Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lol, people are complaining about fire giant? Really? :roll:
It's more that people find him obnoxious and a symptom of FromSoft designing bosses beyond what their engine allows to be fun. Thematically it's great that he's here, it's always nice to have a change of pace from the Artorias clone #74, but they should really invest some money into their engineers so that they can design a dynamic camera that works with these kind of bosses.

On the one hand, I don't get one of the usual forms of this complaint - that enemies zip around at BB speed while the player is stuck at DS speed. I mean, if you want to have completely even battles where the enemies you fight are bound by the same rules, just pvp. Otherwise that's part and parcel of making things interesting.

On the other hand, this particular camera complaint is spot on. So many of the controls seem to want you to be locked on that it's more of a pain in the ass to play without being locked on, but at the same time, staying locked on is just an invitation towards incomprehensible experiences that result in nausea and probably character death. Yes, you can mitigate it by fighting unlocked, but really, you should be able to expect to remain locked on and still have an enjoyable, comprehensible experience instead of having the janky camera spazzing out and shitting itself.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's interesting how many items existed specifically to deal with some bosses in this game, two of which are specifically against one boss - did playtesters complain about Mohg that much?

XKu9nbk.jpg

Removes the "drink half your flask" session of phase 2 transition.

8UIiNEf.jpg

Works like the music box in bloodborne that you used against Gascoigne. Works on both Mohg fights.

PdwS6EJ.jpg

Same, works on both Margit and Morgott.

HytQxBT.jpg

This is very similar to the pendant you use to disable Manus's magic attacks in Dark Souls 1. The "parry" window is very big and deflects Maliketh's second phase black blade attacks, this actually makes him vulnerable for a short while so unlike the pendant this isn't just a replacement for a shield but a boss disabler altogether.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, Miquella is a guy's name

A guy's name? Sounds like a female name to me. But Miquella is "he".

Just like Margit or Miriel (turtle pope). All of them dudes with female names. Plus of course the whole "I'm Radagon but I identify as Marika" thing.

Is that FS' way of keeping up with the times?
For reference:

miqs.png
But whatever "being a god's consort" means is pretty shady and obscure. Since you can become Marika's Elden Lord as a female character, I guess Mohg can become Miquella's "Elden Lord". Bearing children shouldn't be a problem, since apparently gods can spawn children whenever they feel like it.

Cromwell

Arcane
Bearing children shouldn't be a problem, since apparently gods can spawn children whenever they feel like it.

I thought all the almurics (?) in Moghs place probably meant that his dynasty starts with fake people he creates himself or something.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I wonder at what point the notion of covenants were dropped and the great-runes took their place in the UI. The Volcano Manor and the Mogwhyn Dynasty had to have been the designated PvP Invasion covenants at some point in development a la DS1's Darkwraiths and Chaos Servants.

Did anything else in the game stick out like that to anyone else? I've read some speculation that all those crypts dotted around the map were going to be guarded by a PvP covenant like DS2's Bell-Keepers.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Also, Miquella is a guy's name

A guy's name? Sounds like a female name to me. But Miquella is "he".

Just like Margit or Miriel (turtle pope). All of them dudes with female names. Plus of course the whole "I'm Radagon but I identify as Marika" thing.

Is that FS' way of keeping up with the times?
For reference:

miqs.png
But whatever "being a god's consort" means is pretty shady and obscure. Since you can become Marika's Elden Lord as a female character, I guess Mohg can become Miquella's "Elden Lord". Bearing children shouldn't be a problem, since apparently gods can spawn children whenever they feel like it.

There's also evidence of asexual reproduction and Fia's entire deal which appears to be asexual, but the way it's discussed makes me uncertain about that. There's also some uncertainty about what all of these beings are made of, some are flesh and bone, but others inhabit dolls, some start to become minerals, some are bits of this and that. It's really unclear that human sex is on the table for a lot of the things involved. A lot of the art for Marika makes her look like she's porcelain or stone, for example.

Olinser

Savant
I wonder at what point the notion of covenants were dropped and the great-runes took their place in the UI. The Volcano Manor and the Mogwhyn Dynasty had to have been the designated PvP Invasion covenants at some point in development a la DS1's Darkwraiths and Chaos Servants.

Did anything else in the game stick out like that to anyone else? I've read some speculation that all those crypts dotted around the map were going to be guarded by a PvP covenant like DS2's Bell-Keepers.

I've said before but the whole 'summoning statue' thing smacks of a late addition. They're utterly pointless because they're almost ALWAYS right next to the Grace, so it's not like you have to search them out to get the benefit for the boss, and the whole 'hey here's a SEPARATE item that drops your symbol at the statue regardless of where you are in the area' just screams 'people whined that they actually had to walk to the place they wanted to be summoned'.

The whole 'miners bell bearings' also screams to me 'hey people hate going back to low level areas and farming low level stones to upgrade, we have to add a way to streamline it'.

Nathir

Liturgist

I also thought the same. I just felt so many times I encountered a covenant, but alas, no option to join was offered. Volcano manor being the most obvious one.

The thing that stuck out the most to me was the odd placement of graces in some places. In dungeons, a lot of the shortcuts were borderline useless. It felt like the levels were done already. And then at the end someone went through the whole map and added graces after every "segment", so after you are done with a particular stretch you always have a grace waiting for you.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The whole 'miners bell bearings' also screams to me 'hey people hate going back to low level areas and farming low level stones to upgrade, we have to add a way to streamline it'.

Farming for random drops sucks balls. It's good that they added the ability to upgrade whatever you feel like if you feel like it just for the price of souls runes, after sufficient progress and exploration.

Barbarian

Arcane
Great game bros. Having tons of fun with it. Thinking I might have missed equal amount of good gaming by not having tried the other games by the same developer.

But wanna really know something great about this that few people comment on?

no force fed blacks, faggots, transvestites and other assorted misplaced diversity and wokeness in medieval settings

Good thing the japs are still somewhat free from this bullshit it seems. Refreshing.

Sunri

Liturgist
I wonder if Miquella is a kid at the present time of ER his hand doesn't look like a kiddo hand
Can-you-fight-Miquella-in-Elden-Ring.jpg

There is also a theory that he was St Trina and can swap his appearance depending on what someone wants to see, so maybe Mohg doesn't even know that he is a boy?

Silver sword carried by clerics of St. Trina. Inflicts sleep ailment upon foes.
St. Trina is an enigmatic figure. Some say she is a comely young girl, others are sure he is a boy. The only certainty is that their appearance was as sudden as their disappearance.
There is also a related torch that depicts him as adult

Candlestand torch that burns with a light-purple flame. The carvings depict St. Trina, but in adult form, somewhat unnervingly.

The light-purple flame induces sleep.

And St Trina arrows that resemble lilies, and we have Miquella's Lily in the game I hope we get some more info in the DLC maybe we could visit his dream? And stuff it's weird that there is zero interaction with the cocoon

Last edited:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I wonder if Miquella is a kid at the present time of ER his hand doesn't look like a kiddo hand

I imagine he looks like this because Mogh has been feeding him blood. You can see his child like appearance in the intro blurb when you start a new game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
More than bloated world or itemization, what really surprises me is how even the mechanics are bloated, something FROM was always expert at designing. How they made this after the mechanical elegance of Sekiro is beyond me.
open world is to blame for that. Fromsoft knew they need a ton of little rewards scattered around the map so the player would feel incentivized to explore every little nook and cranny, so they bloated the itemization, added a bunch of weapons that are functionally very similar, added a ton of barely usable spells, added a ton talismans of dubious quality, made a corresponding summoning ash for every enemy in the game to pad out the list of possible rewards, etc.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's interesting how many items existed specifically to deal with some bosses in this game, two of which are specifically against one boss - did playtesters complain about Mohg that much?
similar thing with bewitching branches (which can be used during Commander Niall fight to a great effect, but otherwise aren't exactly useful) and sleeping pots/arrows (useful when facing multiple bosses like Godskin duo, but most of the other dangerous enemies cannot be put to sleep).

Great game bros. Having tons of fun with it. Thinking I might have missed equal amount of good gaming by not having tried the other games by the same developer.

I really enjoy this game but the more I progress into the later stages into the game, the more I have the impression that "balance" is like in some Morrowind mod that went out of control.

Speaking of your quote, in the meanwhile I finally got around to getting a controller and PS Now for Bloodborne. Looks like it's Dark Souls 1 tier of quality . I also booted up Demon's Souls on RPCS3 when that meh remake came out, but abandoned it after Boletaria, shame on me.

(yeah, if you didn't play DS1 that's their magnum opus, start with it)

SumDrunkGuy

Dayum Maliketh's sword is fuckin sweet. I went and grinded some runes, respecced, and upgraded that beast to max. It's more powerful than my ruins sword which I wasn't expecting. Time to finish this bitch.

Olinser

Savant

Farming for random drops sucks balls. It's good that they added the ability to upgrade whatever you feel like if you feel like it just for the price of souls runes, after sufficient progress and exploration.

Oh, I'm definitely not complaining that they added it in, but it absolutely felt to me like it was something added VERY late in development 'hey guys the playtesters say that it fucking sucks balls to have to spend hours farming low level areas for shards to change your weapon lategame, do something about it'.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm not sure about that, the same system was already present in Dark Souls 3 (where you could buy titanite after finding a corresponding Ashes and giving them to Handmaiden).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom