Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Curratum

I can't deal with it, honestly. If you can't come up with unique enemies to populate your new huige-ass area of the map, don't add it.

The frozen north is entirely populated with reskins of previous enemies, both humans with swords types and monsters / humanoids. I was so jaded by it all at this point, I just beelined to whatever the graces were pointing and got shit done.

Funposter

Arcane
I can't deal with it, honestly. If you can't come up with unique enemies to populate your new huige-ass area of the map, don't add it.

The frozen north is entirely populated with reskins of previous enemies, both humans with swords types and monsters / humanoids. I was so jaded by it all at this point, I just beelined to whatever the graces were pointing and got shit done.
Why are there t-rex dogs in the Mountaintop of Giants?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I´m burn out at 65 hours and only Godrick and Rennala down, and Limgrave, Peninsula, Liurnia and half Caelid explored.

The game is good but I have lost drive to keep playing. Not feeling investing 60 more hours on it to finish.

Have done almost nothing more this month in real life than working and playing it. If I would enjoy it as much as DS1, Bloodborne or Sekiro I would keep on playing it, but I shouldn't invest so much time that not being the case.

Nevertheless I will keep on reading this thread. Has been one of the best and more interesting ones I remember in RPGCodex. You guys rock!

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
It appears there's around ten larval tears in the game allowing you to respec per new game cycle. Why the fuck isn't it unlimited? Charge 200,000 runes to do it without the larval tear, that's fine but their mishandling of respec yet again is a anti-fun feature that discourages experimentation. What's the harm in letting players respec unlimited times?

Just wondering to the people rating "NO" why the fuck do you care what people do in a primarily singleplayer game?

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
It appears there's around ten larval tears in the game allowing you to respec per new game cycle. Why the fuck isn't it unlimited? Charge 200,000 runes to do it without the larval tear, that's fine but their mishandling of respec yet again is a anti-fun feature that discourages experimentation. What's the harm in letting players respec unlimited times?
You can farm them by killing the boulders that roll after you

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Most important Mod todate is ready to download:

Nude Female Mod

130-1647017509-240122099.jpeg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I see you're still being snippy for no reason. Keep being butthurt at random things online I guess. Doesn't affect me, faggot. :M
Ah how typical of your people, talk shit then cry when it gets handed back. Some things never change.
How am I crying, retard? Does calling you a faggot count as tears now? :lol:

Just because I point out what an antisocial fuck you're acting like doesn't mean you've hurt me. Please continue "handing shit back to me", if you want though. You're a little bitch and I clearly have thicker skin than you in that I don't get insulted by people's opinions on videogames, so it doesn't bother me. :M

Silva

Arcane
Just beat the game after trying the final boss a good number of times.

Level 126 after eating the 500k runes the boss gives. 102 hours playtime on Steam.

Not a great game, not a terrible game. Definitely didn't impact my imagination and won't stick with me the way DS1 and 2 did. About as uninspired and "by the numbers" fantasy as DS3.

Took away some beautiful screenshots and not much else. The gameplay experience boiled down to exploration which got incredibly stale about halfway into the game, and dealing with unpleasant boss fights that are way too ranged-friendly and overtuned / fast to be enjoyable and worth learning solo, and way too dumb and brainless when done with the powerful summons, which I was sadly forced to do.

There were less memorable and awesome boss fights in this game than there were in DS games, even 3. This is already saying a lot about the game, given the sheer number of bosses. The boss repeats / reuses were nauseating too.

A colossal effort was put into the asset creation and art direction of the game, but everything else about it is on a level that I ultimately find to be lesser than the DS games.

A respectable 7 out of 10.

Now back to playing Tank Mechanic Sim...
The thing with DS3 is that it's got some pretty good bosses (even if the rest of the game is weak). Gael and Eldriede are among the best shit From produced, and Dancer and Twin Princes don't stay much behind (Edit: and it's elite monks are pretty good too - Outrider knights, Lothric knights, Irythil knights, etc.). Also, even if it began the autism trend of cheap bosses, it wasn't as obnoxious as I'm seeing here.

Not trying to defend DS3 at all, but credit where it's due. I'll probably rank Elden Ring above it overall when I'm finished, but I can see how DS3 can have more memorable moments.

Curratum

Friendly reminder that Salt & Sanctuary is still the best non-From game of this genre and it is a wonderful 20-ish hour ride through a beautiful, dark, detailed world with great lore and combat, bosses and art design.
Just beat the game after trying the final boss a good number of times.

Level 126 after eating the 500k runes the boss gives. 102 hours playtime on Steam.

Not a great game, not a terrible game. Definitely didn't impact my imagination and won't stick with me the way DS1 and 2 did. About as uninspired and "by the numbers" fantasy as DS3.

Took away some beautiful screenshots and not much else. The gameplay experience boiled down to exploration which got incredibly stale about halfway into the game, and dealing with unpleasant boss fights that are way too ranged-friendly and overtuned / fast to be enjoyable and worth learning solo, and way too dumb and brainless when done with the powerful summons, which I was sadly forced to do.

There were less memorable and awesome boss fights in this game than there were in DS games, even 3. This is already saying a lot about the game, given the sheer number of bosses. The boss repeats / reuses were nauseating too.

A colossal effort was put into the asset creation and art direction of the game, but everything else about it is on a level that I ultimately find to be lesser than the DS games.

A respectable 7 out of 10.

Now back to playing Tank Mechanic Sim...
The thing with DS3 is that it's got some pretty good bosses (even if the rest of the game is weak). Gael and Eldriede are among the best shit From produced, and Dancer and Twin Princes don't stay much behind (Edit: and it's elite monks are pretty good too - Outrider knights, Lothric knights, Irythil knights, etc.). Also, even if it began the autism trend of cheap bosses, it wasn't as obnoxious as I'm seeing here.

Not trying to defend DS3 at all, but credit where it's due. I'll probably rank Elden Ring above it overall when I'm finished, but I can see how DS3 can have more memorable moments.

I was ready to rank ER above DS3 when I was about halfway into it as well, but by the end, that changed significantly.

deem

Savant
Visited this place, the flooded ruins of a church in the middle of the forest. The area was haunted by a spectral man on a boat, a Charon-like figure, capable of resurrecting the dead. In the basement of the church I found a turtle sanctuary.

20220311212745-1.jpg

Whenever I feel bored playing ER and want to rail on it having endless repeats of enemies and bosses, I come across a cool new unexpected twist like Mohg in the sewers or Lichdragon Fortissax. Plus I just got the Moonlight Greatsword and life's good.

Level 125 and still got some ways to go - just cleared Castle Sol. I think powering through the game when you're just annoyed or bored of it is a bad idea. It's an enormous game with a lot of downsides but also many positives that get obscured if you just insist on playing while mad. I fall prey to this effect sometimes but I try to keep it in check.

The amount of cool shit in the game really is amazing. It's just too bad they felt the need to pad out the ending so much.

At this point, I very much resent From getting stuck in this Souls rut and wish they would put out something innovative again in the way of the original Demon's Souls (still my favourite game of the entire series due to its novelty at the time). Sekiro was a step in the right direction, but too many people were butthurt about it. Since Elden Ring sold stupid amounts and every soyface idiot is spouting BEST GAME EVA, plus the fact that From is now a bloated developer orders of magnitude bigger than even a few years ago, this means that we'll probably have nothing but Elden Ring clones for the next 10 years.

No new King's Field, no Shadow Tower, no Armored Core. It's depressing.

Last edited:
I see you're still being snippy for no reason. Keep being butthurt at random things online I guess. Doesn't affect me, faggot. :M
Ah how typical of your people, talk shit then cry when it gets handed back. Some things never change.
How am I crying, retard? Does calling you a faggot count as tears now? :lol:

Just because I point out what an antisocial fuck you're acting like doesn't mean you've hurt me. Please continue "handing shit back to me", if you want though.
This entire interaction started when I was correcting some misconceptions you had about the game, sourced from a reddit fotm video. Your first and seemingly only retort at this point is to claim "u mad tho lul" as if your only socialization comes from 4chan posts or watching Crispy interact with people.

You're a little bitch and I clearly have thicker skin than you in that I don't get insulted by people's opinions on videogames, so it doesn't bother me. :M
How does it go?

The lady doth protest too much methinks?

Curratum

Visited this place, the flooded ruins of a church in the middle of the forest. The area was haunted by a spectral man on a boat, a Charon-like figure, capable of resurrecting the dead. In the basement of the church I found a turtle sanctuary.

20220311212745-1.jpg

Just wait until you have to fight the cool first-time Charon boatman another five times in different locations! :D

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
"You'll never be able to hit a boss with that! They move!" :lol:
Did you watch the video? He used a bug to break the bosses ai so he wouldn't move at all. And only used rock sling on the boss that had working ai.
Of course I watched the video. I just found it funny that he literally didn't move at all. Again, be less butthurt over people's opinions on videogames, guys.

Have From Soft games so emotionally scarred the Codex that you get angry over every comment or differing opinion on it you see, or is it just that it draws the no life losers whose entire sense of self-worth comes from "owning" people online?

Curratum

I have always been against the belief that reviews are paid-for by devs/publishers and all that jazz. I think they're usually just incompetent or blinded by aspects of fanboyism and I don't want to believe that actual money changes hands.

But honestly, how can you ever explain Elden Ring getting so many 10/10 scores? Genuine question, I have been thinking about it for several days.

Did every single reviewer only play 10-15 hours of the game, while everything is still new, fresh and grossly incandescent and you haven't had time to see the uglier flaws, of which there is about half a dozen?
Is this mass psychosis? Why were ALL reviewers so in concert about giving the game perfect scores?

Will anyone, even one person, in here agree that this is indeed a 10/10 game and one of the top 3 best games of ALL TIME? It seems surreal to think about it, once you've played the whole thing and seen it for what it is.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This entire interaction started when I was correcting some misconceptions you had about the game, sourced from a reddit fotm video.
I posted the video after you commented that the moonveil and other weapons more broken than any mage spell.

And it wasn't on reddit. I don't use reddit. You may though given how permanently assmad you are about bing bing wahoo videogames. :lol:
How does it go?

The lady doth protest too much methinks?
Nah, you're a fragile bitch. Prove me wrong. :M

deem

Savant
Just wait until you have to fight the cool first-time Charon boatman another five times in different locations! :D

It seems that people who have finished the game are pretty burned out right now. I think I'll pace myself more, because I genuinely enjoy the game and I don't want to get too cynical about corner cutting.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I have always been against the belief that reviews are paid-for by devs/publishers and all that jazz. I think they're usually just incompetent or blinded by aspects of fanboyism and I don't want to believe that actual money changes hands.
I think it does in many cases. But it's in the form of ad revenue.

That and they get nice little fanboy bribes.

Funposter

Arcane
How do you craft a balanced experience when the expected power level of the player can vary so dramatically? The answer is that you can't.
I bet if from software implemented level scaling most of their fans would say it's a breakthrough in game design.
Elden Ring has level scaled trash mobs. HP and damage of creature types is not internally consistent. It's just not done algorithmically ala Oblivion, but it also affects more enemy types than the level scaling in that game.
hey deem you fucking spastic, refer to my review before rating shit "citation needed". rats with over 1,000 hp is level scaling you dumbfuck.

But honestly, how can you ever explain Elden Ring getting so many 10/10 scores?
Did every single reviewer only play 10-15 hours of the game, while everything is still new, fresh and grossly incandescent and you haven't had time to see the uglier flaws, of which there is about half a dozen?

Yes. I'd bet good money that no reviewer for any of the bigger outlets even came close to finishing the game. They probably never left Limgrave or, at best, cleared the castle there and saw a bit of Liurnia. If they had played more of the game (I'm not even saying finishing it, just enough to get to the harder parts) you can be sure we'd have seen a lot more whining and whinging about difficulty and how there's no easymode for cripples.

How do you craft a balanced experience when the expected power level of the player can vary so dramatically? The answer is that you can't.
I bet if from software implemented level scaling most of their fans would say it's a breakthrough in game design.
Elden Ring has level scaled trash mobs. HP and damage of creature types is not internally consistent. It's just not done algorithmically ala Oblivion, but it also affects more enemy types than the level scaling in that game.
hey deem you fucking spastic, refer to my review before rating shit "citation needed". rats with over 1,000 hp is level scaling you dumbfuck.
I don't think the same types of mobs in later areas with more HP qualifies as level scaling though (even though it's an equally shit mechanic) - do the rats in Limgrave get more HP as you level up, for example?

Last edited:
I posted the video after you commented that the moonveil and other weapons more broken than any mage spell.
From what I've seen 99% of spells suck when compared to the over tuned weapon arts system. Icerind axe, moonveil, sword of night and flames, sword of blasphemy, etc etc.
Anyways congratulations on posting the 1% of spells that don't suck while the rest of the 99% are basically garbage.
I wasn't stating this sarcastically or ironically. I'm not surprised you chose to lie about a conversation that happened less than a day ago, it is in your nature after all. Sadly you are now reaching rusty_shackleford levels of pettiness to keep this conversation going just for a little bit of attention/posting count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom