Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA confirms KOTOR 3: it's an MMO

Texas Red

Whiner
Ah yes, the great publisher mentality. They made great sums of money off of both KotORs and instead of continuing, they go ahead and try to enter an overcrowded market with huge competition, where there was almost none before for console RPGs. How many games have tried this and failed?

Chefe

Erudite
That's great to hear. They're taking everything that made KOTOR unique and throwing it out the window to give us another lulzy grindfest.

I wonder... does anyone really care about this?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Oh boy! Bioware is making a MMORPG! That's great! I'm sure it will be great thanks to all their experience making single player RPGs!

This is going to get them terminated. I know it. EA is going to force them to make something they aren't good at, it'll fail, and they'll shut them down. That's what happens... it's what always fucking happens. Bioware's first flop will be their last. Fucking EA.

Chefe

Erudite
Do you ever stop to wonder when small development studios will realize EA just likes eating them up and spitting them out? Did we learn nothing from history, Bioware?

MetalCraze

Arcane
On the bright side Bio won't rape Obsidian's storyline with turning it into yet another SW fairy tale.

KotOR3 will fail most likely. Many factors - MMOGrindfest guys don't care about some console/PC non-twitchy RPG with some kind of depth so there won't be much of the interest from them, vice versa for RPG players, we already have SW Galaxies and Bio guys have no experience in MMOG's. Plus there are tons of MMOGs out there. It will be hard to find a niche.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
Shoelip said:
This is going to get them terminated. I know it. EA is going to force them to make something they aren't good at, it'll fail, and they'll shut them down. That's what happens... it's what always fucking happens. Bioware's first flop will be their last. Fucking EA.
I don't really mind if BioWare goes belly up anymore because they've sold out hard. Here's to hoping for another wildly successful SW:G!

Shoelip

Arbiter
skyway said:
On the bright side Bio won't rape Obsidian's storyline with turning it into yet another SW fairy tale.

KotOR3 will fail most likely. Many factors - MMOGrindfest guys don't care about some console/PC non-twitchy RPG with some kind of depth so there won't be much of the interest from them, vice versa for RPG players, we already have SW Galaxies and Bio guys have no experience in MMOG's. Plus there are tons of MMOGs out there. It will be hard to find a niche.

SWG is terrible. And the funny thing is, it used to be awesome, but Sony changed everything about the game in order to make it more like WoW. Now it's just a hollow shell.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Scchhhhwweeeeeeettttttttttt!!!!

My wallet thanks you EA/Biowhore, another game I will not have to purchase from you.

Zomg

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
Ah yes, the great publisher mentality. They made great sums of money off of both KotORs and instead of continuing, they go ahead and try to enter an overcrowded market with huge competition, where there was almost none before for console RPGs. How many games have tried this and failed?

Try to imagine being a suit that has the rights to the most epochally popular nerd license ever and seeing WoW, a spinoff of a game from a nearly dead genre, originally a shitty Games Workshop ripoff, make billions of dollars.

racofer

Thread Incliner
But now Biowhore will go into direct confrontation with Blizzard, and honestly, I doubt they will succeed. WoW is just to big of a monster to compete. Would this be the last breath from Biowhore before succumbing to the WoW side of the Force?

Raapys

Arcane
I don't know, I think this will appeal to a slightly different market than WoW. There's a distinct lack of sci-fi MMORPGs, it's just the fantasy genre that is crowded.

Now that the original SWG is ruined, I'm not completely against a game to replace it; especially one set in the Kotor timeline.

Only real bad things I see about this is that 1. EA is involved and 2. This probably means we won't see a real, single-player KOTOR3.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They don't need to out do WOW's 10,000,000 subscribers. If they make a good enough game, they could make quite a profitable one.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I guess Star Wars Galaxies and The Matrix MMO didn't teach by example.
MMO's based on movies don't make money.
And before someone chimes in with Age of Conan (based on the Robert E. Howard series and not the Schwarzenegger movies) and Lord of the Rings Online.
Conan is newly launched and Rings is not doing as well as they had hoped.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Pegultagol said:
KOTOR3: The Revan Clonez
Yea.... I can already imagine the heated discussions on Revan vs. Exile and people using their characters as evidence against one another........

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
I hope this won't turn into a bunch of "They are raping the lore" threads few years later, like the case is with Fallout 3.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
WalterKinde said:
I guess Star Wars Galaxies and The Matrix MMO didn't teach by example.
MMO's based on movies don't make money.
And before someone chimes in with Age of Conan (based on the Robert E. Howard series and not the Schwarzenegger movies) and Lord of the Rings Online.
Conan is newly launched and Rings is not doing as well as they had hoped.

K Online is based on KotOR the game.

WalterKinde

Scholar
At this rate how long do you figure until Ea Bioware closes their doors or gets absorbed into a section of the EA juggernaut?

Castanova

Prophet
To all you people crying foul at EA over this - I'm willing to lay down money that BioWare had this in development before the EA deal. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if BioWare agreed to the EA deal in part because they wanted more support for this massive project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom