Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by Raapys, Oct 17, 2017.

1. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    They increase cold. Something like 0.1 points per ELEX drink.

^ Top  
  2. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Yeah, but effect is so miniscule that I was pure emotional at the endgame after drinking 60+ of them.

I understand Roxor now I think. I think someone's

fallen

in

looooove

I mean, nearly 40 hours and he JUST joined faction. He probably cleared every corner of the map on the level of mapping every mine in Morrowind.

^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Fwiw I mostly avoid the elex potions out of sheer contrariness and curiosity to see how my "natural" stats will look at the end of the game for some comparison purposes. This is mostly Reviewing Instinct (tm) kicking in.

Equalling not using quest compass in a game that doesn't need it to larping, though, that's some heavy shit nigga.

^ Top  
  4. Tygrende Learned

Tygrende
    Monsters are not hand-placed, they are chosen randomly from a list.

You can check this by yourself- save the game in a place with no enemies in sight, run around the world, note the enemy placement, reload the game, repeat. Enemies will be different, a mass rat might be replaced with a raptor or even a mountain troll.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    no shit, i've made this same observation probably like 100 pages ago

raptors won't be replaced by mountain trolls though, they are clearly spawned from lists not a list

^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I just move on if I see stuff I can't handle. Sometimes I never end up coming back to it. Doesn't really bother me.

The troll placement in Edan and Valley are often good, but Ignadon in general is a kind of clusterfuck

Almost zero chance that a mass rat is replaced with a troll. Somebody's going to notice a massive fucking troll sitting on the beginner road to Edan or in the middle of the highway or something. And all Edan trolls have been exactly identical in my two saves.

^ Top  
  7. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This is plain heresy. Not letting your throat feel the delight of Elex potions is a disgrace. ELEXhu akbar.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tygrende Learned

Tygrende
    I tested this 10 times outside Origin. 3 mass rats, 4 raptor pack leaders, 2 biters, 1 mountain troll. Most likely scales with level.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    C'mon you could imagine they wanted to hide themselves from hoth, thus they would be in area of hoth, but in complelly shitty inaccessible place in middle of monsters, near road. Considering there are about only 4 places that can fit that description, you could totally find them without map. Also you'd need level 25 anyway for promotion. So why hurry, these monsters are completely pain in the ass for level 18.

^ Top  
  10. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    PLAY ON FUCKING EASY, AND DON'T EVEN DARE TO CLIMB THAT HILL TO APPROACH THAT CHICKEN UP HILL IN THE STARTING AREA.

On normal you have 30 percent of survival. That chicken somehow typically lucks out and hurt you bad.

^ Top  
  11. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hey guys I just reached level 17 and I still really love this game but I don't really have anything articulate or eloquent to add right now. I like the PSI powers. I like the cleric gear. I like stealing things. And honestly this is probably the best open-world RPG that's come out since whatever or whenever. This is basically the sort of game I wanted FO3 to be and knew it wouldn't but also didn't really know I wanted because I never really thought about: Jetpacks.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    I have made different observations. Most enemies appear to be hand placed and only some are randomized. Respawns however are usually randomized, but they have similar levels as the despawns.

Reavers and trolls don't appear to respawn at all, but I have seen the latter spawn out of nowhere near teleporters later in the game.

^ Top  
  13. GloomFrost Arbiter

GloomFrost
    Yep. So many quests have similar descriptions. I m surprised you lasted 40 hours, i had to start using "quest compass" in Tavar for lawless quests.

^ Top  
  14. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    you must have missed levitation in morrowind. no biggy. bethesda also forgot it was a thing with all other games they made.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Btw, after I beat the game

Show Spoiler
    I killed all faction leaders because they attacked me. I was thinking of wiping everything out, but it would have been too time consuming.

^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    The people that bitch and whine about POE cave bear, can you imagine fighting the chicken

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    ^ Top  
  18. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Finished it yesterday. It is nowhere near Gothic 1 but it at least feels like a game made by the people who made Gothic, which is saying a lot. As far as designing an open world in RPGs go, the Gothic mold is the standard that other games should aspire to, and try to improve upon. The world of Elex is far bigger, certainly, but this ends up being detrimental in many ways.

Exploration in itself in Elex is joyful; seeing a location in the distance and making your way towards it, getting sidetracked on the way there by another cave or ruin. The designers did a very good job of naturally crafting locations into landmarks, and I was feeling drawn towards a tower on top of a hill or a sprawling ruin on the horizon. There is no shortage of hidden corners to Magalan, either, with some very cleverly hidden locations.

The problem is that what you find in these locations is always paltry and unsatisfying. Exploration in Gothic always felt worth it because whatever you found could prove useful, even if it was only a healing potion and some scrolls. Let alone when you brought down a troll or another large monster and found a stash of permanent stat raising potions, powerful spells or a unique weapon.This was in large part simply because the world was small enough that every part of it felt significant, you were very rarely running across the exact same kind of location twice. Not only that but because the distribution of items was carefully balanced, you never felt inundated with certain objects to the point where you get sick of even having to pick them up. However in Elex what you find in most locations, even those most out of the way and carefully hidden locations, is a box of cigarettes and some old world money, and if you do find potions or chems they feel absolutely unnecessary because by then you have found so many in just about every location--not to mention they are so cheap to buy and make. By the end it going into the realm of mmos where you are building up these immense stores of crafting materials and junk items that seem to be flooding the world. At a certain point I was simply ignoring most items on the ground because I couldn't be bothered to pick them up, and this is in a supposedly apocalyptic world where resources are vital and scavengers kill each other over scraps.

Anyway a fine game. It very easily could have been a great game with some minor alterations. They could improve the sequel by cutting back on the size of the world by about 30% and instead spend that time on fine tuning the design of the individual locations.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    At last people realise that the world building is total ass. The random placements and the empty locations filled with nothing but sulfur nuggets and toilet paper rolls really seem to piss a lot of people on steam and as it should, I mean coming from Gothic and Risen where every corner of the map had something interesting to find, you get Elex where you spend most of your time hoping that something interesting would be in the next location, but niet , it's the same old toilet paper roll and mugs. And I feel the need to say it again, if you cut this game in half you wouldn't even realise it's missing, that's what you get when you try to appeal to the Skyrim crowd, an empty vapid experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Shit Shit x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Show Spoiler
    Torvald ran up to me and attacked me outside the Ice Palace. Ragnar attacked me in Goliet. I had the entire village after me, and I was exiled. All Berserkers hated their own Paladin. But I felt like it was better to just get out. He was the only one who wouldn't stop following me, so I ended up killing him. Logan, didn't attack me, btw, neither did William. I went to the Outlaws. They just said that no one could push them around. I was attacked at the cathedral in Hort and had to kill like 10 clerics before I teleported away. The game told me that someone had witnessed me committing a murder. Game, it was a freaking massacre. Origin, some were displeased, but no one attacked me. Killed Zardom, too. Unfortunately, this wasn't mentioned in the ending slides (me killing them). It just said the Berserkers had exiled me. I don't think you're supposed to kill the leaders and just run away.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. GloomFrost Arbiter

GloomFrost
    They did not try to appeal to skyrim crowd. One chicken at the very beginning could easily kill you, one wrong dialogue option could get you killed. This is very opposite of what skyrim crowd likes. PB just didnt have enough time/money (As always with PB) to add more content and make world more lively. One big expansion pack like NOTR could solve all the problems you mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grimlorn Filthy Kalinite

Grimlorn
    I Have Disgusting Opinions
    Show Spoiler
    In the Cold ending I had both the Berserkers and Clerics turn on me. I wiped out the entire cities but nameless NPCs would still respawn and walk around. What's strange is when Bounty Hunters for Berserkers would show up outside of cities. It didn't seem to matter all the Berserker leaders were dead. There was also one NPC, a shopkeeper I think in all cases, that would only get stunned. There was no way to kill them permanently, not sure why. There would be Alb forces outside Goliat, but no way to interact with them to lead them into the city to take it over. They would just attack you on sight, even though the Hybrid is basically serving you now. I'm assuming that was a quest they never finished. The ending slides don't acknowledge any of the deaths of the leaders of the factions. In neutral ending, Nasty doesn't seem to care about killing her brother or cousin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    Here it's not total ass, it's just obvious that it was emphasized heavier than other aspects. Gothic 1 & 2 pretty much nailed the perfect balance of world building+everything else.

I think PB were trying to overcome Gothic 3's lingering failure here. Making a seamless world on a massive scale that actually works, is probably one goal that has nagged them too long.

Sequels are always better anyway. Forza Elex II!

^ Top  
  24. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Cipher

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Like Risen 2.

Aaanyway, I finished the game yesterday. I don't even remember the last time I was this conflicted about loving and hating a game so much at the same time.
    There are things ELEX does exceptionally well, but for each one of them there are others it does awfully bad.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with it very much, but I could spend two hours straight bitching about everything that sucks beyond belief.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    R2&3 we know were castrated by publisher conflict, including specific demands for certain game features publishers made & PB's own wish to just make them ASAP and finish the contract.

There's reasons to be more positive about an Elex 2, though sadly, I doubt the gameworld will get any smaller; that's the number one thing retards whine about like clockwork.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.