Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Well, i've tried to spend, but they refused. And now i'm sorf of scared. I'm only playing for ~month so if they just lost month's progress it's something to be wary of...
I saw in the post about the Wayfinder crash people mentioning that this is the first time something like this has happened to a server. So it is something extremely rare that I'm not worried about. Plus, my server Sarlona already went through the big server downtime that took a day so I'm not worried.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
So I've found out that Thelanis has consistently more players than any other server and checking out the forum, found this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/511886-This-server-be-dead-(to-new-players-advice)
Is this true in any way? I'm like leisurely playing a rogue on Wayfinder (L8 now) and can maybe get one player to join me in an open group in a given evening. Once I've had a full zerg-party though. So I wonder if I should scrap this char and start another one there.

Codex Year of the Donut
So I've found out that Thelanis has consistently more players than any other server and checking out the forum, found this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/511886-This-server-be-dead-(to-new-players-advice)
Is this true in any way? I'm like leisurely playing a rogue on Wayfinder (L8 now) and can maybe get one player to join me in an open group in a given evening. Once I've had a full zerg-party though. So I wonder if I should scrap this char and start another one there.
Thelanis is the most populated server nearly doubling the next(Cannith.) Open groups typically fill up pretty quick.
I'd suggest new players pick Thelanis but I'm biased because I play there.

_V_

Scholar
So, I finished the Sharn Sagas (on normal). Still have to do the quests at the dock. Overall I liked Ravenloft much better. (Mission design, overall atmosphere)
Given, that both are only available for two more weeks, I'm wondering, which I should "grind" for items and stuff. Syranian Forged Weaponry doesn't seem worth the effort, given that I already have 2 Barovian weapons.
In Sharm several named items look very promising, but no guaranties I'll actually manage to get one. And I expect higher level quests will have even better named items...
Any suggestions? Am I missing some great possibility that I should try to get?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ravenloft and Sharn are not in the coupon. They are just free until end of august.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ravenloft quests are good because there is no traps. Worst quests in the game, i think, is Slavelords arc.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't remember if I purchased ravenloft or not. However, I an earlier epic level and don't have more motivation to play this game. The numbers become too insane on epic.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Ravenloft quests are good because there is no traps. Worst quests in the game, i think, is Slavelords arc.
Well, I am playing a Rogue, mainly solo. Just yesterday I spent an hour in Spies in the House on these janky as hell with lag air jets. In the end, I ran out of cure potions at the electricity part (forgot to stock up before I started) but, fortunately, someone joined and helped. So far the only thing that gives me some amount of frustration apart from random lag and overleveled rushers is that I don't know what level of difficulty to pick when you start the instance, N, H or E. The level is not a solid indication of difficulty, the monster CR isn't, it's always trial and error. I can be 4 levels higher than the target level and still have a hard time in some fights. Sometimes I even have to use a hireling to progress. The most annoying ones are where everything is cool until the last boss and then you're suddenly dumped into a room full of mobs with the door closing behind you :D

Helton

Arcane
Well, I am playing a Rogue, mainly solo. Just yesterday I spent an hour in Spies in the House on these janky as hell with lag air jets. In the end, I ran out of cure potions at the electricity part (forgot to stock up before I started) but, fortunately, someone joined and helped. So far the only thing that gives me some amount of frustration apart from random lag and overleveled rushers is that I don't know what level of difficulty to pick when you start the instance, N, H or E. The level is not a solid indication of difficulty, the monster CR isn't, it's always trial and error. I can be 4 levels higher than the target level and still have a hard time in some fights. Sometimes I even have to use a hireling to progress. The most annoying ones are where everything is cool until the last boss and then you're suddenly dumped into a room full of mobs with the door closing behind you :D

Yeah I agree it is very hard to gauge difficulty. Also length. A "very long" quest might be shorter than a "medium"... Just seems to depend when it came out, and not in any kind of predictable way, just some eras seems they were stingier than others... Also xp efficiency.

Anyways rule of thumb seems to be Hard +2 and Elite +4 to what the "level" says. At least that's what I think.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Got upgrade from +2 to +3 INT tome from rolling 100 today. Planned to grab +2 int tome from favor reward anyway so it's good news.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Haven't had as much time to game as I would like, so progress has been slow for me. Plus I've restarted characters a bunch of times. First I was trying the Paladin/Rogue build that is in the linked guide in my signature, but I found gearing was hard. So after I got to level 7 I decided to start over and try a pure paladin. I got him to level 10, but found that traps were too much of a problem. So I restarted again, this time as a Ranger with one level of rogue so I could deal with traps. Rangers get evasion at level 9 so no reason to take a second level of Rogue. So far I'm loving it, I can deal with traps and do decent damage dual-wielding scimitars. Only downside is that scimitars never seem to drop for my character, and the guy who sells them in the Sarlona auction house sets them at insane prices of 100000pp. Doing R1 four levels above the quest, but was only able to do it cause of good gear that dropped from my previous characters I could use for this toon.
1j30ifn.jpg

_V_

Scholar
My Druid is always getting scimitars as quest rewards (with the class-specific quest reward set). And nobody bought them on auction on Cannith. I've gone ove to simply sell them to bar keeps...:philosoraptor:
Probably the system doesn't consider them ranger specific since rangers get a wider weapon selection. But still weird. (Considering Drizzit and stuff.)

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
My Druid is always getting scimitars as quest rewards (with the class-specific quest reward set). And nobody bought them on auction on Cannith. I've gone ove to simply sell them to bar keeps...:philosoraptor:
Probably the system doesn't consider them ranger specific since rangers get a wider weapon selection. But still weird. (Considering Drizzit and stuff.)
I've got it set to class specific rewards, but in all the quests I run I've only gotten Scimitar's two times as end rewards. It gets my armor right, but the weapons are all stuff that I don't use. I don't know what is up with the Sarlona auction house, but it seems every weapon in my level range is being sold for 100000pp+. How the heck is someone supposed to afford that?

Codex Year of the Donut
classes that use multiple weapons have trouble with class-specific rewards
you won't get your desired weapon at all if it's something through enhancements e.g., mechanics rogue use great crossbows and that's not a "rogue weapon"

FYI Borderlands has good low-level weapons that are very easy to get. You just need one of those ingots that drop from bosses and can turn them in at the village blacksmith.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If you too lazy to do quests just teleport to ravenloft castle and run all the way to the gates to second region. There is 2 possible rare encounters with chests and you often see 2 more regular encounters - with wereraven and scarecrows and with vistani telling story of Strahd, so it's 4 possible chests. Even 5, because there is often zombie horde right in the castle court.

After finishing barovia i've had dozen of different weapons from rewards and enough talismans for 3 or 4 more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom