Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ed Greenwood started a YT channel

Caim

Arcane
Has Ed Greenwood commented on the bear fucking in Baldur's Gate 3 yet?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Has Ed Greenwood commented on the bear fucking in Baldur's Gate 3 yet?
He's mentioned in the past that he's been a consultant of sorts on video games set in FR like BG, IWD, NWN but typically he does something very minor like writes one of those lore dump books you randomly find throughout the games.

I wonder if perhaps this was his contribution to BG3.

MerchantKing

Learned
Is he going to post furry and scaly content on youtube now? That is what the Forgotten Realms seems to be about these days. Unless you're a squirrel of course.

Strig

Learned
I take as much umbrage with what he writes as with how he writes it. I read many Forgotten Realms books in my teens and I still have about forty of them. Greenwood's drivel was by far the worst of the lot. Compared to R.A. Salvatore's or Troy Denning's outings almost unreadable, neither of them a great writer but especially the latter I would consider a very competent storyteller. Greenwood just prattles on to fill the pages with characters and situations neither convincing nor interesting. He's a prototype of this and even kind of looks the part:

:bioware:

mondblut

Arcane
Ive seen no indication that he gets royalties from the sales of FR products but I'm not sure that he doesn't. Basically it's seen as a great deal for him because he will get atleast a book a year published and he writes a lot.

Dude, wotc haven't published any FR novels other than drizzt crap for 5 years. And even drizzt crap was passed over to some generalist publisher and no longer bears any FR or D&D logos on it. FR is dead.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ive seen no indication that he gets royalties from the sales of FR products but I'm not sure that he doesn't. Basically it's seen as a great deal for him because he will get atleast a book a year published and he writes a lot.

Dude, wotc haven't published any FR novels other than drizzt crap for 5 years. And even drizzt crap was passed over to some generalist publisher and no longer bears any FR or D&D logos on it. FR is dead.

Well, his deal isn't just for novels but also game books. He most recently coauthored Thay Land of Red Wizards" in 2022

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So wait Forgotten Realms is gay now? How the fuck does that even happen.
It was always gay. TSR just suppressed a portion of the degeneracy when it had it. Now WotC is letting it all out again.
Yes, TSR heavily sanitized Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms setting, which he used as a vehicle for expressing his sexual fetishes, which nonetheless occasionally came through in certain TSR products, such as a passing reference to dwarven rape fantasies in the Greenwood-authored FR11 Dwarves Deep. Aside from that issue, the Forgotten Realms has always been an extremely generic fantasy setting, without offering anything of value. It's a terrible pity that TSR selected it as the replacement for Greyhawk as the standard, default AD&D campaign setting, following Gary Gygax's ouster from TSR in October 1985. After the demise of TSR in 1997, it was inevitable that Ed Greenwood's fetishes would gradually be (re-)introduced into the setting.

genericalandoffairlyl98d87.jpg

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was always gay. TSR just suppressed a portion of the degeneracy when it had it. Now WotC is letting it all out again.
Yes, TSR heavily sanitized Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms setting, which he used as a vehicle for expressing his sexual fetishes, which nonetheless occasionally came through in certain TSR products, such as a passing reference to dwarven rape fantasies in the Greenwood-authored FR11 Dwarves Deep. Aside from that issue, the Forgotten Realms has always been an extremely generic fantasy setting, without offering anything of value. It's a terrible pity that TSR selected it as the replacement for Greyhawk as the standard, default AD&D campaign setting, following Gary Gygax's ouster from TSR in October 1985. After the demise of TSR in 1997, it was inevitable that Ed Greenwood's fetishes would gradually be (re-)introduced into the setting.

"Mountains of muscles" :lol:

"Icecastle of the NecroLord"
:shredder:

Caim

Arcane

"Mountains of muscles" :lol:

"Icecastle of the NecroLord"
:shredder:
The Necrolord is sending his minions down to the Mountains of Muscles to steal them and make his skinny army a bit beefier.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't even know there was so much controversy with Forgotten Realms. Is there a video or an article anyone can recommend to read up on this?

zapotec

Liturgist

I like this map

I don't have anything against 2e FR. It is far from my favourite setting, but if someone was running a good adventure there, I would certainly join.

I think it is kinda silly they've changed the setting again and again as the rules changed though. If this had happened only once, I don't think it would be that much of a problem, but we've had three other iterations of rules sets from 2e to now, and I really don't care at all to figure out how the setting managed this.

As for the creator himself, I've heard he is a weird dude, but that is not necessarily bad...
Well, he included pedophilia, incest, homosexuality and transsexuals in FR and it's all canon because his deal with wotc is that whatever he writes in his books is automatically canon for the setting.
Well all those things exist in RL so I dont see the issue with them being included in a fantasy game setting?
For some people, especially the new crowd of TTRPG players, it's representation that they want and they celebrate it.

For the old school players, especially the types of guys around here, these are things they're trying to escape from when gaming. Personally, I don't think it adds anything to a game or book to include these things.

I suppose I could see including some of these things to shock the reader/player while building up a villain but again, having these things be a prominent part of a fantasy world just seems strange and off putting.
Yes I was talking about themes in the case of incest or paedophila and they would apply to a villian. But I am not sure why these would shock people unless you live your life with your head in the sand? The standard villian in most games is a stereotype of RL turpitude and iniquity

I'm taking it moreso from the perspective that sex or sex crimes didn't play a prominent role or were non existent in the fantasy literature/games I grew up with. So yeah, it is a bit shocking to find out what the world of Baldur's Gate was really all about.

Anyway, in Greenwood's world, those things don't just apply to villains, they're normalized for all. Nobles having sex with their children is a way to show affection, gods encourage their priests to become women for a period of time to experience life as a woman, etc.
Do you have an issue or were you shocked with the writings of George Martin? The GOT world has basically every deviancy you mentioned and is included in numerous themes as part of the world and actions of characters. I am reading Fire and Blood at the moment and its brilliant but its full of rape, incest and paedophilia events

The reason I ask is I am wondering if you read modern fantasy or more the older classics which dont really include these themes?

I never got into George Martin but have a few close friends who were really into him so they got me to watch Game of Thrones years ago.

At any rate, I don't think the work of Martin features brothels on every corner and cross dressers, non binary and transgenders as part of the lore but maybe I'm mistaken.
Men abandoning their duties because they like wine, women or both are a common topic in the series. One of these stories involves a shy, nerd, literally neckbearded fat guy getting to fuck a cute girl too.

orcinator

Liturgist
Well, he included pedophilia, incest, homosexuality and transsexuals in FR and it's all canon
Like what exactly? Formulas how to become pedo? Or just pedo characters? Who?
Take a look here:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms#Forgotten_Realms_And_Sex
"Prostitution is a core industry of the Forgotten Realms; "sex workers" are all over and there are about 40 different names for different kinds of prostitutes."

That's a lot more than you can find on the old table

d96ee706e7a2d6e38ca05b23f44a1233.png

Gahbreeil

Learned
I understand you fine fellows understand Mr. G has a Patreon as well?

Ao the Overgod is lawful neutral as he is not evil nor good yet believes strongly in law. His children, Selune and Shar are respectively chaotic good and neutral evil. The first opposes law yet is good, the second opposes good yet does not follow neither chaos nor law.The Primordial Energies are the Elements and Quasi-Elements as well as the Positive and Negative Energies as the Energies manifest in the Cosmology. Not only the Material Plane yet all planes. Magic allows tapping into and harnessing the Primordial Energies. (Avalanche - Ice Energy, Sea current - Water Energy) The Weave is not Magic itself. The Weave is a binding upon Magic to disallow both mortals and deities from using it to it's full extent. Essentially, becoming equal to Ao the Overgod whom was wroth with Selune and Shar for fighting against each other and creating Mystryl. And Mystryl was chosen as the keeper of the Weave in order for order to exist once again. And so, the Weave is an orderly, organised view and access of the Primordial Energies.The Phlogiston preceedes the Primordial Energies and that is where Ao created the Energies that breathed life into Selune and Shar whom created the Crystal Spheres.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom