Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA confirms KOTOR 3: it's an MMO

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if a KOTOR MMO will be successful and I don't care, like most here I just want my KOTORIII. On the other hand WOW is almost 5 years old, it won't last forever, even with expansions. New subscriptions are getting fewer and fewer and old ones are getting dropped all the time.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
3. Lord of the Rings Online. Released with fairly little hype, this surprisingly well-designed MMO has attracted a modest, but devoted player-base of about 200,000. Its unimpressive reception among gamers also happens to be its greatest strength - people play LOTRO purely out of love for Tolkien's setting, not out of juvenile need to vent excess hormones by pwning n00bz. Developers, on the hand, repay this enthusiasm by constantly improving the game with new content. In light of that, it's hard to refer to LOTRO as "failure". It is a failure by standards of EA, who would only glance at the modest profit margin before shutting down the game.
The player base for LOTRO is full of really nice people. It really was the most entertaining game of that sort I've ever played strictly because of that. Not just nice either, at least 98% of them are better than retarded monkeys that just randomly press monkeys, compared to WoW's figure of like 20%.

Really, the amount of 'window dressing' matched with the strong core elements(mostly ripped from wow) and cool player base actually makes LOTRO feel like something other than the Disney World for adventurers that most other MMO's feel like. I have no idea why I stopped playing it, must have ran out of weed for a period or something...

kris

Arcane
Raapys said:
I've not played much WoW, was bored of it before even starting, but from my limited experience WoWs grinding is pretty easy compared to some other MMORPGs.

In Anarchy Online, for instance, people have been playing the same character for many hours each day, years in a row, and still don't have all their 'dream equipment'.
That's not even mentioning the grind to get to the highest levels( 200 normal levels, 20 shadowland levels, 30 AI levels), which is just insane. I'd guess going from AI level 29-30 alone probably took longer than 1-60 in WoW, although it's supposedly been changed with the latest expansion.

That's how these games should be though. This is what makes them last.

What? You actually WANT to grind forever in the game? Any form of grind and I won't play the game. WOW grind is way to much for me. I am not interested in beating up the same guy over and over.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
. MMO gamers are a very dedicated bunch and it doesn't take much effort to get them to whip out their MasterCard and renew that subscription.
No joke. I don't like World of Warcraft that much, and I've experienced all the pre-level 45 content (that is, the content that only takes about two weeks to play through...just to do the next ten levels of stuff probably takes another two weeks, I never got that far) and I still once a week or so consider blowing money on a month of WoW.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm don't think I would play a 40k MMO unless I heard that it was awesome. The trend in 40k is towards cartooniziation and self-caricature these days, anyways. I guess it's new people coming into the setting/company who seize on bits of fluff from previous editions and inflate them to where all the depth (it's true) gets pushed out. Orks are probably the worst hit, though how you could ruin Space Hooligans in the first place is an odd subject to contemplate. A 40k MMO would make me nerd rage if it had Space Marines in it as anything other than Max Level Raid Bosses
AngryMarine-2.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
While I don't reallyc are about the KOTOR mmorpg; I do find it funny people ar eproclaiming it doomed to fialure because..

a) No game can compete with WOW. NEWSFLASH: A MMORPG doens't need to ahve sales like WOW to be a success. Dumbass. BIO's games don't sell as much as, say, the Sims, yet they ar esuccessful.

and,

b) A BIO MMORPG will fail ebcause BIO has no experience in making MMORPGs. NEWSFLASH: Before making their first game, BIO were a medical softwaere company, and they were/ar eheaded up by two doctors yet despite tha, they've been rather successful making games. l0l Seems 'inexperience' hasn't hurt them in the past.

P.S. Whil;e SS was no Diablo, it obviously sold ebough for Interplay to keep throwing money at BIO. (it sold 200k; likely not bad for a first tiem company that likely had a relativley small budget and team).

Anyways, The game will likely sell enough to make money; but it will be no WOW; because BIO doesn't have the same large fan base.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Volourn said:
a) No game can compete with WOW. NEWSFLASH: A MMORPG doens't need to ahve sales like WOW to be a success. Dumbass. BIO's games don't sell as much as, say, the Sims, yet they ar esuccessful.

Not in the eyes of EA....

deuxhero

Arcane
spiwak said:
The main problem with this is the same as Galaxies, namely that everyone wants to be a jedi but doesn't want anyone else being a jedi for fear of force overcrowding. I mean, after all, there were how many jedi in KotOR 2?

I don't see how this will work, especially with the leveling system of the KotOR games, which was all about a) 20-30 level caps, and b) being a jedi.

At least it is set in the Old Republic era, and not the ****ing Jedi Purge (seriously, what the **** were they thinking?)

deuxhero

Arcane
Shannow said:
deuxhero said:
iloveoblivion
Seriously, I can't read your posts if you censor them.

On topic:
*insertrandombaselessremarkthatbiowareisdoomedandstarwarsgalaxiesiseasfault*

Force of habit when I type, most sites don't let you say fuck, shit, cock, penis, vagina or 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0.

Raapys

Arcane
kris said:
What? You actually WANT to grind forever in the game? Any form of grind and I won't play the game. WOW grind is way to much for me. I am not interested in beating up the same guy over and over.

It's not necessarily what I 'want', but I fully see and accept the need. These games *are* about doing the same things over and over. What makes it fun is developing your character( gaining levels and finding items ) and playing with a likable bunch. If finishing your character, taking him to max level and getting the best gear, takes like 10 hours or so then obviously you've alot less incentive to play further.

Binary

Liturgist
deuxhero said:
Force of habit when I type, most sites don't let you say fuck, shit, cock, penis, vagina or 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's sig material right there

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Could someone change the title? This isn't KOTOR 3, it's more of a spinoff, just like how Fallout Online won't be Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom