Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Puukko

Arcane
Mohg was one of those bosses where I got him down to 5-10% on my first try and thought this should be easy, then proceeded to bash my head against a wall for another dozen attempts.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
It's weird. Everyone said Mogh was hard as hell, but with my str build, using the sword of milos, I beat the hell out of him. The dude bled out like crazy actually.

Edit: I shudder at what you'll go through with Malenia.
The Lord of Blood is weak to bleed. I have the sword of Milos. Didn't think of trying that, but I did try to bleed him at first.

I used an uchigatana, keen scaled +20 but I didn't get blood loss on him. I tried blood scaling. Same result, less damage. I tried using Marika's scarseal to be able to cast bloodflame blade. I got one proc. Because of my lack of defenses I was just having to wait too long between attacks on most attempts. I tried swarm pots and swarm of flies. They did literally nothing. I think without an arc build and dragon communion seal these are terrible.

In the end I used electrify armament, golden vow for aura buff and boiled crab for body buff in phase one, flame protect me for body buff in phase 2. This and mastering phase 1 gave me the edge I needed to brute force phase 2 with reckless aggression.

And yeah Malenia is going to stall this run for a long time. I'm just hoping I have the fortitude to fight her a thousand times. Because I'll probably have to.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I won my first invasion, so that's cool. I made a level 32 +5 strength and faith build. I'm attacking with wild strikes on a bastard sword (cold affinity) and resetting the procs with flame of frenzy. Buffing with boiled prawn and physick (STR knot and crimsonburst).

Dude was doing a taunter's tongue run. He had a build too, using cross naginata and uchigatana. He was playing light, only wearing trousers. That cost him the fight. I had more soak with my altered banished knight chest, fire monk arms and legs and iron helmet. Even as a mixed build with only 25 vigor and running a soreseal I could tank way more than him. He ran out of flasks and I only drank one red.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So I wasn't paying attention when I fought the mimic tear.

Omen Set, +25 greatsword with barbaric roar infused with blood, turtle shield.

Mother fucker hit me once and took away 1/3 life at 55 vigor.

What a great fight

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I wasn't paying attention when I fought the mimic tear.

Omen Set, +25 greatsword with barbaric roar infused with blood, turtle shield.

Mother fucker hit me once and took away 1/3 life at 55 vigor.

What a great fight
I always like to fight Mimic with my proper build. Its awesome seeing how your build is from the other side, albeit played by a brainlet AI.

In my own game:

I've been invading all day at 32 +5. I killed my second shardbearer so I've got green turtle talisman now and I can function a lot better. Invasions are a mixed bag. 50% gank squads of high level phantoms, 20% hapless co-oppers who die to PVE before you can find them or get two shot by you. But the other 30% consists of absolute bros. Lone host taunter's tongue users. These guys come with insane builds, even at 32+5. They bow before and after they fight you. No bagging.

Discounting gank squads, I've won every invasion except 1. The guy I lost to was just better than me and had a better build. He was tankier (probably had vigor starting with a 4 or 5, mine starts with a 2) and he was using dual vulgar militia saws. It wasn't close. No just because his build was better, he was just outplaying me and hard to hit. Obviously very experienced.

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Little derail here: I'm not surprised that AC sold more copies than ER. AC is a game you can play with your kids (and I do, and it's fun, and super cheap way to give them "rewards" that are just in game items :D). Never underestimate the purchasing power of a big hug ;)

ferratilis

Magister
Those numbers are really impressive. But I'm more interested in what kind of influence ER will have on AAA industry, if any? If it means games will have less handholding, cutscenes, and better mechanics, then the influence of ER will be better than the game itself. But maybe that's just wishful thinking in this day and age.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've made it into the capital with my 32 +5 build. Getting past draconic tree sentinel wasn't as bad as I thought. He didn't one shot me. He almost did, but I got him second try. With a little help from Rotten Breath and Banished Knight Oleg. The only rules for this run are don't level my weapons above +5 and don't level above 32. I'm not even going to try to go much further. I just want that final talisman slot, all 12 flasks and an Iron Greatsword. Just. At 32 +5.

Edit: Got my talisman pouch and killed Morgott as well just to see if I could. I tried popping the Taunter's Tonge in his boss arena but nobody must be invading at the moment. I think its more active in the morning.

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
My NG+ is going well but I went thru almost everything my first playthrough. I can still have a "surprising" time if I'm not paying attention to the fight, but overall it's fairly simple. I think I've done everything in the lower lands (lakes, limgrave, caelid) and now just hitting the Altus Plateau. Doing the Volcano manor quests but won't do all of them, just enough to get a chunk of rewards.

I think the ending I'm going to go thru this time is the Blessing of Despair.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Those numbers are really impressive. But I'm more interested in what kind of influence ER will have on AAA industry, if any? If it means games will have less handholding, cutscenes, and better mechanics, then the influence of ER will be better than the game itself. But maybe that's just wishful thinking in this day and age.
It means "we haven't been making enough AAA open world games"

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Well my 32 +5 is basically complete. I made him over 3 days without getting anyone to drop me anything because I think that's lame. I have a nice collection of smithing stone weapons, good armor pieces at different weights for different weapons (banished knight, scaled, fire monk, kaiden, wandering noble), the bell bearing 1, all the whetblades, all 4 talisman slots, more spell slots that I ever use, most of the ashes I like and 14 +8 physick flasks (no need to upgrade more, that's a full heal for me).

I still need:

- Medicine Peddler's Bell Bearing
- Two Iron Greatswords
- Royal Knight's resolve

I'll resist the urge to tell war stories, but invasions are going well. I'd highly recommend 32 +5 to anyone wanting to learn the ropes of PVP, or anyone who just wants longer fights. The damage output is low, so even against people much more skilled you get to fight them for a while before your inevitable death. And lots of people aren't that skilled. You'll find your victims.

It doesn't take much to level your build you can have one up and running very quickly. There are lots of strong weapons, ashes and talismans that are easily accessible to low level characters as well, so you can just get those, no need to abuse item drops.

Caim

Arcane
I hope they take on the "pay once for a complete game" model that Elden Ring has.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I was impressed with this game world. If however I had to voice one complaint it would be the round table being the only place you could regularly interact with multiple NPCs.

I mean, I loved Volcano Manor precisely because it was a hive of scum and villainy I could talk with on the regular.

Now I 100% get that interacting with NPCs is not the point of this game, but still it was a high point.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So I got an iron sword finally from the leyndell drops. It didn't take that long really (4 rounds really, one after the other) but it was annoying because there really wasn't any nearby grace. It's actually... an impressive fucking weapon. I immediately buffed it to +24 and compared it to my Banished and Knights swords, and it dominates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom