Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

silphCo

Literate
Too many characters to care, and a game that should have been a fourth it's size.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
We know it's George Raymond Martin because
  1. There are a great many characters with names beginning with the letters 'G', 'R', and 'M'.
  2. Dung-Eater
Fortunately, he didn't have much else to do with Elden Ring. :M

Silva

Arcane
Milicent's quest is *chef's kiss*, and the
Haligtree
level where it's concluded conveys a fitting tone of sadness.

Now, we need to talk about Gowry. Dafuq this old man was plotting? Did he find the 4 girls infected in the swamp, or he took 4 healthy children and infected just to experiment rot flowering shenanigans on them?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Given that children don't seem to exist in Elden Ring, I'm assuming they sprang up out of the swamp. Also, I just realized what the DLC will be about: there's not currently an ending where you embrace the rot. Malenia, as the god of fucking swamps, is clearly intended to be the true ending. Miyazaki clearly had them cut the questline because it wasn't yet awesome enough to live up to his vision. In the DLC, we'll finally be able to turn the entire world into a swamp, creating a paradise for all time.

Barbarian

Arcane
Miquella's dreamworld and Miquella as a boss sounds plausible to me as the main dlc theme. Maybe a way to redeem Malenia within this but I'm not sure.

Godwyn as a boss is also a possibility but I figure the dlc title and promotional material would be about it. I mean he would be the "true" boss of the game.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Now, we need to talk about Gowry. Dafuq this old man was plotting? Did he find the 4 girls infected in the swamp, or he took 4 healthy children and infected just to experiment rot flowering shenanigans on them?
I think they are all clones of Malenia, and Gowry created them through dark magic out of the Aeonia swamp (which is the place where Malenia first "blossomed", and is also right above the underground lake of rot) to try and replace her as the "goddess of rot".

Barbarian

Arcane
There is also the *real* "god of blood" that is imprisoned underground right. I wonder if he will make an appearance in the dlc.

Silva

Arcane
Miquella's dreamworld and Miquella as a boss sounds plausible to me as the main dlc theme. Maybe a way to redeem Malenia within this but I'm not sure.

Godwyn as a boss is also a possibility but I figure the dlc title and promotional material would be about it. I mean he would be the "true" boss of the game.
There's also the Malenia is Night-Eyed Queen plot to be disclosed.

There is also the *real* "god of blood" that is imprisoned underground right. I wonder if he will make an appearance in the dlc.
You mean Mogh's Formless Mother. Where in the subterranean she lives? I couldn't precise this.

Btw, do the official guide show some timeline? I suspect there's a supoosed "hidden era" here with a bunch of drama, probably between the Dragons and Marika reign where the Eardtree was already in place but formless/with no set order, and where the Night-Eyed Queen was a contender but lost to Marika.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
There are the "real" "outer" "gods", like the Scarlet Rot or the Formless Mother (or the Dark Moon, or maybe Unalloyed Gold?), and then there are various "demigods" that are associated with them (Malenia, Mohg, Ranni, Miquella) and act as their avatars. Kind of. Possibly.

Also the Frenzied Flame which seeks out Tarnished to be its avatars, for some reason. And the Fell Flame of the snow giants. And the Death God which seems to have Godwyn's bloated corpse as its avatar. And, of course, the Greater Will + Erdtree + Marika + Radagon + Elden Beast + Two Fingers shebang.

Really, they should have called these "Powers" and "Principalities", or something of the sort.

Barbarian

Arcane

There's also the Malenia is Night-Eyed Queen plot to be disclosed.

You mean Melina? I think it is implied that she is the "Gloam-eyed queen" the lore talks about.

Btw, do the official guide show some timeline? I suspect there's a supoosed "hidden era" here with a bunch of drama, probably between the Dragons and Marika reign where the Eardtree was already in place but formless/with no set order, and where the Night-Eyed Queen was a contender but lost to Marika.

Yes, there is a short 10 page summary at page 502 of the first book called "world history". It somewhat details how the lands between originated from the "crucible"(primordial form of the erdtree), originally inhabited by intelligent beasts and dragons and was then invaded by the "visitors from beyond"(outer gods of sorts) including the so called "greater will".

This summary ommits a lot of stuff though, including said queen. There are fan-made timelines including her, the nox and the godskin but I'm not sure they are reliable.

Barbarian

Arcane
There are the "real" "outer" "gods", like the Scarlet Rot or the Formless Mother (or the Dark Moon, or maybe Unalloyed Gold?), and then there are various "demigods" that are associated with them (Malenia, Mohg, Ranni, Miquella) and act as their avatars. Kind of. Possibly.

Also the Frenzied Flame which seeks out Tarnished to be its avatars, for some reason. And the Fell Flame of the snow giants. And the Death God which seems to have Godwyn's bloated corpse as its avatar. And, of course, the Greater Will + Erdtree + Marika + Radagon + Elden Beast + Two Fingers shebang.

Really, they should have called these "Powers" and "Principalities", or something of the sort.

Are the "formless mother" and the "god of rot" different entities or just two names for the same outer god? In my head I had both as the same thing while playing the game.

I mean they are both blood deities and they are both banished/imprisoned underground. In the case of the latter specifically in the underground Ainsel river.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Are the "formless mother" and the "god of rot" different entities or just two names for the same outer god?
Miyazaki and GRRM are also wondering this.

But in-game they seem to be treated as two different things. E.g. the followers of "scarlet rot" are extremely dejected that their new "goddess/avatar" (Malenia) is rejecting her role, but they don't go over to Mohg and try to join his stupid dynasty. The ones who obsess over the "lord of blood" are a different group altogether (mostly white mask psychoes).

Also, scarlet rot and bleed are two different status effects in-game, and pretty much all of these outer gods are synonymous with ER's status effects and/or damage types I just realized. :lol: Except poison.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Dude, we won't get anything cool in the DLC. We'll get Myquella and that fish guy who's dead, kinda. Just like in Ringed City we got.....introduced to a new family member of Gwyn. The teams doing the DLCs at From Software are the most creatively retarded people on the planet. Plain and simple.

Nathir

Liturgist

Are the "formless mother" and the "god of rot" different entities or just two names for the same outer god? In my head I had both as the same thing while playing the game.

I mean they are both blood deities and they are both banished/imprisoned underground. In the case of the latter specifically in the underground Ainsel river.

Formless mother and god of rot are not connected at all. Formless mother is just another name for the goddes of blood. The one Mohg gets his powers from. Rot god is completely different.

Nathir

Liturgist
I think they are all clones of Malenia, and Gowry created them through dark magic out of the Aeonia swamp (which is the place where Malenia first "blossomed", and is also right above the underground lake of rot) to try and replace her as the "goddess of rot".

I think the sisters were created by Malenia. I think they literally "blossomed" out of the scarlet aeonia, and Gowry found them.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The teams doing the DLCs at From Software are the most creatively retarded people on the planet. Plain and simple.
The Dark Souls 2 DLCs and the Bloodborne DLC are some of the best stuff From Software has ever made. Also I don't think they have "teams" specifically dedicated to making their DLC content. They don't operate like Activision.

Caim

Arcane
The 25th (next Sunday) is the 2nd anniversary of Elden Ring, so it would make sense to release at least some info then. Last year we got the announcement for the DLC on that day, and it'd be fun if we got the actual release on that day.

Barbarian

Arcane
I don't think they will release the dlc out of the blue like that, though I wish it were the case.

Probably they will release trailer and info on the 25th of february and release it in april or may.

Caim

Arcane
With DS2 there was one month between the announcement and the release of The Sunken Crown, so that's a reasonable option. Plus, the 25th is a Sunday, and it would make a bit more sense if it released on a thursday or friday so people could get hyped and play it over the weekend instead on only part thereof.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
If in that report of theirs they said no announcement yet, they themselves have no idea. Yeah, sure maybe they'll post some screenshots or some new info. But no release date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom