Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dyson Sphere Program (Early access)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This main bus project is turning out to be a major pain in the ass.
fuck.jpg

The only way to play this game properly to be honest.

The efficiency is so retardedly high that any other system makes no sense. Spent 35 hours and 3 planets trying to get those shitty research cubes produced but the production line always stalls somewhere. Fuck those yellow cubes in the ass.

Found a living planet in a new system, set up a ring bus system like this and it FLIES. Nothing gets stuck on PRODUCT STACKING and if there's ever a shortage it's very easy to trace and add more smelter or factory lines. And you don't have to remember where on which planet Magnetic Turbine Mk2 with a Twist of Lime or Sulphuric Acid is made or stored when you need to build something. Just run to the equator and grab what you need.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This main bus project is turning out to be a major pain in the ass.
fuck.jpg

The only way to play this game properly to be honest.

The efficiency is so retardedly high that any other system makes no sense. Spent 35 hours and 3 planets trying to get those shitty research cubes produced but the production line always stalls somewhere. Fuck those yellow cubes in the ass.

Found a living planet in a new system, set up a ring bus system like this and it FLIES. Nothing gets stuck on PRODUCT STACKING and if there's ever a shortage it's very easy to trace and add more smelter or factory lines. And you don't have to remember where on which planet Magnetic Turbine Mk2 with a Twist of Lime or Sulphuric Acid is made or stored when you need to build something. Just run to the equator and grab what you need.
Indeed, but next time i will plan things more properly in some workflow software. As it is the bus is just to wide and it covers almost the whole planet.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Indeed, but next time i will plan things more properly in some workflow software. As it is the bus is just to wide and it covers almost the whole planet.

Had the same problem until I realised I was a retard and this isn't Fagtorio.

Conveyors are in 3D yo. Go up not just wide. Its possible to stack lots of belts on top of each other, not just plop them down like a uberhighway. With the splitters (also stackable) over 2 levels, every second level can be a main bus and the ones in between them the sideways trunk lines. I put for example Iron ingots at the bottom, then something made from iron directly on top of it so it makes things easier to find. That way nothing collides and you use your real estate much better.

I'm honestly surprised none of the youtube "tutorials" I found did it this way. Also lol @ all those morons building bajillions of conveyors in their inventory and fast forwarding the video while waiting minutes/hours. The first thing you do is set up a small production line making conveyors, all you need is iron ore smelters and some factories and a crate to stash them and come back every once in a while to pick up a few thousand. No waiting.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I use verticality for increased throughoutput of the same resource but your way is also perfectly viable. I find it a bit annoying to work with very high belts.

Last edited:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm so bad at this game, just like Factorio, but I love it.

I haven't even gone past red cubes and I am just doing dumb shit like mass foundation automation so I can pave the whole planet.

Time well spent.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am no longer extremely trash and comfortably making yellow cubes and building my Dyson Swarm.

I just wish there was a way to bookmark locations and place waypoints. Maybe labels that are visible both on the map and on the regular world. The amount of time I spent flying around because I forgot where I placed a chest with my shit on it or even see where I am building from/to is excruciating.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I tried it, it's slick but much too cartoonish for my taste.
It's literally Satisfactory but much more complete and across multiple planets.

With a gay Power Rangers robot.

Chinks doing what they do best, cranking out copies.

Last edited:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Given Satisfactory is basically 3D Factorio and both games (Satisfactory and Dyson Sphere) were in development at the same time, that's not really valid.

Points for the gay Power Rangers robot though.

Factorio in 3d with many tiny planets. They nailed the concept, the art works for me, I love the shiny little boxes of stuff. But, like any sandbox game without an external threat, it becomes samey after a while.

Why am I building this stuff? Why am I building virtual dyson spheres in a virtual environment? How does that help anyone?

Needs laz0rz and bug monsters.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Played it for a while, and given the 3d graphics the performance is really commendable. The ability to easily build multilevel conveyors seriously eases factory planning, and multi planet terrain sure adds some fun gameplay aspects. That said, the absolute lack of any kind of challenge (outside of planning that is) makes it a game of building just for the sake of building, which gets pretty boring damn fast, because there's hardly any point of doing so. I know they promised to implement combat at some point, but I'm curious how it will work out, because rebuilding a trashed 3d fragment will bring a whole new dimension of chore so to speak. Will see, because the game definitely has huge potential.

Perkel

Arcane
got it and trying it rn. So far it looks good and is very polished and gives positive vibes much like first time i tried factorio. We will see if this will hold out.

They have extra 10 points for Superme Commander main character:

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane
So you build mines, belts, there is iron/copper ore at start... wait a minute this is factorio in 3d with some different setup.

oh fuck. here i go 500h .

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It was really great at release but now it should be much better. You're gonna end up with multiple solar systems shipping rare resources around.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Factorio in 3d with many tiny planets. They nailed the concept, the art works for me, I love the shiny little boxes of stuff. But, like any sandbox game without an external threat, it becomes samey after a while.

Why am I building this stuff? Why am I building virtual dyson spheres in a virtual environment? How does that help anyone?

Needs laz0rz and bug monsters.
Same as Max above, I occasionally skim the patch notes and I believe there is some kind of conflict involved now?

Ironmonk

Augur
The update that introduces combat isn't released yet, and from the last news update, it seems it will still take a while.

It's your future self trying to stop you from wasting your life away on video games.
My future self is apparently really into gay robots. Weird.
I posted this just about 1 year ago, and I can confirm, all I care about now is gay robots.

A shame this little gem didn't get more polish. Fun game but just needs... something... to keep it interesting...

Ironmonk

Augur
Combat Update only in 2023

Hi Engineers,

We are releasing a trailer for the combat system today. The Dark Fog is spreading in the universe. It will be a time to make up your mind for new production and battle.

However, due to the huge content and difficulties we encountered when developing the combat system, we had to postpone the launch to 2023. But we really do believe it's worth the wait, and we hope you can understand this decision.

On the bright side, the delay will not affect the update of existing content. The update for late September was set for logistics. It will bring you more convenience in obtaining desired items from complicated production lines.

Last but not least, thank you again for your support! We will continue to strive for a better Dyson Sphere Program.

And it seems combat is basically a end game feature.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm going crazy with the proliferators. They're not even so bad with the energy cost if you consider they're doubling production for 150% increase in energy. Meaning 50% less efficient than just building more smelters or w/e. Also, you must proliferate your fuels! Deuteron fuel rods without proliferator 600MJ energy, fuel chamber bonus 300%. With proliferator 750 MJ energy, 400% fuel chamber bonus. You also get 25% more energy production from power plants, INSANE BONUS!
https://dsp-wiki.com/Spray_Coater

Last edited:

Ironmonk

Augur
The combat update might solve one issue the game had...

Before (or currently), you don't need to upgrade for that top grade smelter or use proliferators (everywhere), since you could just build more factories with the almost infinite space (not really, but its crazy to colonize and use all planets... and I doubt anyone tried it) you have available... but after the update, if you need to protect your buildings from enemies then, it will be really important to condense your factories with high grade machinery.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I finished building my dyson sphere

Mm7tPFb.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom