Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Sheepherder

Augur
More than bloated world or itemization, what really surprises me is how even the mechanics are bloated, something FROM was always expert at designing. How they made this after the mechanical elegance of Sekiro is beyond me.
open world is to blame for that. Fromsoft knew they need a ton of little rewards scattered around the map so the player would feel incentivized to explore every little nook and cranny, so they bloated the itemization, added a bunch of weapons that are functionally very similar, added a ton of barely usable spells, added a ton talismans of dubious quality, made a corresponding summoning ash for every enemy in the game to pad out the list of possible rewards, etc.
My thoughts exactly. Crafting is the main culprit. Each consumable requires at least 3 components to make, so that's x3 items Fromsoft can now fill the world with. Same with weapon upgrades. Each tier requires 12 smithing stones, so that's 96 stones plus the Dragon one.
Gone is the feeling of discovery when you find a hidden nook of a map only for the loot there to be an Arterial Flower or some mushrooms.

Also, of all the Greatsword and only Claymore has the poke R2. Which means only the Claymore is worth using :(

Hassar

Scholar
More than bloated world or itemization, what really surprises me is how even the mechanics are bloated, something FROM was always expert at designing. How they made this after the mechanical elegance of Sekiro is beyond me.
open world is to blame for that. Fromsoft knew they need a ton of little rewards scattered around the map so the player would feel incentivized to explore every little nook and cranny, so they bloated the itemization, added a bunch of weapons that are functionally very similar, added a ton of barely usable spells, added a ton talismans of dubious quality, made a corresponding summoning ash for every enemy in the game to pad out the list of possible rewards, etc.
My thoughts exactly. Crafting is the main culprit. Each consumable requires at least 3 components to make, so that's x3 items Fromsoft can now fill the world with. Same with weapon upgrades. Each tier requires 12 smithing stones, so that's 96 stones plus the Dragon one.
Gone is the feeling of discovery when you find a hidden nook of a map only for the loot there to be an Arterial Flower or some mushrooms.

Also, of all the Greatsword and only Claymore has the poke R2. Which means only the Claymore is worth using :(

More games should adopt Dragon’s Crown’s approach where you have an NPC thief/gatherer following you around, picking up stupid loot. Crafting sucks in general but at least an NPC doing the hunting and gathering would make the world feel more populated.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The whole 'miners bell bearings' also screams to me 'hey people hate going back to low level areas and farming low level stones to upgrade, we have to add a way to streamline it'.
Nobody likes farming.
Dark Souls 3 had the umbral ashes, they did the same thing as bell bearing, they were less of a pain to get access to because they were on a natural path of doing game completion instead of clearing out mindless chalice dungeons over a big open world.
In Dark Souls 2 you could buy the regular titanite upgrade path stuff up to chunks (+9 nearly maxed weapon) at the stone trader merchant, 10 in inventory for the chunks, infinite after killing nashandra, and you had bonfire ascetics which when used in a particular area (dragon aerie) allowed you to upgrade pretty much any weapon you'd ever want to try before you reached the end, did the DLC or start ng+.

DS1 was a mixed bag in that regards, you could upgrade a decent amount of weapons with the stones just lying around (but not to max, slabs were very rare) but would resort to farming drops if you've used them all.
Same for BB, except this time there's not a lot of weapons you'd want to upgrade and play around on the same character anyway, and many of the trick weapons felt like owning two weapons in one set.

DeS had, imho, the most cancerous implementation of upgrading. You could waste away hours of your life to get a pure bladestone, urk.

Olinser

Savant
Fellow Codexers, I come today to announce a most prestigious milestone.

One of my in-game messages has officially achieved 69 likes.

I could not have done it without every autistic fuck here.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A somewhat interesting video:

Once you're able to read enemies' moves, jumping is better than rolling at evading horizontal slashes and "stomp" attacks. Not only because you can immediately punish with a jump attack, but also because your lower body has almost double the i-frames.

SumDrunkGuy

There's a lot of lieing cunts in this thread. Straight up liars. Post videos of you taking down these bosses easily like you claim you do and show proof it's you doing it . I don't believe a single one of you faggots and I wont until you retards show proof.

SumDrunkGuy

Dark Souls 3 had the umbral ashes, they did the same thing as bell bearing, they were less of a pain to get access to because they were on a natural path of doing game completion instead of clearing out mindless chalice dungeons over a big open world

Of course they were easy to get. Dark Souls 3 was about as linear as a Call of Duty campaign. I remember one point where there was branching paths and that was it. Dark Souls 3 is never worth bringing up in these discussions. That was Fromsoft at peak laziness.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
[edit] welp, that ending thing was an april fool, I forgot what day it was today. Quite the high effort troll.

Of course they were easy to get. Dark Souls 3 was about as linear as a Call of Duty campaign. I remember one point where there was branching paths and that was it. Dark Souls 3 is never worth bringing up in these discussions. That was Fromsoft at peak laziness.

DS3 was railroaded, but it's possible to do quite a bit of late game content very early by triggering the dancer fight. Not something most people would stumble upon without being told it happens though.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
dragon in forum azula has two heads.
Marika talks about how radagon is not yet a god or her. I thought last ending would be us making them conjoin like dragon

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
There's a lot of lieing cunts in this thread. Straight up liars. Post videos of you taking down these bosses easily like you claim you do and show proof it's you doing it . I don't believe a single one of you faggots and I wont until you retards show proof.
What boss do you want? I'm in Leyndell right now, is Morgott okay?

Is a "lick my balls rusty" post-it enough as proof?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Allow me to quell your butthurt, friend! Enjoy some of the videos of my exploits! I even organized them into a playlist for your convenience. Follow along, and you too, can be adequate.

Andnjord

Arcane
Just reached Morgott boss and goddamn, the fucker has something like 80 Holy resist, just when I had upgraded the Coded Sword (pure Holy damage) to +10 :lol:

Time to make good use of all the Bell Bearing stone and find some nice weapon to put Fire damage on and find a fun ash of war for. That's definitely one thing I appreciate about Elden Ring, the ability to alter your build on the fly if not outright change it completely, it helps keep a run from getting stale.

EDIT: It's Maliketh, not Morgott.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Poise doesn't exist!! Elden Ring sucks! :negative::(:(:negative:

Like I was saying before, this is similar to how DS3 poise works where you have to pay attention to what you're using, what you're getting hit by, and breakpoints.

it works in pvp

Puukko

Arcane
I was playing some Atelier and came across a rather interesting ingredient.

image.png

Andnjord

Arcane
Just reached Morgott boss and goddamn, the fucker has something like 80 Holy resist, just when I had upgraded the Coded Sword (pure Holy damage) to +10 :lol:

Time to make good use of all the Bell Bearing stone and find some nice weapon to put Fire damage on and find a fun ash of war for. That's definitely one thing I appreciate about Elden Ring, the ability to alter your build on the fly if not outright change it completely, it helps keep a run from getting stale.

Soooooo, yeah, found two random Curved swords, put a flame scaling Ash of War on both of them (still unsure which ones to go for) and upgraded them to +24. Slap on Fire Scorpion Talisman, Golden Vow and Flame Grant me Strenght and you end up with this:
8sixkjR.png
:what:
It could probably be even higher if I hunted down some curved swords with better Faith scaling, the ones I'm using only have C scaling.
(I am wearing armour, with the bonus to physical defence from Golden Vow and the Dragon Crest Shield +2 the Damage Debuff form Fire Scorpion Talisman is negligible as you can see)

Best part about using Curved Swords is that the power-stanced jumped attack hits FOUR times per jump, combined with the Claw Talisman for bonus jump attack damage and I was hitting the dogs in Caelid for almost 4000 damage when connecting with the head or one shotting the giants in Liurnia. I could still add the Raptor's chest piece for moar Dakka.

No wonder FromSoft had to drastically up the difficulty of the bosses compared to previous titles if this is the kind of damage you can achieve without doing anything seriously cheesy.

....Morgott Maliketh... your ass is gonna be mine.

EDIT: Goddamn Andnjord, twice in a row?

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Best part about using Curved Swords is that the power-stanced jumped attack hits FOUR times per jump, combined with the Claw Talisman for bonus jump attack damage and I was hitting the dogs in Caelid for almost 4000 damage when connecting with the head or one shotting the giants in Liurnia. I could still add the Raptor's chest piece for moar Dakka.

No wonder FromSoft had to drastically up the difficulty of the bosses compared to previous titles if this is the kind of damage you can achieve without doing anything seriously cheesy.

....Morgott... your ass is gonna be mine.
Twinblades in power stance do the same thing and this is really good for status effect application. Cold in one hand, blood in the other, you can imagine what this could do to bosses. (it's actually better to have both than focus solely on bleed it has been found, the more often a status effect triggers, the more hits it takes to apply it again, and frostbite does a lot in improving your damage output).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Twinblades in power stance do the same thing and this is really good for status effect application. Cold in one hand, blood in the other, you can imagine what this could do to bosses. (it's actually better to have both than focus solely on bleed it has been found, the more often a status effect triggers, the more hits it takes to apply it again, and frostbite does a lot in improving your damage output).
Using both cold and blood is probably the best idea in most cases, but even with the increased resistance that enemies gain after two blood losses, so far I haven't found a single enemy that needs more than 2-3 jump attacks with power-stanced twinblades to take the blood loss damage (I'm using Eleonora's Poleblade and a blood Godskin Peeler).

Andnjord

Arcane

Hey, I did say "without doing anything seriously cheesy" ;)

That being said, I did notice I have an infusable curved sword that has natural Blood build-up on it. Now, if only I could find a second copy of it...

Nathir

Liturgist
And St Trina arrows that resemble lilies, and we have Miquella's Lily in the game I hope we get some more info in the DLC maybe we could visit his dream? And stuff it's weird that there is zero interaction with the cocoon

It's also weird that you can't tell Malenia about the Cocoon.

I really ike the world and the characters in ER, and the initial setup. But the standard From storytelling method of "kill everything you see" might not have been the best choice for this game.

Also, another thing that I didn't get. Why do all the regular soldiers/commoners look and move like undead from the previous Souls games? Are they actually undead in this world too, and how? Or do From just make low-tier enemies like that, because they are used to it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom