympathize with optimists who bought the game despite all evidence pointing to it being a disaster. They were the brave people at the front lines who were willing to 'take one for the team' and check out the game just in case a miracle happened. Well, the game ended up sucking like expected. I continue to respect those opitimists who return the game or, god help them if they couldn't return it, just shelve it or throw it away.

My respect evaporates for the turncoat faggots who start defending the game, like they're trying to justify the $40 they just wasted. If you admit it's an assy game... why are you defending it? If you know it's an unfinished piece of shit... why are you putting up with it?

Raise your right hand. Move it down to your crotch. Feel around for your tiny package. Found it yet? Alright, good. Balls in hand, march into the fucking store you bought Dungeon Lords from and raise hell. Get your fucking money back. Do what it takes.

bgillisp

Scholar
undead dolphin hacker said:
If there's one thing I hate worse than crappy games, it's the dipshit apologists that come out of the woodwork to explain things off. I don't think it's formal astroturfing, I just think these are the unfortunate people who bought the game and are desperately trying to rationalize the still-warm dogshit they just spent $40 on. They realize the game is ass, they realize they just blew $40, so they march out to forums and post nonsensical, irrational bullshit in defense of the game with the hopes of not convincing others, but of convincing themselves.

It's called cognitive dissonance...people cannot stand to realize they made a mistake, so they rationalize it to others loudly to convince themselves...we see it all the time in Psychology studies.

bgillisp said:
undead dolphin hacker said:

It's called cognitive dissonance...people cannot stand to realize they made a mistake, so they rationalize it to others loudly to convince themselves...we see it all the time in Psychology studies.
Correct. Only reason I didn't invoke the ol' C.D. is that I've found the average boardreader (or victim of C.D.) has no clue what it actually is.

bgillisp

Scholar
So very true. Considering the average IQ of the internet user, I can see why you left it out.

Eron

Novice
The only point that's proven here, is that 90% of you never even tried DL.. GO download it at least and look at it

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I was going to say something, but seriously, why bother? This recent rise in alarming stupidity is killing away all my brain cells. Why do we still bother with dumbfucks that just come here and do nothing but stir shit up while clearly lacking in any visible capability to put forth intelligent arguments?

Just let these idiots choke on their own drool. It's the only thing they can do right, anyway.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Why do we still bother with dumbfucks that just come here and do nothing but stir shit up while clearly lacking in any visible capability to put forth intelligent arguments?
The same reason we argue with Volo all the time:
Because it's fun to make fun of stupid asses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom