Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
combat decent with max difficulty modifiers? it's not like suikoden games excel at combat design but Im getting tired of every jrpg being too easy.
this was one of the games I was actually waiting for please dont be shit

combat decent with max difficulty modifiers? it's not like suikoden games excel at combat design but Im getting tired of every jrpg being too easy.
this was one of the games I was actually waiting for please dont be shit

I am playing on hard difficulty. The game was braindead easy until the second boss. I haven't had to heal on any trash fights and autobattle through all of them. I only had to heal a couple times on the first boss but that was it. On the second boss I actually had to have people use the defend or hide behind debris commands for incoming telegraphed attacks, and Hildi ran out of MP using the cheapest heal spell and had to start digging through the reserve of healing items.

I have unlocked the Nowa + Seign hero combo. I see no reason why not to just spam that all of the time instead of their individual Lens special attacks. Characters regen one Special Point per turn. Nowa's and Seign's individual Lens special attacks cost 2 SP to use so you can only use it every other turn, and Nowa's deals moderate damage while Seign's just deals (normal/average?) damage, but their Friendship hero combo always deals moderate damage and only costs 1 SP so you can use that every turn, and the Friendship combo hits all enemies.

so blakpipo are guardians of ancient ruins and primitive crakkaz from empire and league trying to loot them. wakanda foreva!

Eh while it's easy to say that this new stuff, the issue of Knight colonizing Natives has been a thing since Suikoden 3

I do not recall the Zexans being said to be new arrivals to the Grasslands. Also, the Grasslanders are hypocrites. One minute Dupa is crying about how evil the Zexans are when the Zexans are pulling their punches, the next Dupa is massacring towns. Also wish I could have wiped that self-righteous smug smile off of the Karayan woman too.

Reinhardt

Arcane
just like first play of unicorn overlord i just running with first people i've met - doggu, lian, samurai dude, mahou shoujo, and ORA?! no combos for me other than between nowa and lian...

Yuber

Novice
Are you seriously telling me this game has gamebreaking bug unless I patch it when playing on Disc?
So the physical version of this game is useless omg

REhorror

Educated
Won't buy, can't buy, it's friggin' woke shit.

I will not spend a time on woke localizers.

Shame on these developers who shit on the name of Suikoden.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Localizers are professionals and direct translation is impossible:
"We gotta find the thing that does the thing"
"Farthead"
"Dazzle me, handsome"
"YO HANDS"
"Pigeon licker"
"Grandma's flat ass"

I am 11 hours in, got the castle. Thoughts:

Ex1l5E6.jpeg

The Forest Eater boss hanging from the ceiling rather than walking on the ground is interesting.

I'm not feeling the art direction of the environments. It looks too clean and plastic. Doesn't feel like the gritty (S1 through S3) or even lived in world of the Suikoden games. The sprites are pretty decent, though.

I accidentally held B and skipped a cutscene, couldn't rewind the text to see what I missed so I had to reload an earlier save and spend 15 minutes retracing my steps just to get back to that cutscene. Argh.

j3gVlzV.jpeg

Joji Nakata is in this game. Nice.

It's 2024. Why do I only have 20 save slots? Why can't I have 500?

oUGPsyz.jpeg

Okay, this is looking a little bit more like the lived in world of Suikoden.

3Dx7LwN.jpeg

Huh? But I OTKoed each add and there was just the one guy left!

From the marketing, I was worried that this game was going to be a repeat of Riou and Jowy's story from S2, but here I feel like they have sufficiently differentiated Nowa and Seign's relationship. Riou and Jowy were childhood friends from the same country, with Riou betraying his country and Jowy betraying his friend for his country. Here, Nowa and Seign are from two different countries and becomes friends, but they are both loyal to their people. There is no betrayal here. Lian doesn't have as much prominence as Nanami, and also isn't a childhood friend either.

XuqdIEj.jpeg

The attendant party member slot is very much appreciated. You can bring 2 or 3 of your favorite optional party members, AND still have story characters show up in cutscenes.

d0ilhky.jpeg

Tc3IQrf.jpeg

In Suikoden 5, I was disappointed how Lucretia was hyped up as being a sinister strategist, but then once you acquired her she doesn't actually do anything dubious. Here, Perrielle is actually being scummy with her deception and propaganda.

Come on, don't play a Disney animated movie song.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I am 11 hours in, got the castle. Thoughts:

Ex1l5E6.jpeg

The Forest Eater boss hanging from the ceiling rather than walking on the ground is interesting.

I'm not feeling the art direction of the environments. It looks too clean and plastic. Doesn't feel like the gritty (S1 through S3) or even lived in world of the Suikoden games. The sprites are pretty decent, though.

I accidentally held B and skipped a cutscene, couldn't rewind the text to see what I missed so I had to reload an earlier save and spend 15 minutes retracing my steps just to get back to that cutscene. Argh.

j3gVlzV.jpeg

Joji Nakata is in this game. Nice.

It's 2024. Why do I only have 20 save slots? Why can't I have 500?

oUGPsyz.jpeg

Okay, this is looking a little bit more like the lived in world of Suikoden.

3Dx7LwN.jpeg

Huh? But I OTKoed each add and there was just the one guy left!

From the marketing, I was worried that this game was going to be a repeat of Riou and Jowy's story from S2, but here I feel like they have sufficiently differentiated Nowa and Seign's relationship. Riou and Jowy were childhood friends from the same country, with Riou betraying his country and Jowy betraying his friend for his country. Here, Nowa and Seign are from two different countries and becomes friends, but they are both loyal to their people. There is no betrayal here. Lian doesn't have as much prominence as Nanami, and also isn't a childhood friend either.

XuqdIEj.jpeg

The attendant party member slot is very much appreciated. You can bring 2 or 3 of your favorite optional party members, AND still have story characters show up in cutscenes.

d0ilhky.jpeg

Tc3IQrf.jpeg

In Suikoden 5, I was disappointed how Lucretia was hyped up as being a sinister strategist, but then once you acquired her she doesn't actually do anything dubious. Here, Perrielle is actually being scummy with her deception and propaganda.

Come on, don't play a Disney animated movie song.

In your opinion, how is the localization?

In your opinion, how is the localization?

I am playing with the Japanese voices. I can tell that sometimes that sometimes the English dialogue isn't reflecting what is being spoken in the audio, but only that one line by uncharacteristic line from Garr (who is always respectful, only speaks when it's about something important, and doesn't make jokes) left me scratching my head.

t7eIC7V.jpeg

Several of Perrielle's lines are about how she is a woman and how she is not to be underestimated but I've seen her archetype in other Japanese media before such as in the Here Comes Miss Modern movie so I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that the lines were localized by a feminist or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom