Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How likely is it that my game is going to explode after trying to continue with the pre-release build? Because loading that save gives me "ACHTUNG ACHTUNG" messages, and while I'm not particularly far in (just killed Barca), I'd really rather not repeat Ant-whacking Simulator 2016.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Agreed, and if you've only killed Barca it will tke you probably an hour or less to reach this point again. Once you reach Crystal caves with your old saves you will start getting crashes and rage quit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'd really rather not repeat Ant-whacking Simulator 2016.
Of come on, it's fun.

The problem is that it's only fun because the way it's spaced out is exactly just fine and ends precisely before you start getting bored - killing the ant queen made me go "finally no more ants, if there were just 2 more of those encounters, I'd probably get annoyed/pissed, now let's proceed to something else!" So you can probably imagine me not being particularly happy about not proceeding to something else right now.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Radeon? Which drivers are you using?

Yeah HD7970, I think I'm using 16.3.2 or something?

64-bit freezes in both Dungeon Rats and AoD, but they seldom work in 32-bit (sometimes they freeze, but I think if I alt-tab in the menu before I load the game it avoids the freeze)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Radeon? Which drivers are you using?

Yeah HD7970, I think I'm using 16.3.2 or something?

64-bit freezes in both Dungeon Rats and AoD, but they seldom work in 32-bit (sometimes they freeze, but I think if I alt-tab in the menu before I load the game it avoids the freeze)
You need 16.9.1 driver (Crimson edition). Alternatively, you can use the 32-bit version (which has less memory) or you can set lighting to low or lowest, which fixes the problem. Basically, when we upgraded the engine in May, many Radeon users started experiencing these freezes due to the way the engine handles lighting. We reached out to AMD, they played the game until they manage to figure out the problem and tweak their drivers (which was mighty nice of them).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tj1KMGk.jpg

nice reference :obviously:

Mozg

Arcane
Happy my favorite somewhat counterintuitive thing still works - wearing a shield gives you vs. ranged and vs. crit even if dodging is your primary defense. Although it always made sense in the GURPS "passive vs. active defense" interpretation.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I just finished my first playthrough. Solo Murderous Psychopath with a 2H spear dodge build. It took me twelve hours and had a blast with this combat system.

I only hit massive walls in the second fight, which seemed to me like a filter for builds and made me spend over an hour restarting the game until I was satisfied, which I didn't really mind, and then the
fight against the Emperor, which seemed like borderline bullshit for solo melee builds due to the enemy placement and while I slowly progressed after realizing I needed to forge better equipment, then applying poison to my spear, then using throwables and then drinking berserk and neurostimulant during battle planning, I still feel like I only succeeded in the end due to RNG feeling merciful after almost three hours of trying. I wish the enemies rushed through the side doors instead of having ranged troops positioned in a way you're almost guaranteed to have two behind you any time and in a place that forces you to take the long way around to reach them. The good music helped make it a bit more bearable, though.

Also, I have to say something about the ending.
I thoroughly enjoyed that final fight against the Centuria. It was very good both thematically and mechanically. Thematically because the text and dialogues really helped make a point you and your fellow prisoners were making an increasingly desperate last stand for your freedom, and little details like the extra paragraph in the "Death against humans" Game Over screen make you feel like a goddamn badass. Mechanically because it let you fight against different compositions of enemy groups in a short time while having to manage your resources and health.
Good job. I can't say as often as I'd like that a game left me with a grin on my face after I finished it.

Last edited:

hivemind

third roxanna fight and constructs guarding the healing machine hardest fights for me so far(about to finish final boss once I kill those retarded constructs) for a 6 cha sword/block character

boss fight against "berserker" by far the best designed one imo

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I couldn't beat the healing machine fight for the life of me. The nail-shooting construct literally raped me every single time and my char has 10 dodge/10 DEX. Not sure that fight's doable on solo.

AndreGAS

Novice
I couldn't beat the healing machine fight for the life of me. The nail-shooting construct literally raped me every single time and my char has 10 dodge/10 DEX. Not sure that fight's doable on solo.

Dodge 10/DEX 10, MP solo, sword, heavy worm armor (DR 6/max AP 12/penalty 0). Step back, throw fire to make a room only for one melee construct to approach, survive their 2 turns in a row (2nd turn shooter either comes closer or shoot at the backs of his comrades), pop a berserk (your Per should be 8+ for solo run and your weapon skill should be 10 at this moment) and neuro for +4 AP. Your main goal is to whack both melee in one turn. Then you should approach shooter in a position where you have something behind your back, because he gives you 4 shieldbashes. After that I've throwed ancient bomb and done him in two strikes.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Use shield for bonus against range attacks.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Doesn't matter in that fight, I still get tagged and swapping to shield leaves me without enough damage to beat the other two constructs before dying(which hurt aswell). Maybe with a blocker build that fight's doable on solo, although I think I might have fucked up with my build a little bit(shouldn't have invested 2 points in INT).

Emmanuel2

Savant

I did it on my first solo-psycho playthrough using Sword/Dodge and took some luck since the warriors have a ridiculous amount of AR. I used liquid fire to line the warrior constructs and make them take hits from the ranged construct instead. It'll leave you with enough HP to tank some ranged hits.

I just finished my first playthrough. Solo Murderous Psychopath with a 2H spear dodge build. It took me twelve hours and had a blast with this combat system.

I only hit massive walls in the second fight, which seemed to me like a filter for builds and made me spend over an hour restarting the game until I was satisfied, which I didn't really mind, and then the
fight against the Emperor, which seemed like borderline bullshit for solo melee builds due to the enemy placement and while I slowly progressed after realizing I needed to forge better equipment, then applying poison to my spear, then using throwables and then drinking berserk and neurostimulant during battle planning, I still feel like I only succeeded in the end due to RNG feeling merciful after almost three hours of trying. I wish the enemies rushed through the side doors instead of having ranged troops positioned in a way you're almost guaranteed to have two behind you any time and in a place that forces you to take the long way around to reach them. The good music helped make it a bit more bearable, though.

Also, I have to say something about the ending.
I thoroughly enjoyed that final fight against the Centuria. It was very good both thematically and mechanically. Thematically because the text and dialogues really helped make a point you and your fellow prisoners were making an increasingly desperate last stand for your freedom, and little details like the extra paragraph in the "Death against humans" Game Over screen make you feel like a goddamn badass. Mechanically because it let you fight against different compositions of enemy groups in a short time while having to manage your resources and health.
Good job. I can't say as often as I'd like that a game left me with a grin on my face after I finished it.

Yeah, the emperor fight for solo dodge builds is ridiculous. I gave up after ~2 hours of reloading since it basically needed the planets to align for it and just rolled a block character. Block builds have it way easier on that fight.

The Centuria ending is indeed pretty fucking awesome.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
How viable is 10 in CS?

How often you crit on usual enemy with it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom