Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Doktor Best

Arcane
Anybody able to tell me what exactly the armor perk does?

Elex

Arbiter
Ranged / Black Hole is the way to go if you are frustrated by the combat and want a certain amount of killability. Melee I think can be quite fun, though, in a way that only PB Melee can be.

Companions are overpowered godmode early game, then become useful distractions. They certainly shouldn't be any stronger - PB games are made for fighting alone, and I don't think it's fun or sensible to play them as charisma nerd with a band of muscle.

What is warm/cold in dialogue was really obvious from the get go, I'm not sure how anyone can find it confusing. The ending I can't comment on, as I've only seen the relatively warm ending.

Is it a special Redeemer feature to have the ball shot do knockdowns or is that for all plasma weapons? Makes Ranged even better, really. Mixing it up with laser, plasma and black hole makes you able to take on almost every situation.
crossbow also have knockback ammo grenades and missile laucher too

but plasma and flamers are better because more versatile and relatively cheap ammo.

fuel is too cheap in elex but i guess this is what happen when people switch to a different energy resource.

Like Risen 2.
elex 2: space pirate

still better than risen 2
The switch to a full pirate.themed setting in Risen 2 is the last thing I would complain about.
In fact, it's pretty much the only change in the sequel that I would consider as a net improvement.

Anybody able to tell me what exactly the armor perk does?
It literally adds a certain amount of armor to your character (I think it should be something like +10 armor for skill level).
What's confusing about it?

Tigranes

Arcane
I think Extra HP is better bang for buck as it adds more numbers. Armour is just straight off damage reduction I believe.

Honestly there's way too much knockback/down in Elex, you can't do without it and you get so much win with it

bataille

Arcane
Extra HP is a one-time +10 HP bonus; the tooltip is misleading.
Armour is +5 per skill level.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VzVvhk.jpg

83 str required :negative:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Janky combat aside, I am loving this game. Just joined the zerkers after 30-odd hours and am taking revenge on some of local fauna that I ran from previously. Looks like shields are a trap, as 1H combo just destroys stuff if you can get it off, compared to the shield knockdown that's about as damaging as sneezing on someone. Zerker fireball does a decent DoT and the armour has made a significant difference.

They've really nailed the feel of gradually getting stronger, it's taking me right back to Gothic 2 feels. Just when I thought I was king of the castle, bumped into a group of Reavers with a rocket launcher support that taught me I wasn't quite top of the food chain yet.

RPGOTY for me so far, no doubt.

I think Extra HP is better bang for buck as it adds more numbers. Armour is just straight off damage reduction I believe.

Honestly there's way too much knockback/down in Elex, you can't do without it and you get so much win with it
Going with what redditors said about the numbers behind the curtain, it's the exact opposite.
Armor increase is relevant (+10 and +20 armor make A LOT of difference in your ability to take hits).
HP increase is negligible (a flat + 10 and +20 HP make hardly any difference by the end of the game).

Looks like shields are a trap, as 1H combo just destroys stuff if you can get it off, compared to the shield knockdown that's about as damaging as sneezing on someone.
Shields don't increase your DPS, sure.
But they make you able to tank pretty much anything in a 1 on 1 confrontation, as they can absorb 100% damage even when you are out of stamina (which is bullshit and exploitable as hell, to be honest).

For the record, don't waste your time and ELEX upgrading Plasma rifles or shotguns.
There are two unique weapons in the game, respectively the Redeemer and the Thunderclap, which are stronger than a tier 3 upgrade of the former, while having lower stat requirements.

I wonder if there's anything even stronger that I didn't find.

Tygrende

Arbiter
VzVvhk.jpg

83 str required :negative:
Laser rifles are shitty anyways. 3-shot burst and full-auto modes have damage penalties that make them wholly inferior to single shot mode. Really disappointing.

On "Difficult" difficulty, with a Laser Rifle III, it takes 35 shots to kill a mountain troll with single shots, 95 shots with 3-shot bursts, ~400 with full-auto. Plasma Rifle III on the other hand needs 29 shots, Redeemer with a medium red gem needs 24.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is it a special Redeemer feature to have the ball shot do knockdowns or is that for all plasma weapons? Makes Ranged even better, really. Mixing it up with laser, plasma and black hole makes you able to take on almost every situation.
5 per ammo means every rifle that uses that ammo can do that. Or EMP. Flamethrower has 1 per ammo and can knock down as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Laser rifles are shitty anyways. 3-shot burst and full-auto modes have damage penalties that make them wholly inferior to single shot mode. Really disappointing.

It really :makes u think: that the lazer fire modes differ in multiple ways (damage per hit and recoil) while the same is not true for plasma single and explosive shots :M

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, maybe it's a bug/oversight that plasma AoE only needs 1 ammo. It's by far the most potent attack in the game when you have the unique plasma weapon. And it doesn't even have a slower rate of fire.

Grimlorn

Arcane
What I didn't like was how ridiculous the warm/neutral/cold system was. For some reason being an asshole will reward you with a decrease in cold and doing often the decent thing will increase your cold.

Apparently you don’t understand what cold means in Elex. It is NOT karma. Good does not equal warm, evil does not equal cold. Cold just means logical, warm just means emotional. It’s literally what the words mean when you use them in the sense of a personality. Not that complicated, unless you were playing Elex like it was a Bioware game.

So obviously being an asshole decreases your cold. Being an asshole is an emotional response. For example, if I berated you for being a moron, that would make me LESS cold because it’s driven by my feelings of frustration that someone could be so slow on the uptake.

Doing the “decent thing” can also increase your cold if the “decent thing” is also the passionless and rational thing. Really straightforward.
You can say this is what happens all day long but it's not true in practice. You don't always know whether Jax will be emotional or rational when choosing words to speak. You don't always know the consequences of your choice either. You can be a emotional and good or evil, and rational good or evil, but this isn't really made clear at all in many of the quests.

The quest with Hakon is a perfect example. It's irrational not to try to ally with the Separatists. They are looking to ally, yet Hakon wants them killed because he hates all Albs. Giving Hakon the locations of the Separatists so he can kill them increases your cold, while lying to Hakon about their whereabouts decreases it. There's several examples of stuff like this happening and I think it's only so you can be a good guy, doing nice guy things and not have your Cold increase so much you're locked into the Cold ending.

Maybe it's different in the German version as well. More clearer. For all we know the company who translated it screwed it up.

Grimlorn

Arcane
For the record, don't waste your time and ELEX upgrading Plasma rifles or shotguns.
There are two unique weapons in the game, respectively the Redeemer and the Thunderclap, which are stronger than a tier 3 upgrade of the former, while having lower stat requirements.

I wonder if there's anything even stronger that I didn't find.
No a double barrel shotgun tier 3 does more damage than Thunderclap. I don't remember stat requirements. It's only a few points in damage. Scrap shotgun is weaker.

The strongest range weapon in game is Tier 3 War Bow at 120 damage. LOL

Yeah, maybe it's a bug/oversight that plasma AoE only needs 1 ammo. It's by far the most potent attack in the game when you have the unique plasma weapon. And it doesn't even have a slower rate of fire.
EMP can have its uses as well, especially against big mechs.

On a side note, maybe I should have experimented more, but... is there any PSI power aside Black hole and "One with your weapon" with any practical use?

No a double barrel shotgun tier 3 does more damage than Thunderclap. I don't remember stat requirements. It's only a few points in damage. Scrap shotgun is weaker.

The strongest range weapon in game is Tier 3 War Bow at 120 damage. LOL
I checked before making that post and a full upgraded Plasma rifle was like 90-something damage against a 100 damage Redeemer. The difference in stat requirements was also significant. Something like 65-65 for the redeemer and 80+-65 for the Plasma tier II.
EDIT- Nevermind, just double-checked.
While it's true that the redeemer has higher damage (and can socked a gem) while Plasma Rifle 3 can't, stat requirements are different but overall non that wide.
Redeemer is 100 damage for 65dex-65int, while Plasma III is 97 damage for 74dex-52int. So it's more about what build you are aiming for than anything else.

Last edited:
On a side note, maybe I should have experimented more, but... is there any PSI power aside Black hole and "One with your weapon" with any practical use?
The Last Stand is literal immortality. The armor bonus spell is also pretty useful for obvious reasons.
What about the alternate fire modes for your PSI hand-thing (thrower)?
I didn't test them extensively but they felt virtually useless compared to black hole when I tried them.

imweasel

Not really. They are excellent against bots and squishy enemies with low armor. Bots also drop tons of energy cells for laser rifles, so you will never have to buy any ammo.

On "Difficult" difficulty, with a Laser Rifle III, it takes 35 shots to kill a mountain troll with single shots [...] Plasma Rifle III on the other hand needs 29 shots, Redeemer with a medium red gem needs 24.
Um, that really isn't a very big difference. Even more so seeing that you will have a shit ton of energy cells by late game.

(BTW, Trolls and Cyclopses are easiest to take down with melee weapons. The game doesn't show you any numbers, but I believe that melee weapons have high armor penetration.)

Raapys

Arcane
The problem with LastStand and armor is that they are rendered useless if you have plasma weapon or black hole, since either of those prevent the enemy from even reaching you(or in the case of ranged enemies, prevents them from shooting).

I tried all the PSI spells, but even at max PSI power they are completely useless. Stuff like the Hold person thing might have been decent, but again it's rendered useless by all the AoE attacks you have access to.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I didn't like was how ridiculous the warm/neutral/cold system was. For some reason being an asshole will reward you with a decrease in cold and doing often the decent thing will increase your cold.

Apparently you don’t understand what cold means in Elex. It is NOT karma. Good does not equal warm, evil does not equal cold. Cold just means logical, warm just means emotional. It’s literally what the words mean when you use them in the sense of a personality. Not that complicated, unless you were playing Elex like it was a Bioware game.

So obviously being an asshole decreases your cold. Being an asshole is an emotional response. For example, if I berated you for being a moron, that would make me LESS cold because it’s driven by my feelings of frustration that someone could be so slow on the uptake.

Doing the “decent thing” can also increase your cold if the “decent thing” is also the passionless and rational thing. Really straightforward.
You can say this is what happens all day long but it's not true in practice. You don't always know whether Jax will be emotional or rational when choosing words to speak. You don't always know the consequences of your choice either. You can be a emotional and good or evil, and rational good or evil, but this isn't really made clear at all in many of the quests.

The quest with Hakon is a perfect example. It's irrational not to try to ally with the Separatists. They are looking to ally, yet Hakon wants them killed because he hates all Albs. Giving Hakon the locations of the Separatists so he can kill them increases your cold, while lying to Hakon about their whereabouts decreases it. There's several examples of stuff like this happening and I think it's only so you can be a good guy, doing nice guy things and not have your Cold increase so much you're locked into the Cold ending.

Maybe it's different in the German version as well. More clearer. For all we know the company who translated it screwed it up.

I disagree on Hakon—you don’t always know the consequences in terms of what NPCs will do, but you can certainly figure out the warm/cold consequences for your character. If you tell him the truth about the Albs, thinking that he’s being honest when he says he’ll talk to them, then you’re either a robot with no understanding of human emotion or you’re indifferent to their deaths—both obviously cold. If you lie to him to save their lives, that decreases cold because it both requires Jax to read Hakon’s feelings correctly and to care about whether the separatists live or die.

But I agree that there are definitely moments where the English translation seems to confuse the issue. Although at least in the endgame, the dialogue choices are usually laid out warm/neutral/cold from top to bottom.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Not really. They are excellent against bots and squishy enemies with low armor. Bots also drop tons of energy cells for laser rifles, so you will never have to buy any ammo.
Plasma rifle's EMP shot keeps robots and mutants frozen in place. Buying ammo is hardly an issue.

That really isn't a very big difference, seeing that you will have a shit ton of energy cells by late game even more so.
You conveniently ignored how many shots were needed with the 3-shot burst and full-auto. 35 vs. 95 vs. 400 shots is a big difference.

Those two modes are everything laser rifle has going on for it. The point is that if you ignore the vastly inferior burst and full-auto modes, the laser rifle is basically a plasma rifle with no AoE knockdown and robot/mutant paralysis. Yeah you will save some pennies on ammo I guess, but that's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom