Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2014 - June 10-12th - CONCLUDED

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Which developer will make the biggest splash at E3?

• Total voters
Nintendo won for me.

All fun games with gameplay.

Yes, me too. Though I've always been a raging nintendo fanboy, admittedly. :codexisfor:

Can't wait to smash shit as Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors. A new Star Fox game is on its way, too! :love:

And Bayonetta's Princess Peach costume turns her hair appendages into Bowser claws, teehee

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jesus , I already expected E3 to be shit but they even beat my low expectations. It was a fun thing to watch, on a circus kind of way. It is basically a show for business people that don't even trust on the potential of the things they are selling. I saw Microsoft and Sony's E3 when they showed up the 360 and PS 3 shitboxes and boy they were full of hubris and now... they all look like pathetic old men too afraid of doing anything worthwhile. If you pay attention, almost all conferences, it was rare to find anything remotely looking like true excitement. All business people and gamming journalists with their fish like eyes pretending they weren't fools on a circus, it was all kinda of creepy.

buzz

Arcane
Hmm, I feel like overall, this generation might not be as bad as the previous one. I mean, still obvious decline, cinematix, too many trailers instead of showing gameplay, bullshots and so on. But at least some things seem to improve.

First, they seem to get a bit more creative with their usual crap. I like that most of the generic action games are now set in some mildly interesting setting. First there was that Roman Empire game last year, now there's the victorian game. And the generic linear shooters are now all mostly sci-fi instead of boring modern military, even Call of Duty is dabbling in that.
Look at Far Cry 4 where you can drive those small helicopters and fight elephants, apparently even ride them, that at least is a step forward from the Serious McGrizzly shit we had in the last couple of years. They're even bringing back Mirror's Edge, a franchise I genuinely thought was dead and buried. An Alien game that's trying to be an Amnesia/Slender-style horror game instead of a retarded shooter?

Second, many more of their games are going for the open-world route. The last-gen open world games were the least detestable ones overall with games like Red Faction Guerilla, Saint's Row, Far Cry games, STALKER, Sleeping Dogs, Assassin's Creed and Just Cause 2. So basically I feel the chances of getting decent, popcorn-level hiking sims where you can turn your brain off and enjoy are more likely. I might even try the new Dragon Age because of that.

Third, lots of Co-op stuff. Again, playing these games with friends will make the experience many times less dreadful. I'm dead tired of playing an AC game, but I might do it again if some friends convince me. Co-op mixed in with open world is doubly fun, Saint's Row in co-op and GTA IV multiplayer is probably the most fun I had with AAA games in the previous generation.

Fourth, fan-generated content is gaining some ground on consoles. Little Big Planet has level creator iirc, you have that Super Mario Maker, and then there's Fable Legends with the DM mode.

Fifth, I like that they're trying to attract the cutesy hipster crowd of indie gaming. Lots of indie titles being pushed on the doritos market, that at least allows more diversity in the environment. Next to the dudebrah shooters, you'll now have cutesy games that will make gamers cry and retro revivals. I'm particularly happy about the Grim Fandango thing, imagine if they don't fuck it up by changing too much from it, imagine if it sells ... maybe we're going to get our genre back. The winner from all that I've saw at E3 has to be No Man's Sky though. I'm a sucker for both dinosaurs and spaceships.

So yeah, I'm think overall the times are not as dark as they used to be. Between the kickstarter stuff and the AAA people trying to reinvigorate, the gaming industry might actually get back on track. Maybe I'm just too cheerful and positive though.

Dexter

Arcane
Didn't even watch Nintendo, not sure how they are even relevant anymore.

I liked the Nintendo stuff, seemed more relaxed and laid back rather than all these other LOOK AT US WE'RE AWESOME conferences. Plus I can play Nintendo games with my niece, she loves them.

Machocruz

Arcane
Splatoon could be huge for Nintendo. A new IP and it's not based on garden vegetables or some other shit no one cares about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So yeah, I'm think overall the times are not as dark as they used to be. Between the kickstarter stuff and the AAA people trying to reinvigorate, the gaming industry might actually get back on track. Maybe I'm just too cheerful and positive though.

Things are certainly better now than during the dark days of the Xbox 360's first few years, that's for sure. There have been some great mainstream games the past few years like Dishonored and Far Cry 3, games that never would have been made in 2007. Still a long way to go before the average Codexer becomes optimistic, though.

Things are certainly better now than during the dark days of the Xbox 360's first few years, that's for sure. There have been some great mainstream games the past few years like Dishonored and Far Cry 3, games that never would have been made in 2007. Still a long way to go before the average Codexer becomes optimistic, though.
How the fuck was Far Cry 3 a great game?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
IMO, you are obliged to defend it having such an outlandish opinion.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Far Cry 3 is alright. Played it recently, did everything there was to do in the game except getting all the collectibles

deuxhero

Arcane
You missed out, they were the only ones relevant. No prerendered bullshit not even pretending to be actually from the game.

Splatoon could be huge for Nintendo. A new IP and it's not based on garden vegetables or some other shit no one cares about.
Everyone likes lolis.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pokemon. Every Nintendophile has their wallet out just from reading this post. That's how easy it is for Nintendo to remain relevant.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the videogame industry cannot into the creation of a true show.
Obviously you cannot either.
Executives taking 10 minutes jerking on numbers and how well the company is doing, this is so pathetic it hurts.
I watched 4 conference, maybe there was 1 or 2 minutes each about numbers.

Like, complete cheesy and over-the-top entertainment, huge ass screens everywhere,
Year, there was a VGA like this, the Codex hated it just like everything. Also, it would be retarded.

crowds cheering,
Maybe you didn't hear it, but there was cheering. A lot.

one trailer after the other nonstop,
Now that would be great, especially for the ones present on the show. Go to youtube and start watching trailers for 90 minutes nonstop, lets see how fun it will be. What a fucking retarded idea. Also, in a good presentation you have to speak a little between videos, lead up the next topick otherwise the audiance will get bored. Fuck, and you are talking about the companies cannot into shows. Jesus.

lots of gameplay being shown...
Gameplay is always good.

not a fucking powerpoint presentation to a board of directors like they do.
They looked pretty decent powerpoint presentation to me. Although I don't see how it was like a presentation to directors, since they showed game covers, screenshots, concept arts for the most part.

Instead, we have one company sending messages to the other on how great they're doing so far on sales with their shit.

This was true last time, but if you have seen the conference this year (which you obviously haven't), you would know that all they said is that Xbone/PS4 is is the best place to game. No other messages thrown to the other party.

Tells you how much these guys know about entertainment.
TL;DR I try to be edgy and didn't even watch the conferences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom