Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:IW VS HR?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Enemies don't have aimbot precision on the top difficulty.
Actually yes they do. If they know where you are and you show yourself you get the nice bullet barrage. Have you played DXHR on the highest difficulty?
With popamole it's quite the contrary. The game is extremely piss easy since 3rd person allows you to aim at enemies and pop their heads with a single mouse click.

With a mod
Does it also add well-balanced medkits to levels?

No you can't. One-two bullets of a pistol can kill you.
Here's an example. Enemy hits me, I get into the cover, regen, keep fighting, enemy hits me again, I regen again and so on so forth. And I can get hit 1000 times like that and don't die. In the same battle.

By quest compass I meant what appears on your screen, in the HUD (the markers).
By holocaust Hitler meant jews having a free pass into the sauna.

Quest compass is still there on a radar which you can't not look at with all the monitor being in your view. It's still in the game.

Cameras are retarded yeah and shouldn't be there. But unless you upgrade your radar then only enemies in close proximity are visible on the radar.

Is there an upgrade that disables the radar altogether not shows me a camera behind the wall regardless?

Do you not know the meaning of the word "plural", Skyway? There is only one minigame
You play it multiple times don't you?

linearderp.jpg

2011. Two corridors 4m apart. Very impressive.

In DX they just go from point A to point B, then back to A, then to B again. In HR between those points they look behind them and around, and check out their surroundings.
As I've said if it was a stealth game it would've mattered. Same goes for DX btw.

In HR you can ditch whole missions, entire streets and huge buildings with several floors.

Does it have huge open maps with several huge buildings on them at once?

in one of the latter missions for example you enter a gigantic lab research building and you have free reign over it. There are three people you have to find inside and you can go any direction, examine the entire building, and it's literally a fully functional building just like irl. No door is locked, it's not linear at all. That's how most of HR's places are designed.

If that map above is of any indication of how levels are designed somehow I think you exaggerate a lot.

In options
There's no possibility to turn quest compass off in options. It still shows on the radar.

Angthoron

Arcane
That's one out of 5 layers of the map, Skyway, as indicated by that thingy on the right. So no, not quite.

Also, by that logic, Manhattan is a corridor maze set 10-20 meters apart.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This game is about augs. This game is about a guy that got crushed in the beginning with a punch to the face. The protagonist is a weak fucker. I'm okay with that. If I want a superhero, I can play Serious Sam or Duke. You want all games to be the same? Fuck you.

You are... right!

A game with health regen, cover system, enemy radar, quest compass is hard to find these days.

Not like those overproduced games with retarded health bar, medkits, manual leaning, cameras and enemies you have to notice on your own and items you need to find on your own.

BTW the protagonist was crushed by a bullet to the face, not a punch, dear DXHR expert.

You just glorified DE for cutting corners, now it's bad when another game lets you do it?

Now glue back this quote you are referring to that you cut in half and maybe you will understand.

Name some names, I'll play 'em, if you're right I'll join you in shitting all over everything else.

How about games that don't neccessarily have '2011' as their release date?

That's a 'one'. A 'two' is if you'll support dumbed down games - good ones won't just appear.

I'm not saying DXHR should've been some perfect game but if it didn't have quest compass (which completely destroys any need to explore), didn't have enemy radar (which completely destroys any need to be careful since you already know what's in the room before you even enter it), didn't have cover system being better than plain FPS gameplay (in terms of not getting killed), didn't have health regen (limited medkits forced you to be very careful in which fight you pick, here you just need to be good at hiding behind boxes), hacking with a skill, not with a minigame (since playing that shit for 50th time is horribly annoying) - I would've liked it.

Like Stalker CoP which had a lot of flaws but it wasn't handholding you all the time.

Maybe if someone will release a mod fixing at least that I will like it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Even if there's a small room where you need to find a small piece of paper and quest compass is pointing right at it - that's a problem.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'm not sure about that small pieces statement. Hong Kong in DX and Shanghai in HR are very similar in overall size per loading screen. But this is actually an utterly pointless thing to debate.
i mean smaller pieces than they could have been if it was pc exclusive, read no fucking loading between hengsha discricts, not smaller when compared to dx.

The augs are actually LESS of a spell-like ability type of stuff than in DX1, where we'd have weird things like occasionally hard skin.
the point is, dx had actual skills, and augs were items that you could find and improve with other items you could find. that makes perfect sense.
in hr there are no real skills, there are spell-like ability skills also known as augs and the way to acquire them is via skilltree. I HATE SKILLTREES. the trend to call abilities skills and have shitty skilltrees that (i think) diablo started is annoying the shit out of me.

I'm not so sure about world reactivity either, since as mentioned DX1 wasn't exactly a crown jewel in the C&C department either.
dx had more attention to detail. hr has annoying stuff like you mentioning being a friend of that black dude every fucking time you talk to seurat, even after you come back to detroit. there's plenty more little stuff like that, but it's nothing big, just somewhat disenchanting.

it's a good game but it has plenty of unused potential.
MetalCraze said:

2011. Two corridors 4m apart. Very impressive.
that's a storyhub district with several mission areas, all of which have three or more points of entry which are rather far apart. plus it has several different levels, including being able to go places over the roofs.
Even if there's a small room where you need to find a small piece of paper and quest compass is pointing right at it - that's a problem.
you can turn it off, it does not point at items, you are told the location you need to go and get it uploaded via comlink to your gps, it marks quest npcs only when you know where they are or have seen them, quests that need you to go to places you know nothing of or find npcs you don't know the exact location of will not mark them, side-quest givers are not in any way indicated on the compass and easy to overlook... but whatever. keep on derping, skyway.

opium fiend

Augur
you can always set a quest as 'inactive' in the quest menu which disables the compass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom