Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress - How the hell do I play this silly thing?

Cael

Arcane
DF-Sparring-Animals.png

:backawayslowly:

Cael

Arcane
Oh, dear Lord...

Combat training with 40 marksdwarves firing bone bolts at 12 trolls through fortifications (built an arena... of sorts). They literally emptied ALL their quivers, ran out and grabbed some more bolts, and came back to continue shooting...!

The estimated kill type is about 80% shot in the throat opening the carotid, 15% shot so many times in the abdomen that the guts spilled out, and 5% opening up 2+ non-carotid arteries. After about 40 trolls, 10 goblins and 40 beakdogs, I'd say those 40 marksdwarves can shrug off just about anything now and continue eating their lunches.

Excuse me, I am going to go throw up in the loo now...

Cael

Arcane
My dwarves are trying to tell me something. They have so far made an artifact native gold coffin, an alunite coffin, a bone mace, a native gold millstone, a gabbro mechanism and a native gold floodgate.

I think the message is the fort is going to flood and death is in the air...

Either that or the mayor is going into the lake with the millstone round his neck clutching his mace of office.

Cael

Arcane
OK. This is weird. I have not had a dwarf caravan from my home civ for two years now, nor any migrants.

Pop is about 140
Civ still around, with about 10 cities.
Civ has a king, even.

Caravans from 1 other dwarf civ, 5 human civs and 4 elf civs are arriving as per normal.

Any ideas, guys?

EDIT: Just tried the force migrant command on a whim. Result was "No migrants this season". WTH?

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just tried the force migrant command on a whim. Result was "No migrants this season". WTH?

Isn't there a cap on the max number of dwarfs in a fortress?
That normal cap is 200. I have 140 dworfs. Plus mine is raised to 500.

Looking at the wiki, there's two caps, one that limit immigration and the second that limits immigration and babies. But I guess you changed both, right?

Cael

Arcane
Just tried the force migrant command on a whim. Result was "No migrants this season". WTH?

Isn't there a cap on the max number of dwarfs in a fortress?
That normal cap is 200. I have 140 dworfs. Plus mine is raised to 500.

Looking at the wiki, there's two caps, one that limit immigration and the second that limits immigration and babies. But I guess you changed both, right?
Yes. All caps have been raised by a factor of at least 2. There are maybe 6 children max at my fort.

Perkel

Arcane
The hint is in that you have a king. If i remember correctly you have now kingdom and you are the one that is supposed to send migrants and caravans.

Good news is that recent update he added that dwarves can cheat on each other and have babies out of wedlock. So plan your fortress to maximalize babies production :D

Cael

Arcane
The hint is in that you have a king. If i remember correctly you have now kingdom and you are the one that is supposed to send migrants and caravans.

Good news is that recent update he added that dwarves can cheat on each other and have babies out of wedlock. So plan your fortress to maximalize babies production :D
No. I mean my civ has a king. My fortress is definitely not the capital. I don't even have a baron. I told the liaison to go to hell for even suggesting it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Do dwarves practice cuckoldry yet?

Perkel

Arcane
No. I mean my civ has a king. My fortress is definitely not the capital. I don't even have a baron. I told the liaison to go to hell for even suggesting it.

Then it means something is wrong with your nation probably it is failing or something. Migrants you get are not some random spawned dwarves but dwarves from simulation. So if there isn't anyone to send you won't get dwarves.

Cael

Arcane

Then it means something is wrong with your nation probably it is failing or something. Migrants you get are not some random spawned dwarves but dwarves from simulation. So if there isn't anyone to send you won't get dwarves.
I checked. The civ is going strong. Over 10 cities, most of them over 50 pop. It is doing better than the humans who had one civ wiped out already, but not as good as elves who have a civ with over 20 cities and pop in the 75-100 range per city.

Perkel

Arcane
Did you change that limit after you made your game or before ?

Cael

Arcane
Did anyone run into this problem before?

I trapped a magma man with a cage trap, but my dwarves won't touch it. I tried to get it to move by building a trap under it (after removing the original trap), and it said that my dwarves can't reach a mechanism. It is as if the square is a no go zone for the dwarves as they didn't replace the cage, won't haul the cage, can't reach under it, etc.

Cael

Arcane
DF-Humanophile.png

The dwarf mayor is male. The human bard is female. They are on the bed in his room.

Draw your own conclusions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom