Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

Codex Year of the Donut
heroic sharn gear is really good, you'll probably use a lot of it all the way to 30

Lhynn

Arcane
Im stuck at level 7, level 4 quests are probably the worst, they are all very hard, very unrewarding, but at least they give good exp.

Lhynn

Arcane
Those are the easy ones. Though they can be a pain without a rogue. Luckily i got one in my team at that point. Im more talking about proof is in the poison and freshen the air, those are fucking brutal when solo, even on elite. I should get them all done tomorrow though, then move on to level 5 quests.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Leave proof for later - it's not worth it.

I'm just facetanking low lvl quests for favor now. I want dem epic destinies. Hope they will be on sale soon. Game don't want to accept my money so my only option is to grind favor for ddo points.:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
Leave proof for later - it's not worth it.

I'm just facetanking low lvl quests for favor now. I want dem epic destinies. Hope they will be on sale soon. Game don't want to accept my money so my only option is to grind favor for ddo points.:negative:
If you haven't done it already, grab the easy bonus favor from each server. You can get enough for epic destinies that way.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Did it, but i've spend most of it on monster manuals 1 and 2 on sale. They already bringing my points back. Slowly.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw found easy way to get some lvl 22-23 equip - catacombs. Did all quests on heroic except talking to archbishop after every quest on epic. ~4-5 pieces of +6 equip for doing lvl 3 quests.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why are you doing this to yourself? Just RTR. Unlock a new difficulty, take advantage of the XP bonus, etc.

Reinhardt

Arcane
My main character is on argonessen in codexia guild. :whiteknight:

Free high level on broken server is just that - free points. Why would i reincarnate and lose this advantage?

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Some environmental art of Castle Ravenloft. Also, my halfling char is like maybe up to Strahd's waist. I've only just noticed how everything is gigantic. Another thing I've noticed is that one option in a dialogue finally displayed the DC number, the one where you can convince the cook to give you the key. I've no idea as to why it did that.
20200822001207_1.jpg
20200822001232_1.jpg
20200822001529_1.jpg
20200822001837_1.jpg
20200822011444_1.jpg
20200822012303_1.jpg
20200822015400_1.jpg
20200822015956_1.jpg

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Reinhardt

In the DDO launcher it mentions that steam wallet payments are unavailable and they are working to fix the issue. Is that what you were trying to use before?

Reinhardt

Arcane
I learned that i can never be sure with them. My problem was that they refused to accept money from my region. It could be this or they could just break something else for everyone else and now fixing it.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Lady Fiona Wachter is having a tea party. You're invited - and so is Baron Vargas Vallakovich, her nemesis. Go to Wachterhaus and attend the party - the fate of Vallaki may hang in the balance.

(NPC): You tell Vargas Vallakovich, 'Lady Wachter's dead, her skeleton soldiers are smashed, her summoned devils are banished, and I'm still hunting down the remaining devil worshippers. You're welcome.'

(NPC): You tell Vargas Vallakovich, 'Izek is dead. He has been abusing prisoners. Your wife is dead. She used a magic mirror to kill people. Your son is dead. He was killing your servants to practice spellcraft. Go ahead, tell me again, how all will be well.'

(NPC): Vargas Vallakovich tells you, 'What? No! How did that happen? How could they all die? Was it the cult?'

> I killed them. Any last words?

(Dungeon Master): The Lady and the Baron lie undone by one another's schemes, and rightly so.

But an uneasy sense of doubt creeps over you. What monster or lunatic will come forth to rule Vallaki now?
:martini:
zOqcHEd.png

Codex Year of the Donut
one thing about half of the ravenloft dungeons is that they're fucking confusing
I hate running them with a group because I always get lost, especially the castle ravenloft ones

My tip, however: don't forget the buddy system, find the person who looks the least lost and stay within 2 meters of them at all times.

Last edited:

Helton

Arcane
one thing about half of the ravenloft dungeons is that they're fucking confusing
I hate running them with a group because I always get lost, especially the castle ravenloft ones

My tip, however: don't forget the buddy system, find the person who looks the least lost and stay within 2 meters of them at all times.
I had Castle Ravenloft down pat after 2 runs. I'm not sure if this changed or I just noticed it but it started telling me what floor objectives were on when I listened to the fortune teller. Also your map remains, so once you've scouted the place its easy to find rooms on your map, until you remember the layout. I found the first castle ravenloft pretty good xp/minute even after exhausting all bonuses and ran it about 10 times I think. Takes about 10 minutes for most layouts. Def worth learning.

Now... The Amber Temple... That quest is a PITA, as I think the password locations are random with no hints.

Reinhardt

Arcane

I had Castle Ravenloft down pat after 2 runs. I'm not sure if this changed or I just noticed it but it started telling me what floor objectives were on when I listened to the fortune teller. Also your map remains, so once you've scouted the place its easy to find rooms on your map, until you remember the layout. I found the first castle ravenloft pretty good xp/minute even after exhausting all bonuses and ran it about 10 times I think. Takes about 10 minutes for most layouts. Def worth learning.

Now... The Amber Temple... That quest is a PITA, as I think the password locations are random with no hints.
Exactly my thoughts. Castle is just "run long stairs and eventually you will find what you need"

Helton

Arcane
I've banked level 19 now and working on 20. Just finished Masterminds of Sharn. Pretty good questline. The newer content is so good compared to the old stuff. Every old quest I run feels like a gamble, that I'll get some terrible sadistically designed fuck you up the ass and low xp payoff shit. Its nice to have sagas where you can trust nothing will be too terrible. And Rain of Blood in particular was very enjoyable.

I tried to play the Harbinger of Madness line the other day and the boss fight at the end is a real "eff u". Huge difficulty spike, difficult mechanics, respawning enemies which clear your buffs and then apply negative levels and if you die it resets...

Anyways I need to decide soon if I'm going to take a HR/RR or keep pushing for an epic. Anyone have much experience at epics? What level before I can expect to run Ravenloft and Sharn on Normal? They are rated at 30+ but I'm guessing you could do them by mid 20's? Dare I hope right at 20?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I've banked level 19 now and working on 20. Just finished Masterminds of Sharn. Pretty good questline. The newer content is so good compared to the old stuff. Every old quest I run feels like a gamble, that I'll get some terrible sadistically designed fuck you up the ass and low xp payoff shit. Its nice to have sagas where you can trust nothing will be too terrible. And Rain of Blood in particular was very enjoyable.

I tried to play the Harbinger of Madness line the other day and the boss fight at the end is a real "eff u". Huge difficulty spike, difficult mechanics, respawning enemies which clear your buffs and then apply negative levels and if you die it resets...

Anyways I need to decide soon if I'm going to take a HR/RR or keep pushing for an epic. Anyone have much experience at epics? What level before I can expect to run Ravenloft and Sharn on Normal? They are rated at 30+ but I'm guessing you could do them by mid 20's? Dare I hope right at 20?
First time through on epic:
Not until you're 29/30.
Second time through:
With the right epic destiny, at 20. I did a couple on normal to finish my sharn saga for easy XP.

A bunch of eveningstar quests don't unlock until you're epic btw, I thought they were really good.

BTW, before you do an epic reincarnation, always make sure you have the sharn/ravenloft/cogs sagas complete. The first few epic levels suuuuck, I actually find the last couple of levels faster than the first few.
AFAIK, it's suggested to do a few epic reincarnations then do a true reincarnation because a TR resets a lot of things like monster manual, slayers(the XP bonus for killing shit in wilderness areas, really good in some areas with a full group, esp. with potion), challenges, etc., etc., Of note is that epic past lives work during heroic levels which is yuge for speeding up heroic leveling.
When picking your first few epic past lives it's probably worth focusing on ones that give flat bonuses that are huge for low levels because of this.

Helton

Arcane
First time through on epic:
Not until you're 29/30.
Second time through:
With the right epic destiny, at 20. I did a couple on normal to finish my sharn saga for easy XP.

A bunch of eveningstar quests don't unlock until you're epic btw, I thought they were really good.

BTW, before you do an epic reincarnation, always make sure you have the sharn/ravenloft/cogs sagas complete. The first few epic levels suuuuck, I actually find the last couple of levels faster than the first few.
AFAIK, it's suggested to do a few epic reincarnations then do a true reincarnation because a TR resets a lot of things like monster manual, slayers(the XP bonus for killing shit in wilderness areas, really good in some areas with a full group, esp. with potion), challenges, etc., etc., Of note is that epic past lives work during heroic levels which is yuge for speeding up heroic leveling.
When picking your first few epic past lives it's probably worth focusing on ones that give flat bonuses that are huge for low levels because of this.
I have a few destinies maxed from an epic life a couple years ago, so maybe I can pull them off at 20. But yeah you're right the eveningstar quests I remember thinking were fine. They are already "newer" than a lot of the really painful stuff.

Codex Year of the Donut
DDO points from favor seems tiny at first but when doing a TR it adds up so fast :M
I'm only level 13(and a 2nd life TR), and I'm at nearly 500 ddo points from favor.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In

It only took me 50 minutes to complete it and then 20 minutes to check everything else for additional content. It starts scary and the locations are random but the layout is actually very helpful - there's a central room with the big statue with side passages in all directions. So no matter what, you're usually back there quite fast. I was lucky to find the room with the levers that turn off these pesky undisarmable traps, though, that quickly reduced the level of tension.

Finished the Ravenloft. I'm somewhat disappointed that the final confrontations with Strahd and the Hut are in the raids which I will most likely never do, but oh well. I especially like the neat touch with the Abbot in the end ("When I couldn't find a suitable young lady for the role, I decided to make one."). The only thing that stops this from a good singleplayer RPG content is that the hub locations do not change when you progress through the story and there are minor script bugs here and there. So now I'm on Harbinger of Madness with L15 and Sharn is already open.

It's that thing of theirs - you can solo most of any dungeon but then puff, for the last boss you need hirelings.

Codex Year of the Donut

It only took me 50 minutes to complete it and then 20 minutes to check everything else for additional content. It starts scary and the locations are random but the layout is actually very helpful - there's a central room with the big statue with side passages in all directions. So no matter what, you're usually back there quite fast. I was lucky to find the room with the levers that turn off these pesky undisarmable traps, though, that quickly reduced the level of tension.

Finished the Ravenloft. I'm somewhat disappointed that the final confrontations with Strahd and the Hut are in the raids which I will most likely never do, but oh well. I especially like the neat touch with the Abbot in the end ("When I couldn't find a suitable young lady for the role, I decided to make one."). The only thing that stops this from a good singleplayer RPG content is that the hub locations do not change when you progress through the story and there are minor script bugs here and there. So now I'm on Harbinger of Madness with L15 and Sharn is already open.

It's that thing of theirs - you can solo most of any dungeon but then puff, for the last boss you need hirelings.
If you just wanted to know how it plays out, the Ravenloft quests are based directly on the 5E Ravenloft modules

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom