Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Shrimp

Arbiter
kindda regret we don't get proper covenants anymore - you'd think an open-world design would be a great fit - but alas. Otherwise I don't have many systems-related gripes
Agree. The open world and lore with so many actors and factions would be ripe ground for covenants.

Is it possible the covenants are implemented through updates or DLCs? I see reports of missing things like NPC questlines, scaling in certain weapons, etc. Maybe they're taking it slow this time?
I'm like 99% sure they said in some pre-release interview that the game wouldn't have traditional covenants like in the other games, I'll see if I can find it.
There are still remnants of the system in place such as the circle next to your HP/FP/Stamina showing you which rune you're using (instead of showing your covenant) and some NPCs like the Beast Clergyman that will reward you for handing in some specific items.

yzcoignl78e81.png

I don't speak moon runes, but according to some guy in the comment section of the Reddit page I found this on says it means the following:
Source: Miyazaki interview (The overture of Elden ring)

In multiplayer, will there be a covenant system like in "Dark Souls"?

Miyazaki: The covenants in the Dark Souls series are not present in this game. The network elements of the game were designed to lower the bar as much as possible and make it easier to match up players, such as signs, and the covenant system doesn't really fit in well with that.

deem

Savant
I have reached...

the Divine Tower of Caelid.

20220312185111-1.jpg

Lots of nerve racking climbing. Some parts of the facade crumbled can't be crossed without the help of Torrent.

20220312184410-1.jpg

The tower is guarded by Redmane foot soldiers, but these ones are much stronger than the ones I encountered at Redmane Castle. They also drop 1000 runes each.

20220312184426-1.jpg

Finally, a bonfire!

20220312184754-1.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do people find that they have to respec frequently?
I respecced once as soon as I reached Rennala, because I dumbly put points into DEX hoping to make a quality claymore build. However, every point spent on DEX was a wasted level because the heavy infusion is simply an overall better choice. With 60/60, a quality claymore deals 5 more damage than a heavy one with 80/13. Those 27 levels are better spent on Vigor or Endurance. With 60 Vigor, you can get to some p. ridiculous health bars:

hp1.png
After that, equipping a gargoyle greatsword was the only respec I did.

Curratum

Imagine being mad at Caelid, in the blissful lull of the ignorance of now knowing what comes later on...

On the subject of endings, all of them are pretty drab and most of them differ by literally the color of the sky in the ending cutscene and ONE sentence of narrated text.

It's the lowest amount of effort and justification or explanation possible.

Curratum

I'm done with the "gameplay" right now, gave up on Malenia and finding the remaining two bosses with achievements.

I wish they would start posting some lore explanations so the whole bullshit in the game would start making some sort of sense.

How is the rot-afflicted one-armed girl in Caelid connected to Malenia who also misses her right arm and has red hair? You cure the Caelid girl with a golden needle, and there's also a Miquella gold needle which is used by the player.
Why does the poison manor with the Briar Knight boss have a room full of prosthetics, seemingly like the one Malenia is wearing? What does any of that have to do with the manor caretaker who is found behind it as a spirit? Set item descriptions made no sense.
Are the godskin noble and apostle really wearing old snakeskin shed by Rykard?
More explanation on who the fuck Radagon is and why he's merged with Marika and why he left Rennala to join Marika in the erdtree?
Why the hell is Radagon/Marika just hanging inside the erdtree, seemingly crucified on what looks exactly like the consumable rune arc item, and like the summoning pool statues and the crosses with victims on them across the land? Who put that person on the rune arc cross? Is this self-imposed martyrdom? What is going on in general?
What the fuck is Miquela doing inside of a furry egg in Mohgwyn's private BDSM chamber?
Why is Ranni's body made of what looks like rope or twine covered with porcelain?
Why is Malenia's body made of what looks like plastic or porcelain overlaid ontop of intertwined plates of gold?
Why is Margit's model used for half the mainline bosses in the game?

So many questions, so few answers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom