Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Better burst damage beats saving ammo every day.
On the other hand the Mortal Beam could probably move things in favor of laser weapons... Then again, with very high stat requirements and still no knockback.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No a double barrel shotgun tier 3 does more damage than Thunderclap. I don't remember stat requirements. It's only a few points in damage. Scrap shotgun is weaker.

The strongest range weapon in game is Tier 3 War Bow at 120 damage. LOL

Dude, it takes tons of mana to upgrade that war bow, which means it’s a MAGIC BOW. I think that makes it marginally less ridiculous.

Plus, pretty sure the bow has a slower rate of fire so in DPS terms it’s probably weaker than or equivalent to the guns.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Plus, pretty sure the bow has a slower rate of fire so in DPS terms it’s probably weaker than or equivalent to the guns.
If you have Scattershot, you can stand right next to the enemy and hit him with all the arrows at the same time. I'm pretty sure bows have in fact the best sheer DPS in the entire game.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Better burst damage beats saving ammo every day.
On the other hand the Mortal Beam could probably move things in favor of laser weapons... Then again, with very high stat requirements and still no knockback.

Who needs knockback when you can kill nearly everything with the death ray (I refuse to call it the mortal beam—translator should get fifty lashes for that) before it even comes close to you? The only time I need to pull out the redeemer or the flamethrower is to take out trolls or that really tough cyclops by the Tavar lighthouse.

As an aside, for melee I just switched from a tier 3 sword and shield to the tier 3 double-headed hammer, and I’m really enjoying two handers now that I have a full suit of Regent armor to protect me when I occasionally screw up and leave myself open. It’s like mutant polo.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
If you have Scattershot, you can stand right next to the enemy and hit him with all the arrows at the same time. I'm pretty sure bows have in fact the best sheer DPS in the entire game.

Damn, I should’ve been a Berserker. Fucking magic.

imweasel

Not really. They are excellent against bots and squishy enemies with low armor. Bots also drop tons of energy cells for laser rifles, so you will never have to buy any ammo.
Plasma rifle's EMP shot keeps robots and mutants frozen in place. Buying ammo is hardly an issue.
The Redeemer (plasma rifle) is the best gun in the game, but every single shot will cost you about five Elexit. The laser rifle III does nearly as much damage and effectively costs nothing per shot. E.g. taking down a troll with a plasma rifle would effectively cost the player about 150 Elexit, with a laser rifle it would effectively cost absolutely nothing and the troll would go down nearly as fast.

Every gun has its pro and cons and you are conveniently ignoring that. That said, the laser rifle is far from being shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
VzVvhk.jpg

83 str required :negative:
Redeemer is superior and only require Int/Dex. It is also trivial to acquire.

Edit: imweasel you fucking ninja!

Kahr

Not really. They are excellent against bots and squishy enemies with low armor. Bots also drop tons of energy cells for laser rifles, so you will never have to buy any ammo.
Plasma rifle's EMP shot keeps robots and mutants frozen in place. Buying ammo is hardly an issue.
The Redeemer (plasma rifle) is the best gun in the game, but every single shot will cost you about five Elexit. The laser rifle III does nearly as much damage and effectively costs nothing per shot. E.g. taking down a troll with a plasma rifle would effectively cost the player about 150 Elexit, with a laser rifle it would effectively cost absolutely nothing and the troll would go down nearly as fast.

Every gun has its pro and cons and you are conveniently ignoring that. That said, the laser rifle is far from being shit.
I found it especially annoying if you compare shotguns with laser weapons.
There was no argument in staying with the shotgun as outlaw as every enemy in this game drops energy cells while nobody does drop shells.
At one point i had 4000 energy cells without ever buying any.
But with those stupid shotgun shells you can only buy 20 at a time!:argh:

PrettyDeadman

The Mortal Beam is probably superior since it has higher damage and much higher clip (23). And it uses energy cells which is more common than plasma cells.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TL;DR: OpenCritic says 59, what's the deal with this game? Is it good or is it trash?
It's not on par with Gothic 1 and 2. I'd put it at the same level as Risen, probably. Both games do different things well. In my opinion, it is worth playing. My GOTY, but I haven't really played many 2017 rpgs.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
TL;DR: OpenCritic says 59, what's the deal with this game? Is it good or is it trash?
Not as absolutely horrid as I initially thought, but far below what some people meme it to be. Some parts of it is absolutely awful, while some minute parts of it are genuinely great.

Overall 5/10, but well worth playing because of those few parts that it did well needs doing more often.

imweasel

It is very gud. I'd give it :5/5::4/5:

Many "critics" are overwhelmed by the game and can't seem to figure out how to play it. They are expecting everything to simply fall over when they swing their sword at it. I guess PB made the mistake of not making easy mode retard-proof.

Morkar Left

Most negative critics are console mags...
Metacritic is 71%, Steam users reviews 73% (a lot better than the latest CoD with double amount of reviews), gog is 4,5 stars.

The game is great. It has some technical weaknesses and balancing could be better in some details but exploration and quests are superior to everything released in the last years. The game is a mix between G1/G2 and G3.

Incantatar

Cipher
I hate casual rpgs as much as the next codexer but the save scumminess expected in this game is through the roof. That really fucks with my immersiun. Anyone played early and midgame and didn't reload constantly?

Incantatar

Cipher
Of course expected. They test played the game or didn't they? My play experience could be completely out of touch but I don't think so.

gestalt11

Arbiter

Fuck critics the pro are pieces of shit and the user reviewes are so filled with dumbassery that an average is almost never representitive of anything more than popularity, not gameplay. Its scienceFantasy Gothic. Its has most all the pros and cons of Gothic1/2. If you liked those games play it. If Gothic combat felt clunky and unfun to you don't play it. As a very general statement; it is, depending on taste, the best 2nd best or 3rd best PB game. If you like scifi you will probably like it the most, most PB fans probably like gothic 2 more but think Elex is close behind.

"Critics" care just about production value.
Give them the dullest, most shallow RPG in existence with great graphics, witty banters and shiny cinematics and they will always shower it in positive reviews.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Considering you can die instantly by just walking off a ledge that is slightly too high, no. It's not remotely mechanically tight enough to be enjoyed with limited saves.
Are you seriously complaining about fall damage in a game with a jetpack?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Of course expected. They test played the game or didn't they? My play experience could be completely out of touch but I don't think so.

save scumming is only 'expected' if you decide to whack molochs with a rusty axe, i.e. if you're too autistic to run away from stuff that is too stronk

if you want to see a game that REALLY expects save scumming from the player, play wizardry 6

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom