Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Seethe

Arbiter
This is Dark Souls 4 mashed onto generic AAA openworld?

I just feel tired and sad playing it...

At least DS 2 was different from DS 1 and DS 3 was different from either of those. This is just DS 3.5

Funposter

Arcane
Ok! Do not do a pure strength build. If you want to enjoy melee go Arcane!
I just got the Executioner's Great-sword and it is a magic weapon. My inventory is getting full of weapons you get later on, which all look amazing, but have Faith or Arcane, but 90% Arcane.

After this play-through I will go Arcane Melee.

Too many weapons in my inventory require Faith or Arcane and it is pissing me off because I can not use them! Many of them are fucking dope too.
Just respec bro

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Too many weapons in my inventory require Faith or Arcane and it is pissing me off because I can not use them! Many of them are fucking dope too.

You wouldn't be able to use them anyway because getting upgrade resources is horrible in this game, I can barely manage to find the stuff for my main weapon, I haven't yet upgraded a side arm, my inventory is full of weapons I'd like to give a try for but I can't because there is no way I'm going to use a +8 weapon in the areas I'm currently exploring, that would be more painful than doing a SL1 run.

This wasn't ever a problem in the other souls games. DS1 made it difficult to get to +10 on other weapons, but +9 hit hard enough anyway for solo fun, DS2 had areas that was littered with enough materials to upgrade multiple weapons and you could use the bonfire ascetic to reset the area and get even more, DS3 gives you all you need in end game areas..

Move-sets are more important to me, followed by damage scaling. End game is where you will find plenty of farmable resources, and I don't really need more than a single weapon. The Zweihander has issues with its 45 degree swipes missing dogs and other small vermin. 90% of my attacks with the weapon are jump attacks with the rest being pokes and the rare R1.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's a problem of all heavy and slow weapons. I'm dual-wielding two greatswords, and during the bossfights most of my damage output happens through jumping attacks too, because regular swings are too slow and weak, while enemies are overly fast and aggressive.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Move-sets are more important to me, followed by damage scaling
Dunno, I find most weapons usable, did runs with many builds in previous souls games, I like swapping weapons to keep the feel of gameplay fresh, while damage to me is the most important thing, I shun weapons that make it two or three times longer to kill shit.

The Zweihander has issues with its 45 degree swipes missing dogs and other small vermin.
Because of the way they move, most weapons will miss plenty with dogs anyway. My uchigatana also has like 1/3 of its hits miss whenever I face dogs, which is why I don't even bother killing them when I feel the area is skip friendly (plenty of obstacles around to sprint and mess with AIs), I didn't bother killing them in the academy for example. At this point dogs are something I wish From would just stop including in their games, they're not that challenging, they're just unfun things to fight.

Ah, no. I've never done that in souls games and I'm not going to start. If it's not laying around or buyable from a merchant I don't.

I made an exception once to get the baller side sword in DS1 but this is just a boring, mindless thing to do.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

You wouldn't be able to use them anyway because getting upgrade resources is horrible in this game, I can barely manage to find the stuff for my main weapon, I haven't yet upgraded a side arm, my inventory is full of weapons I'd like to give a try for but I can't because there is no way I'm going to use a +8 weapon in the areas I'm currently exploring, that would be more painful than doing a SL1 run.

This wasn't ever a problem in the other souls games. DS1 made it difficult to get to +10 on other weapons, but +9 hit hard enough anyway for solo fun, DS2 had areas that was littered with enough materials to upgrade multiple weapons and you could use the bonfire ascetic to reset the area and get even more, DS3 gives you all you need in end game areas..

Yeah, I found gems a bit scarce aswell. I am only getting enough for one main arm eating the special upgrade stones and a sidearm eating the common stones at the moment.
However I found a use for all the underleveled garbage. When I return to an area I outleveled to see if I can find an NPC or an Estus charge I missed there I equip my weak +3/+5 whatever weapons. Has the bonus effect of making grazing the open world less boring as you can learn the moveset of the weapon properly.

Curratum

Game is starting to get on my nerves quite a bit.

Everywhere you go, it's always non-stop rushdown DS3 speed bosses (or faster and even more aggressive, honestlty). It's constant pressure, and they're all very fast and can't even be staggered easily with two-handed weapons if you strike first.

Additionally, there's beast-type enemies across the levels and open world that are also as fast as the Boreal Knight of DS3, but much bigger and waving ridiculously big hitboxes around. I've so far had to cheese several of those enemies by just going to the nearest doorway and poking them through it which is a shame because the enemy designs are amazing, but the enemies just move too fast to deal with otherwise for me. (e.g. the lion with the scythe blade chained to its paw in Stormveil, or the giant bears)

eJZUkDe.jpg

I killed it, jump-attacking and poking into its belly from here, but fuck me, what a fun time, doing this shit for 5 minutes because you get obliterated in normal combat, as it moves faster than light.

I am starting to wish for different boss designs, and I hope the game has that later on. I'm starting to get a bit tired of the whole "we'll play almost as fast as Bloodborne now" meme.

ElectricOtter

Everywhere you go, it's always non-stop rushdown DS3 speed bosses (or faster and even more aggressive, honestlty). It's constant pressure, and they're all very fast and can't even be staggered easily with two-handed weapons if you strike first.

Additionally, there's beast-type enemies across the levels and open world that are also as fast as the Boreal Knight of DS3, but much bigger and waving ridiculously big hitboxes around. I've so far had to cheese several of those enemies by just going to the nearest doorway and poking them through it which is a shame because the enemy designs are amazing, but the enemies just move too fast to deal with otherwise for me. (e.g. the lion with the scythe blade chained to its paw in Stormveil, or the giant bears)

eJZUkDe.jpg

I killed it, jump-attacking and poking into its belly from here, but fuck me, what a fun time, doing this shit for 5 minutes because you get obliterated in normal combat, as it moves faster than light.

I am starting to wish for different boss designs, and I hope the game has that later on. I'm starting to get a bit tired of the whole "we'll play almost as fast as Bloodborne now" meme.

go back a page and read my post

cuz i can tell at this point w/ all ur complaining that ur shit at the game and that n00b armour u got on is confirming all that

luckily for u my gamer guide will make u go from hiding in staircases from grizzly bears to terror of the lands

u can thank me by switching to linux and never playing video games ever again :3

Tyrr

Liturgist

Explore dungeons and you will find a way to buy upgrade materials. Like in other Souls games before.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I didn't have to spend hours looking at my horse ass in "other souls games before" to find the dungeons (well, mostly caves/mines settings here) that have some goods.

All things considered I would prefer a tightly designed/planned gameworld like the titles we're used to, but I'm glad FromSoftware got their chance to unload this massive behemoth of a game on the gaming world.

Similar feeling after spending some more time with it. Glad it exists despite any misgivings I have.

eJZUkDe.jpg

Per earlier posts in the thread and general advice floating around bleed appears to be the way to go early game for HP-percentage based damage. Massive boss/miniboss health pools relative to mediocre player damage output.

Doubtless other builds and strategies will become more competitive over time as the community figures stuff out.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Bleed was also very good in DS3 on release (PvE and PvP). Until they nerfed it into the ground later. Such a shame, I really liked the luck/hollow builds.

Curratum

I'm starting to feel the game may have been made a little too big for its own good as well.

I thought the map's southernmost part was Limgrave, but I had forgotten about that bridge that leads south to the peninsula. Asset reuse fatigue over those multiple areas is starting to set in. I've just done the 6th or 7th of the same mini dungeon with skeletons that has the same end boss room in it and uses the same tileset.

Can't just grind the main content either because I'm missing so many items, buffs, weapons and so on. You are more or less forced to explore and it's starting to wear me down a bit.

Not trying to dunk on the game, I'm still having a lot of fun, but I'm at 26 hours and have a ton of stuff left on the peninsula and some in Limgrave and the remainder of the world map is fucking massive.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Speaking of RPGness - this is the first Fromsoft game since Demon's Souls where physial damage types really matters.

Just encountered Crystalines boss fights (two crystal dudes in a cave under Academy, locked behind a swordstone key fog). I had +5 greatsword, and it was a mess - my damage output was so pitiful, at first I thought I was significantly outleveled and should come back later. But then i switched to my shitty +2 mace, and literally wiped the floor with those fuckers. Only used two estus gulps.

If for some reason the damage you deal is too low, try switching to a blunt weapon.

nimateb

Augur
Starting tomorrow, I need to get my shit together, I have work and a wife, I'm addicted to the game, I've played 25 hours since Friday evening.

I haven't had this amount of gaming for a good while.

The phone rings from friends or family and I want to murder them because they interrupt me.

The game is incredible. I don't know what else to say. How are they going to top this, ever?

The only thing that I found a bit underwhelming was:

The moving mausoleum

Same problem here, only worse with a 1 year old. Gaming is not for me anymore.

The game itself its very good, I feel the same about a non open world could have been better but im glad it got made (20 hs in).

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
most weapons will miss plenty with dogs anyway.

Most weapons lack reach, but hammers and axes (big and small) will do the job because of their reach and move sets.

The Zwei's hitbox is less generous than it was in the previous games.

Salvo

Arcane

eJZUkDe.jpg

After playing 40 hours I've reached the conclusion that Sekiro is a better game than Elden Ring

A shame, really

Shrimp

Arbiter
Speaking of RPGness - this is the first Fromsoft game since Demon's Souls where physial damage types really matters.

Just encountered Crystalines boss fights (two crystal dudes in a cave under Academy, locked behind a swordstone key fog). I had +5 greatsword, and it was a mess - my damage output was so pitiful, at first I thought I was significantly outleveled and should come back later. But then i switched to my shitty +2 mace, and literally wiped the floor with those fuckers. Only used two estus gulps.

If for some reason the damage you deal is too low, try switching to a blunt weapon.
Same principle also applies to some of the rock-like humans you some times find in mine type dungeons. My curved greatsword did fuck all damage to them, but when I switched to a piercing weapon following the advice given to me by a player-written message on the ground I could kill them in two hits.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron

A few jump attacks will take care of that.

Curratum et al

I feel like some of you guys might be missing a pretty big aspect of the combat. You should try focusing on using charged strong attacks to break poise, particularly against the fuckhuge enemies, to open them up to crits. Pointing Curra-san out specifically because the bears he pointed out are trivialized by this strategy - takes me two charged R2s with a great epee to open them up to a crit I can capitalize on with a misericord for #massivedamage. Ruin sentinel giants, land octopi, and many other friends get completely wrecked by this approach. I know this may sound counterintuitive considering the speed of most enemies, but remember that you can release the charged strong attack early and still do much more poise damage than you would if you just tapped it. Most enemies should give you an opening to throw a charged strong attack in and if you are still having trouble staggering them, try to throw in a guard counter on the final strike of the enemy combo as it likewise does a lot of poise damage.

Cromwell

Arcane
whoever decided that, instead of just blocking teleport, blocking the whole map in fights is a good idea deserves to be beheaded. Its fucking annoying to not be able to open the map just because theres is some unmovable stone object 500 meters away that happens to be poisenous.

That's because to be unblocked the MAP is legally obligated to disclose itself as a sex offender to neighbors in a half kilometer radius (or otherwise dependant on jurisdiction) bro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom