Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Eisenhorn: Xenos - a cinematic action game

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Eisenhorn: Xenos.

Number of xenos in trailer: 0

GreyViper

Prophet
QRLekWr.jpg

Guess Goro Majima made into warhammer. Yakuzas in space?
YakuzaDS_Game_Screenshot_0161.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Shame. The books were good for what they were. It could've made an OK adventure game in the vein of Westwood studios Blade Runner. This looks like terrible tablet crap that isn't even worth a torrent

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guess Goro Majima made into warhammer. Yakuzas in space?

More like space pimps or gangstas in space. WH40K inquisitors are into some heavy punk bling, yo

latest

Or in pirate version:

1286931672797.jpg

The original version:

latest

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I missed this long-winded preview. Apparently the dev are aware of some of the criticism because the preview actively tries to counter several of the largest gripes people had.

In what is sure to be a surprise to many naysayers, the Xenos’ graphics are far from inferior. While certainly stylised, in many respects the texture quality outstrips that ofthe last major Warhammer 40,000 releases. Rather than the painted look many of Space Marine’s characters retained, the use of HDR lighting and physically based rendering with the Unreal engine throws a few grains of realism into the world.

Every time you start to realise you’re running down a glorified corridor, some new element will quickly emerge to distract you from this detail.

When the game does break from its more linear format, opening up into broader maze-like environments, it’s often to take greater advantage of Xenos’ stealth system. The mechanics and level design at these points retain shades of an Arkham title intended for handheld gaming, with Eisenhorn quietly subduing his foes and using the occasional air vent to his advantage. Well, Arkham with the added bonus of playing a telepath of course.

Speaking of the combat mechanics, no single element seems to have drawn more scorn from Games Workshop’s fandom. This in no small part thanks to an unfortunate trailer, which seemingly presented combat as a sequence of QTE challenges over true control. Thankfully, this is hardly the case and Xenos has more in common with Dark Souls than it does Ryse: Son of Rome in this regard. You’re rewarded for waiting for openings, taking advantage of counters and launching precision strikes rather than blindly hacking away. A massive part of this is down to the game’s stamina meter, which gradually drains with every blow until you need to pause and recharge upon hitting zero. This naturally leaves you unable to attack for a few seconds, and open to any maniac with a hand cannon within striking distance. While avoiding Assassin’s Creed syndrome of having counters overcome all obstacles, it transformers combat into a surprisingly methodical sequence of timed attacks.

Said Pause For Breath mechanic freezes combat momentarily in place. Serving as a more elegant version of Fallout’s V.A.T.S. system, it drains the stamina meter but allowing the player to launch a series of powerful controlled strikes into his foes. Quickly shifting the nature of the battle, it allows you to refocus your attacks and quickly wipe the floor with a foe before they react.

Still, more so than the mechanics, many fans have been left wondering just how the story will hold up. In truth, it’s more an adaptation than a direct translation, but before those reading pick up their torches and pitchforks you might want to hear how.

When all’s said and done, is Eisenhorn: Xenos the game everyone is hoping for? No. It’s certainly no Witcher and definitely not anything on the same scale as Dragon Age. However, does it do the source material justice? From this first impression, the answer is a resounding yes. While it might have been made with handheld gaming in mind, this was done without compromising its quality. Going from this early look, we’re going to see a final product which is less Mass Effect: Infiltrator than it is Resistance: Retribution or Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.

If you’re one of those who wrote this off as quick cash in, definitely give it another look upon release. This writer went into the development studio with more than a few lingering doubts but, after seeing the obvious care put into bringing the Inquisitor’s story to life, he walked away with a broad grin on his face.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/feature-articles/13416-eisenhorn-xenos-pre-alpha-preview

So not all hope is lost on this title?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is the Imperium of the 41st Millenium.

All hope is long lost.

Exterminatus on everything and everyone.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Not many news about the game recently, just a screenshot from mid-december:

12363062_955662131189971_6668829398367275424_o.jpg

Their office seems to be cost-efficient:

12322476_951494094940108_3512182879207674667_o.jpg

12314553_951493974940120_5863289792731664644_o.jpg

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The game will be released April 6. It also has a Steam page now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373920

‘Eisenhorn: XENOS' is a premium 3D action and adventure game based on ‘Xenos', the first book in Games Workshop's best-selling ‘Eisenhorn' trilogy, written by award winning author Dan Abnett. Set in the grim, dark future of Warhammer 40,000 ‘Eisenhorn: XENOS' tells the story of Gregor Eisenhorn, an Inquisitor and member of the ‘Ordo Xenos', sent out to fight and protect the Imperium of man from anything that may threaten it. Presented in full 3D, ‘Eisenhorn: XENOS' players will get to play as Eisenhorn himself (voiced by Mark Strong), and explore various areas of the Warhammer 40k universe with a party of characters in tow.

The Steam relase includes all future DLC, comprising of new party members, weapons and enemies.

Game Features:

- 9-11 hour story gameplay based on the best-selling book ‘Xenos'.
- Exploration using agility, tech scanners, and psychic powers.
- A party system where the player can choose which characters accompany them on missions. Different characters will enhance varying aspects of Eisenhorn's skills.
- Real time combat with your party, customisable weapons, and accessories.
- ‘Rhythm combo' combat system, with an additional 'Pause For Breath' tactical mode.
- A loot system featuring 100+ weapons and accessories.
- Fully voiced acted, with Mark Strong providing the voice for Eisenhorn.
- Arena mode with challenges available outside of the regular Story mode.

"Presented in full 3D" has a kinda nice 90s feeling.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
- ‘Rhythm combo' combat system, with an additional 'Pause For Breath' tactical mode.

The Inquisition does not approve of dubstep, hopefully.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
New trailer:

PC-Steam release will be May 19th, mobile releases will follow later, which seems logical since their asking price is quite high.

The Standard PC version is priced at $24.99/£18.99/€22.99. A ‘Deluxe Edition’ featuring a copy of the soundtrack, and a specially made digital art book will be available for $34.99/£26.99/€31.99

orcinator

Liturgist

The Inquisition does not approve of dubstep, hopefully.

I assume it's going to have some king of arkham creed counter2win combat. I guess it makes sense for something that can be played without touching more than two buttons to work on mobile, wonder why I haven't seen more of such combat in tablet games (though granted I didn't look at too many tablet action games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The seamless change between sword and gun reminds me a bit of Space Marine. The rhythm click combat reminds me of The Witcher 1. I guess, at least it'S not just rolling, like in TW2.

The art is a bit last gen, but I think it's serviceable.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Surprise, the Steam reviews seem very unenthusiastic. Poor Eisenhorn.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'll probably buy it, but more than double the price for the SE is quite expensive. I like soundtracks and art books, but I don't need another copy of Eisenhorn and they are curiously silent about the length and the author of the comic book.

But ok, GW's latest Codex Deathwatch CE is $205 :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom