Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 2012: 5th-7th June

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Notice how he says nothing about what their business model will be... apart from that "supported by its new social gaming platform, GFACE" statement. Are they planning on starting a social network and making their profits the way Facebook does? If so, I'm sorry to break it to him, but Facebook is shit at making profit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
all I kept thinking was 'magic particles: a motion picture'

the summoning effect with the liquids or mystical flies or whatever just looked really tech-demoy, more for the sake of saying 'hey all this is going on in real time awesome right' , because it just felt like they were going out of their way to make it look busy with lots of glossy bits moving around

instead of looking good like say if they made whole pieces materialise and join together instead

very impressed by the hyena transformation though

You mean pre-rendered CGI from Square Enix?

LOL Morgoth is still living in the past decade. F2P is the most profitable model at the moment since you can sell 5 guns for 10 bucks each. Yes 5 gun models for a price of a full game.

CryTek will totally go out of business when the cost of a full game will stretch into infinity. They also can say "we let the player decide how much stuff in his game he wants!" *sound of cash register*.

Just imagine some F2P RPG designed for SP. You come to NPC to grab some quest and get a screen "you must buy SuperEpicDragonMegaVampireFlameSword Adventure Pack - click here to buy". But hey you got the DLC engine game for free don't you? Profit :M

What I find funny though is

"As is evident in Warface, our approach is to ensure the best quality, console game quality," he said.

So does he want the best quality or console quality?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
"Deserve" is a bit cold man, but you really have to wonder what the Yerli brothers are up to. They have talked a lot shit lately. I don't see them making only F2P games having ~600 employees, that just doesn't cut it. Unless they intend to shut down most studios. Who knows, maybe they're sick getting treated like shit from the likes of EA amd Microsoft. Maybe nobody wants to buy them. So yeah, going independent is the only option left. But they will fail.

Deleted member 7219

"Deserve" is a bit cold man, but you really have to wonder what the Yerli brothers are up to. They have talked a lot shit lately. I don't see them making only F2P games having ~600 employees, that just doesn't cut it. Unless they intend to shut down most studios. Who knows, maybe they're sick getting treated like shit from the likes of EA amd Microsoft. Maybe nobody wants to buy them. So yeah, going independent is the only option left. But they will fail.

Free to play is deceptive. What is actually means is if you've got more money than sense, you get a better game than the average Joe. Games used to be, spend ~£30, the same as everyone else, and you get the full game. I hate these cynical greedy pricks who have decided to change all that.

The consumer gets screwed and the business men win.

deuxhero

Arcane
My thoughts on this E3

2ajxbo4.png

Hopefully Nintendo Space World+TGS does better.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They are already independent. They only use EA Partners for publishing their games, but Crytek is a completely independent studio and I doubt that they plan on selling themselves out to some shithead publisher. What will probably happen is that they are going to get (if they're not already getting) a steady stream of income from selling their engine for games or "serious games" (which seems to be a big growth industry for engine developers) and then try and mess around with F2P, maybe they stumble upon a F2P business model that works and that doesn't fuck with the players (too much). Although from what I hear, Warface uses an inventory in which all the objects that you have are paid for with real money, so all the talk about not fucking over the players may be just PR bullshit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth still believes CryTek devs are angels who are treated like shit by evil EA (which actually gives them money so they can make games in the first place with Cevat being richer than every single member of the Codex put together)

How can one be so naive?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The only cloud gaming I want to be involved in mushroom clouds and the largest publishers/developers.

Achilles

Arcane
It is. I fully expect "next-gen" games to be about as interactive as this demo.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looks amazing, but at this point we're basically making real-time CG movies. I wonder how many artists, how much time and how much money it'd take to make a game with that level of visual fidelity? It seems completely counter-productive.

Xi

Arcane
Looks amazing, but at this point we're basically making real-time CG movies. I wonder how many artists, how much time and how much money it'd take to make a game with that level of visual fidelity? It seems completely counter-productive.

Artists often scale their work back, reducing the quality of textures (lower res) and reduced polygon counts. Keeping the same budgets we use now, there would still be a net gain in visual fidelity just moving to newer hardware. Gaining ALL the bells and whistles will cost more, but no one needs to do this, it's simply an option. Plus, the newer engines are becoming more efficient for the designers. Hard to say how much more it will cost, if it costs more at all.

Not to mention, gameplay will change with newer graphical techniques too. It always has and always will, for better or for worse (often for worse).

the only promising game shown at e3 is Planetside 2. everything else seems to be shit.

and the unreal engine doesn't seem to have improved at all. it just looks a little bit shinier.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Artists often scale their work back, reducing the quality of textures (lower res) and reduced polygon counts. Keeping the same budgets we use now, there would still be a net gain in visual fidelity just moving to newer hardware. Gaining ALL the bells and whistles will cost more, but no one needs to do this, it's simply an option. Plus, the newer engines are becoming more efficient for the designers. Hard to say how much more it will cost, if it costs more at all.

Not to mention, gameplay will change with newer graphical techniques too. It always has and always will, for better or for worse (often for worse).
I dunno, sure, current-gen stuff takes time to build, but there are far more graphical assets in that scene and many more micro-level details that I don't think "higher res textures" make up the whole story. Remember, going from something like UT99 to UT2003 didn't just result in better textures and lighting (side-effects of the tech improvements) but also made it so that building a level went from taking maybe an hour to potentially days or more. Higher-fidelity assets also take longer to make, because artists can "cheat" with lower-res stuff quite a bit.

Obviously workflow and production change to accommodate new tech, and a lot of things can be done to speed up level creation (tying vegetation to materials, so you can have rock, grass, trees etc. automatically placed simply by laying down a texture on some terrain), but you still have to hand-tweak a lot of that stuff, and with more details there's more to obsess over.

I do a lot of (amateur) level design and even my non-professional-quality work still takes a ton of time - if you have a bunch of pipe models instead of a pipe texture, for instance, you're not just mapping a material to a surface, you're doing that and then positioning many 3D objects together in a way that has to make sense logically or at least aesthetically:

ibvguMnhUjNHta.jpg

That relatively small area (not entirely pictured) took me a few hours to build. If I had even more detail to work with I could imagine it taking two or three times longer even though it's a space the player might inhabit for all of 10-20 seconds. Now when you add things like physics objects, dynamic fluids, particle effects, dynamic lights, buttons, doors, levers etc. to script and other game objects that are animated or interactive on top, suddenly you have even more detail to create and you have to ensure they work for gameplay.

Obviously there's a difference between me fumbling with UDK and trying to figure out the best way to use the assets available to accomplish something, and a pro who has full knowledge of the tools and assets on hand, but it's still not an especially quick process to create game content, especially as production flow is such that you might do 5-10 different detail passes over the same areas over and over.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Exactly. And there's even more physics, fluids and rigged objects going on the screen which will furthermore reduce the designer's ability to create interactive environments without breaking something.

Expect more QTE bullshit to be the future. Well, pretty QTE bullshit, that is.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is going to win the next console life cycle again, since they actually still interested in making games, not movies.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I need to know the name of that pair of tits, she's a fascinating personality to see online, surely

Fuck the 1 million polygons per character bullshit, give me a game where we can have more than 5 characters on the screen at once please. I want to see the number of units on screen raised to Total War levels. I want to see buildings modeled after real-world buildings with dozens of floors and dozens of rooms per floor, where you have to check the floor plan to figure out where to go rather than following linear corridors endlessly. I want to see open cities the size of Daggerfall. Where the fuck is the improvement in those areas? The sad fact is that every one of them is getting worse, not better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom