Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Generic-Giant-Spider

:drink:

"There's room in this industry for only one of us, pard'ner."

Black Angel

Arcane
Smells like FAKE NEWS™, but if true.... Fucking fat fuck, I'm waiting for The Winds of Winter with bated breath over here :argh:
It's possible GRRM is a poor writer, but he most certainly wasn't when he wrote the first three ASOIAF books.
I'd say starting from A Feast for Crows, his writings began to truly mature. In short, I pretty much agree with Mrbtongue's point in the video below

In particular, I really like Septon Meribald's character as a 'goodass'.

rezaf

Cipher
Nice video, though I feel the author misses an important detail: The series started out much more in spirit with the books, but it got condensed into the battle of badasses he describes mosty for one reason: As the plot of the series passed the last published novel, the authors of the show no longer had the guidance of thick (arguably) well written books to distill the contents of their show from - all they had was a more or less vague plot outline and probably a healthy measure of creative freedom.
Why is that so?
If GRRM had gotten his act together and delivered on one of the many, many deadlines he already passed, the show might be a lot better (or more "in spirit") for it.
But nooooo, he dragged out his release cycle from a book every two years to five, six and now at least seven years from one release to the other. The guy is over seventy, at this pace there's a decent chance he'll be watching the grass grow from the other side before he gets to finish the SOIAF.
For this reason alone, I'll be eternally grateful to the HBO series - at least I get to see how it all ends.

Besides, the spirit of the books also changed a tad, as did the writing style. Typical phenomenon with successful writers, at some point no editor dares questioning their decisions (or schedule, in case of GRRM).
Happened with a lot of authors. Just look at the first Harry Potter books and the last. Or the early Grisham books vs the later ones.
Whether or not you consider the later SOIAF books better than the earlier ones is just a matter of personal taste, imo.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The show goes downhill after a few seasons as well.
Absolutely! But didn't that coincide with Martin not working with the writers anymore or something like that?
I always thought the turn from an absolutely amazing show to normie popamole shit had to do with Martins work not being the basis for the writers anymore.

[Edit] And here comes rezaf 's post which explains it. [/Edit]

praetor

Arcane
It's possible GRRM is a poor writer, but he most certainly wasn't when he wrote the first three ASOIAF books.

considering everything else he's written, i'd say he's a poor writer who lucked out (or got divine inspiration or stole or whatever) with 3 nearly brilliant novels

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently G.R.R Martin recently said the undead in GOT was a reference to climate change. Maybe this game will address that and do something about pet dragons farting, or the Clegane brothers eating too much meat/protein, or your ships will take longer to get to their destination because of all the pollution and ice in the sea, etc. It's 2019 after all.

I wish these cunts would just stay out of politics. Nothing like Cersei marching through the streets of London against a democratic vote - so far up their own asses, irony escapes them - effectively shouting "shame" at the British people. Kinda makes it hard to enjoy anything they do after that.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://www.gamesradar.com/george-r-r-martin-fromsoftware-game-e3-norse-great-rune/

We might get to see that Norse George RR Martin and FromSoftware game at E3

George RR Martin has apparently joined forced with FromSoftware, creators of the git gud Soulsborne collection of videogames like Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. But don’t assume it’s going to be set in the world of Game of Thrones, as rumours have it that this game - titled Great Rune, supposedly - is set in the Norse world, exploring Norse mythology and all its dark legends.

Martin himself confirmed in a blog post that he’s “consulted on a videogame out of Japan”, yet before this official confirmation there were already reports of the collaboration surfacing earlier this year. But we won’t have to depend on rumours for long, as other sources say that the game is going to be shown off at this year’s E3… can I get a hell yeah? As it’s focus is the Norse mythos, like God of War and the rumoured Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok, a big part of the game is going to be exploring its open world on horseback, a big change from previous FromSoftware games which traditionally have you fighting and running around on foot.
Souls + Rune + Shadow of Colossus?

incline.png
incline.png
incline.png

hackncrazy

Savant
Wow, so this is really happening? I was sure that it was just a rumor.

Let's see what is coming from here. The one thing we know for sure is that Martin will never finish ASOIAF.

Sounds pretty cool.

The thing I am curious about is whether this move means that From's next title would be more story-focused - it would be a bit odd to hire the acknowledged ASOIAF author for world building only. I also remember Miyazaki saying in an interview that one of the reasons he uses indirect storytelling in his games is the difficulty of building a plot etc. (for a non writer, I am assuming). Maybe they hired Martin just for that.

Swigen

Arbiter
What are the Japs “consulting” Mr. Martin about? Just skimming through his wiki page it looks like he was an English teacher, not any kind of authority on Norse Mythology.

Japs: “Harro? Harrro?? Mista Martin-san, prease advise on Vikings!”

Martin: “Pffft I dunno, just give them long hair and swords or whatever.”

Guess they’ll plaster his name in giant letters on the cover just like all those shitty short story collections he “edits” flooding the New Releases section of every bookstore.

Gerrard

Arcane
The real question is: can From make a game that's not a fucking Dark Souls clone in at least 50% of its mechanics? Bloodborne and Sekiro say "no".

called Great Rune
set in the Norse world, exploring Norse mythology and all its dark legends.
I wonder what the Human Head Studios (Rune for the plebs out there) have to say about this.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This really should have stayed an april fool joke instead of becoming a real thing.
Another snownigger environment game by From, after the monotony of Dark Souls 3 grey/silvery/brown sludge.. pass. Vikings are a tired meme too and let's not even mention the part of the rumor that talks of open world. Holy shit, exploration was beyond boring crap with no risk or challenge in Sekiro, an actual open world game by From with horse back riding? This could be a replacement drug for people who need benzodiazepines. Maybe a slightly better game than Skyrim if they keep real boss fights in between the trash content.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sounds like he's muscling in on the "Chris Avellone Stretch Goal" territory. Jokes aside, From Software hiring a big name writing consultant is pretty weird to me. I can't think of anything they've made that would really benefit all that much from a traditional writer. Their games are all mood and atmosphere, not dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom