Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR leak impressions

anus_pounder

Arcane
Data4 said:
Radisshu said:
I'll probably get this on PS3. The only PS3 games I own that I really like right now are New Vegas and Demon's Souls. And Yakuza 3.

Dust 514 and the Uncharted games are all threatening to make me dust off my PS3.

OLOLOLO popamole thrash.

I kid, the uncharteds are my favorite popamole games. Eagerly waiting for the next one. :thumbsup:

Radisshu

Prophet
I never had the urge to play them, they just look kind of boring to me.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Tomb Raider minus the tits and with GoW Popamole system is the best way to describe it really.
I personally think it does popamole as good as possible. Enemies regularly throw grenades (at least in the 1st game, they did), to flush you out and provide cover fire while their buddies attempt to close the distance. Health regen is fast, but on the hardest difficulty (which is the only way to play the game) its not quite fast enough to rely on during larger firefights. Which means every single one beyond the first 1/3rd of the game. Both games also introduce trigen like enemies towards the end. Deadly melee attacks and move very fast. The ones in the 2nd game also have very high health, weapons do exist that deal heavy damage to them (their own crossbows), but you generally don't have enough ammo to get complacent with them. At least thats what I think.

Anyway, I understand if you don't have any interest in them. Thats your choice. :salute:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Radisshu said:
they are pretty fun, especially if you are into the whole indiana jones vibe.
red dead redemption is also worth getting if you have a ps3 and like sandboxy games with story like yakuza.

Commander Xbox

Learned
LordDenton said:
baronjohn said:
What a shame.
What a shame indeed. They create a great game, and then go ahead and make it inaccessible by encapsulating it with Steam.

In a way it's good for my wallet, since I pirate any Steam-infected game I want to play, but I also feel bad for not being able to support the developer (since supporting them would force me to support Steam as well, in addition to getting an inaccessible product).

After the online DRM explosion these past few years my game collection growth has almost halted. I used to buy dozens of games every year, but now it's been reduced to 2-3 purchases per year (since it has to be a game I like, AND shouldn't come with any online DRM) while the rest come from ThePirateBay.

So buy the game, then give it away or sell it and then pirate a non DRM version for you if you want to support the devs so badly.

Radisshu

Prophet
anus_pounder said:
Tomb Raider minus the tits and with GoW Popamole system is the best way to describe it really.
I personally think it does popamole as good as possible. Enemies regularly throw grenades (at least in the 1st game, they did), to flush you out and provide cover fire while their buddies attempt to close the distance. Health regen is fast, but on the hardest difficulty (which is the only way to play the game) its not quite fast enough to rely on during larger firefights. Which means every single one beyond the first 1/3rd of the game. Both games also introduce trigen like enemies towards the end. Deadly melee attacks and move very fast. The ones in the 2nd game also have very high health, weapons do exist that deal heavy damage to them (their own crossbows), but you generally don't have enough ammo to get complacent with them. At least thats what I think.

Anyway, I understand if you don't have any interest in them. Thats your choice. :salute:

It's just that, the "IT'S AN ADVENTURE! INDIANA, LET'S GO FUCK THINGS UP IN VARIOUS PARTS OF THE WORLD" vibe hasn't done anything for me since the Broken Sword games.

SuicideBunny said:
Radisshu said:
they are pretty fun, especially if you are into the whole indiana jones vibe.
red dead redemption is also worth getting if you have a ps3 and like sandboxy games with story like yakuza.

I've actually got Red Dead as well. I'm digging the western vibe, especially how it mixes classic western with spaghetti, mood-wise, but Yakuza and L. A. Noire (which I'm getting bored with now) kind of got in the way.

L. A. Noire has the worst sticky cover system I've ever played, BTW. My character gets stuck on the wrong surfaces and won't leave them until after he's been prompted several times. And I haven't seen a single reviewer complain about it, either.

baronjohn

Cipher
Commander Xbox said:
LordDenton said:
baronjohn said:
What a shame.
What a shame indeed. They create a great game, and then go ahead and make it inaccessible by encapsulating it with Steam.

In a way it's good for my wallet, since I pirate any Steam-infected game I want to play, but I also feel bad for not being able to support the developer (since supporting them would force me to support Steam as well, in addition to getting an inaccessible product).

After the online DRM explosion these past few years my game collection growth has almost halted. I used to buy dozens of games every year, but now it's been reduced to 2-3 purchases per year (since it has to be a game I like, AND shouldn't come with any online DRM) while the rest come from ThePirateBay.

So buy the game, then give it away or sell it and then pirate a non DRM version for you if you want to support the devs so badly.
That would still be supporting Shitworks.

LordDenton

Augur
Commander Xbox said:
LordDenton said:
baronjohn said:
What a shame.

Not only would I be supporting Steam if I did that, but it's also a breach of Steam terms if you sell a Steam game (more specifically the "transfer of account", which needs to happen if you were to sell the actual game).

The person who buys the game risks having the game plus any subsequent games they've added to the account taken away.

When you complete Steam's registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to us for the purchase of Subscriptions. You are solely responsible for all activity on your Account and for the security of your computer system. You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account. You agree that you are personally responsible for the use of your password and Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account.
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
LordDenton said:
Not only would I be supporting Steam if I did that, but it's also a breach of Steam terms if you sell a Steam game (more specifically the "transfer of account", which needs to happen if you were to sell the actual game).

The person who buys the game risks having the game plus any subsequent games they've added to the account taken away.

When you complete Steam's registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to us for the purchase of Subscriptions. You are solely responsible for all activity on your Account and for the security of your computer system. You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account. You agree that you are personally responsible for the use of your password and Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account.
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

So buy the game boxed at your local game store, never open the box, download a torrent and apply the crack.

Developer supported, steam not engaged. You can gift the copy to a friend less butthurt about steam.

baronjohn

Cipher
You'd still be financially supporting Steam.

The only solution is to use the SKIDROW publisher.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ulminati said:
So buy the game boxed at your local game store, never open the box, download a torrent and apply the crack.

Developer supported, steam not engaged. You can gift the copy to a friend less butthurt about steam.

I did this with FNV but if DS3 will be on steam I'll pirate it, Sorry Obsidain but steam is plain simple corporate white collar robery.

Destroid

Arcane
Gotta say, the popamole is not strong when you play on the hardest difficulty. Try a firefight with more than 3-4 guys and it will almost always end badly. Armoured enemies are extremely tough, they take over half a clip of pistol (with the AP upgrade) if you don't hit the head.

Now that I've just about finished the leak, I think the alternate paths are pretty good so far, if a little blatant and crude at times, resulting is some pretty unnatural looking environments. In other places they are quite good.

My main criticism is that being stealthy isn't really that important, when guys get alerted it tends to be in small segments at a time, a few specific areas aside, making sneaking not that important at times.

LordDenton

Augur
Hoaxmetal said:
Pirates with complex moral systems, ahoy!

I used to buy more games in a year than you have bought your entire life bro. I paid for games simply because I wanted to support developers, even if I could have gotten everything I wanted for free online.

Now I can't support them without financially supporting Steam as well. So off to buccaneering I go (for games with online DRM such as Steam that is, since I continue to buy games that require only a simple DVD check).

Destroid

Arcane
Hoaxmetal said:

Usually your actions are compelled by laws of various sorts, written and unwritten, when the opportunity presents to follow you heart with no adverse consequences you should take it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Destroid said:
Gotta say, the popamole is not strong when you play on the hardest difficulty. Try a firefight with more than 3-4 guys and it will almost always end badly. Armoured enemies are extremely tough, they take over half a clip of pistol (with the AP upgrade) if you don't hit the head.

Now that I've just about finished the leak, I think the alternate paths are pretty good so far, if a little blatant and crude at times, resulting is some pretty unnatural looking environments. In other places they are quite good.

My main criticism is that being stealthy isn't really that important, when guys get alerted it tends to be in small segments at a time, a few specific areas aside, making sneaking not that important at times.

I honestly feel you could say the same about the original game or about the Thief series, but it never stopped me from wanting to not alert them!

scimmiagialla

Novice
There is no melee weapon!
Neither unarmed combat!

Only takedowns, however i'm still enjoing teh game

J1M

Arcane
Destroid said:
ffffffff this end boss is annoying with over 9000hp and one fuck up and you die.
If you make a mistake you can gobble a pain killer or similar item.

J1M

Arcane
LordDenton said:
Hoaxmetal said:

I used to buy more games in a year than you have bought your entire life bro. I paid for games simply because I wanted to support developers, even if I could have gotten everything I wanted for free online.

Now I can't support them without financially supporting Steam as well. So off to buccaneering I go (for games with online DRM such as Steam that is, since I continue to buy games that require only a simple DVD check).
Buying all those other games was supporting securom etc. Oopsies.

LordDenton

Augur
J1M said:
LordDenton said:
Hoaxmetal said:

Buying all those other games was supporting securom etc. Oopsies.

I don't have a problem with SecuROM versions that simply check for a valid CD (such as the one in Fallout 3). That's normal copy protection.

Of course, I do avoid SecuROM versions that require online activation (such as the one in Bioshock or Spore).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom