Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA confirms KOTOR 3: it's an MMO

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Note to self: Check RPG forum, then post news.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Wonderful! A couple of months ago some magazine claimed that BioWare was working on an MMO, while Obsidian was in charge of developing a proper single-player sequel. This certainly is a possibility.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Lestat said:
Wonderful! A couple of months ago some magazine claimed that BioWare was working on an MMO, while Obsidian was in charge of developing a proper single-player sequel. This certainly is a possibility.

Wouldn't that be pushing Obsidian's capability a little bit? I always thought they were a pretty small developer; at least small enough to make 4 simultaneous projects a little bit of a stretch (especially given their somewhat patchy history of scheduling).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Both Alpha Protocol and Aliens RPG will be released next year. Obsidian must have a couple of titles in pre-production. 'Sides, we know that MCA is the lead designer of an unannounced project.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Lestat said:
Both Alpha Protocol and Aliens RPG will be released next year. Obsidian must have a couple of titles in pre-production. 'Sides, we know that MCA is the lead designer of an unannounced project.

Feargus said they now have enough people to form two and a half teams. So we have one team working on AP, another one on the Aliens RPG and a smaller team on Storm of Zehir. I just don't see who they could spare for pre-production right now. They seem to be firing on all pistons. There is a possibility that the AP team will get assigned to KotOR III, but only after they finish their work. Or maybe the guys working on Storm of Zehir (a.k.a. the MotB team). We'll see. I really really hope you're right though. KotOR III by Obsidian would be really nice.

Deleted member 7219

I wanted KOTOR3, not yet another money-grabbing MMO.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
Dark Matter said:
I really wanted to see Obsidian conclude the story arc. Looks like that won't be happening...Is this even gonna have a story? God, I hope not. I'd much prefer if they just ignored Obsidian's game altogether and created a generic SW MMORPG. I'd prefer that over raping what Obsidian created in KOTOR 2.
Obsidian's game ended up being a sub-par product to the original KotOR. While I enjoyed the increased dialogue options, and the story was interesting in its own right, I felt like it was a contortion of the SW feel - I probably would've enjoyed it if it were a game based in a non-SW universe. Also, I found myself not particularly enjoying the characters as well as I did in the original KotOR.

Mareus said:
Unlike some of you guys who are saying that you won't miss Bioware if it gets canned, I hope the game sells enough so it does not happen. You may not like Bioware, but they sure make good games and without them the empty void in which we are waiting for a decent RPG to come out would just get bigger. However I must say this is one Bioware game that I will probably skip.
Yes, well, the point of not missing BioWare if they get canned is because some of us no longer or never did believe that they make good games (I fall in the former). It wouldn't be so much of a problem if BioWare focused more on the plot, dialogue, and character interaction - no matter what genre their game may fall in, but the trends haven't given much hope for that.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Binary said:
Quick someone make a few RPG demotivators based on KOTOR3!
poster14052846et4.jpg

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
SW:G used to be pretty cool. It had multi-classing and other cool features. Then, Sony fucked it up big time, and wondered why everybody left.

If Bioware tries to make a unique MMO, instead of cloning WoW, I think they'll succeed. As with diablo-clones, a wow-clone will never be as successful as the original. In fact, I believe this is what keeps WoW #1. Everyone is trying to be WoW, and players find out that every clone is just not "the same", so they quit and return to WoW. Of course, corporate suits don't see it this way, and they wonder why their NEXT-GEN-OMGZZ MMO failed.

Edit: Funny picture. :lol:

Raapys

Arcane
Didn't the original SW:G fix the 'everyone wants to be a jedi' problem by making it extremely hard to become one?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Mareus said:
There is one big problem when you try to make MMO Star Wars. How can you make other classes compete against the Jedi? I mean, Jedi are just too damn powerful. Ofcourse everyone will want to play them and because they can heal, shield, use the force, etc they are pretty much self sufficient.

Does anyone have an idea how you can make this work, so there is not 100 jedi/10 other classes?

The only way I see that it could work is if they don't allow you to be a Jedi, but then the kids would go crazy. What? You can't be a jedi? This game sucks.
Maybe if they put a level limit before you can become a jedi, but that would also just be a matter of time before you would have bunch of L60 jedis.
Even if they hired actors to play jedi and have a council in which they would observe you and decide if you are worthy or not to become a jedi would not work.
Even if you tried to make the classes balanced it would just mess with SW lore. It just can't work.
It would not mess with the lore at all. Great Jedi Purge, anyone?
Didn't the original SW:G fix the 'everyone wants to be a jedi' problem by making it extremely hard to become one?
Used to be that way, but Sony fucked it up.

Texas Red

Whiner
How can you even become a jedi when(depending on which side you were on) nearly or even every jedi died?

I don't care about MMOGs but here's my solution on the problem of everyone wanting to choose the jedi class: make leveling up as jedi require 3 times more experience than other classes. If you start as a jedi and your friend starts as something else and you play both the same number of hours, he will have 3 times more levels than you.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe you can't play Jedi. That'd be g-

Fuck I know: You can be a Jedi - if you get the Jedi extra subscription for an extra 10$ a month. That'd be awesome. For dual-wielding, another 5$.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Maybe you can't play Jedi. That'd be g-

Fuck I know: You can be a Jedi - if you get the Jedi extra subscription for an extra 10$ a month. That'd be awesome. For dual-wielding, another 5$.
or just make it the way that SWG Used to have it and make you have to do a long-ass epic questline just to start TRAINING as a jedi.

Solohk

Scholar
Or just create a few different Jedi classes, and some more traditional classes, that are force sensitive of course, and sit back and collect money.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Solohk said:
Or just create a few different Jedi classes, and some more traditional classes, that are force sensitive of course, and sit back and collect money.
Oh yeah,the Guardians, Sentinels, and Consulars would also work.

Not sure Force-sensitive classes would work though. only other Class that might work that way are the Witches of Darthormir or whatever.

Solohk

Scholar
See there's your problem. You're actually trying to adhere to the lore for an MMO. A common rookie mistake. The lore of any established universe is always beaten to a bloody pulp to make an MMO fit.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
MMOs are awesome because there are services that allow you to pay for someone else to play the game for you. Man I wish I had a game I wanted to play so much I would pay someone else to play it for me, yes this makes a lot of sense because.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Jaesun said:

This is great. I love how right around the time of the NGE the subscribers just plumet and have continued to go down ever since. :lol:

EVE Online looks like it's doing really well though. I really need to check it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom