Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i'll ask again whether this game is "good" but i'm gonna phrase it thusly:

i currently have 52 gigs of free HDD space and 20-25 of those are reserved... is ELEX worth using up my other gigs of free space?

No aweigh.
THis Elex hype is codex trolling meme bandwagon.

The combat is absolute shit. The hitboxes are like 10 times fatter than you.

The UI is shittier than the generic pay2win korean MMO. Inventory management is a nightmare

when you change areas, the lens flare/bloom whatever is pure eye rape.

Questing is broken; you tend to complete quests out of nowhere when you initiate dialogue for example.

The only saving grace is exploration; but everything else in the game from the clunky console controls to amateur hitboxes to phoned in UI is definitely not worth it.

Have you actually played it? Because it sounds like you’re just parroting the haters from further up this thread or maybe just watched some negative twitch videos.

I feel like the extended period of Elex meme bullshit on this site ended up doing the actual game a great disservice (although to be fair, who could predict it would turn out to be good?). Elex has plenty of flaws, but it also has a ton of redeeming qualities. I think the good outweighs the bad and as long as you approach the game with an ounce of thought, it’s downright addictive.

My point by point refutation:

Combat gets fun when you learn it, which really doesn’t take that long. The autolock sucks, but turn it off and the experience is vastly improved. Most of the hate here come from people trying to play Elex like Dark Souls when they should really be approaching it like any other PB title.

The hitboxes aren’t great, but again once you get a feel for the combat it’s not much of a problem. It can make for egregious looking videos, but once you realize what will hit you and what won’t it stops having much impact on gameplay. There were not many occasions in the Elex where I felt like it was ridiculous that I’d just been hit.

The inventory system may be suboptimal, but that only matters when you’re selling stuff. For everything else it’s adequate. Then again I hate playing inventory Tetris, and I don’t consider the character/inventory system to be a particularly important part of the game. I know the asperger’s crowd will disagree, but I’ll never see eye to eye with them anyway (because they find eye contact uncomfortable—get it!?).

You can turn off the lens flare when leaving a building. Personally, I like how it mimics reality, and even if you don’t like it, it’s still better than a game with a zillion loading screens.

Some quests can be broken, in that you’ve already completed the objective before you get the quest, but they end up being pretty few and far between and frankly it happens in all RPGs. Only difference with Elex is that the game rewards you with EXP too soon in these situations. Big fucking deal.

My pros? Elex thrives as a role playing game. You have to put some actual thought into conversations because NPCs lie and/or try to take advantage of you constantly. Maybe I’m a consequential dialogue fag because tactical conversation is one of my favorite aspects of a good RPG.

And Elex has excellent choice and consequence, with long-term reverberations from your choices that play out many hours further into the game. Lots of great unintended consequences, both for your character and for the world. IMO the fact that your choices over the course of the whole game affect the options you’re given at the end represents a smart kind of character creation. You may not be able to customize how Jax looks, but over the course of the game you get to define his character and that actually has story and even gameplay implications. A cold blooded Jax can be better with guns, a hot blooded Jax is better with magic, and a balanced Jax can be better at melee. What your character does defines who they are, not just how NPCs react to them—we don’t see this often enough.

The characters are generally pretty dark and realistic. Most companions are fairly compelling or entertaining (even the very cliche Nasty has some great color commentary while exploring the game world). The factions are appropriately loathsome and faction choice affects gameplay.

As others have said before, Elex is a diamond in the rough. That still makes it a diamond, though. It’s easy to nitpick because PB is a small studio that tried to do something very ambitious with a limited budget. It’s not perfect. But taken as a whole, it’s very good game that’s well worth playing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, speaking of tactical dialogue:

There are a few moments in the game where NPCs use some sort of persuasion/suggestion on you (or at least I think so? It's always accompanied by a sudden flash of light and Jacques bumbling like in idiot. Examples include Nasty saying she's clean when you send her to the clerics or Konrad saying everything will be fine when you ask him about the endgame of the big bang) - can these things be resisted somehow and, if so, does it change anything in any major way?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The only thing that truly sucks about ELEX is the combat, and it's not even the worst combat system PB has done (Gothic 3 is still holder of that title, unless Risen 2 and/or 3 managed to be even worse). I wish they would've stuck with Risen 1 combat because that was pretty good as far as nu-PB combat, that I'm familiar with, goes. I'd say that Risen 1 combat is maybe on par with G1 & 2, although with different pros and cons. I just miss the evolving combat system that comes from upgrading your fighting skills.

Zlaja

Arcane
I feel like the extended period of Elex meme bullshit on this site ended up doing the actual game a great disservice

trumpTaxCut.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only thing that truly sucks about ELEX is the combat, and it's not even the worst combat system PB has done (Gothic 3 is still holder of that title, unless Risen 2 and/or 3 managed to be even worse). I wish they would've stuck with Risen 1 combat because that was pretty good as far as nu-PB combat, that I'm familiar with, goes. I'd say that Risen 1 combat is maybe on par with G1 & 2, although with different pros and cons. I just miss the evolving combat system that comes from upgrading your fighting skills.

I wouldn't say that combat "truly sucks" in Elex. It's not great, sure. But it's also not that bad when compared with other open world action crpgs. It's miles better and more interesting then any Elder Scrolls combat for example (well, maybe except stealth). And I think also better then the Witchers. Only when you compare it with something like Dragon's Dogma, then it really can't hold up (but the open world, questing and dialogues are infinitely better in Elex).

I was not a huge fan of the Risen combat. Sure, it was a more elaborate system... but more suited for twitch players with timed clicks, parries, different special moves and whatnot.
However I did love the elegant simplicity of Gothic 2 combat - and the evolving animations+combos you brought up.
In a way, Elex is a continuation of that. Sadly no changing animations, but combos increase damage and charge a special move... while your beginner Stamina hardly lets you chain any attacks. Plus you get way more weapons/combat styles/special powers. Only it's poorly balanced and tends to turn into a chaotic mob clusterfuck way too often.

T. Reich

Arcane
Personally, I don't think I've experienced the melee hitbox inconsistencies at all.
Whenever I'm hit, I can often see that the enemy's attack connected with my character.
Similarly, I don't really see that I can hit enemies when visually I'm "hitting air". Though, with 2h swords, there are some borderline cases.

Now, I'm not satisfied with how hitboxes are treated for ranged combat.
It's really aggravating that you can only hit in the first place if your targeting reticle is coloured red, and it's extremely easy to miss just by moving the cursor a little.
It's compounded by the fact that if an enemy moves out of the projectile's way just a tiny bit, you're likely to miss even if you aimed right.
Given that all projectiles in Elex move pretty damn slow, it makes for a very frustrating ranged combat (aoe projectiles aside; we're not discussing cheat mode here).
I suppose that it serves like a balancing act of sorts, because ranged combat in G1+G2 (and in R1 to a lesser extent) was an easy way to cheese combat in those games - aiming was easier, arrows flew faster, maximum firing range was higher.

Tygrende

Arbiter

There are a few moments in the game where NPCs use some sort of persuasion/suggestion on you (or at least I think so? It's always accompanied by a sudden flash of light and Jacques bumbling like in idiot. Examples include Nasty saying she's clean when you send her to the clerics or Konrad saying everything will be fine when you ask him about the endgame of the big bang) - can these things be resisted somehow and, if so, does it change anything in any major way?
It's not persuasion or suggestion. Can't be resisted. Kallax explains what it is when you meet him.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
True, the hitboxes may not always strictly correspond to the visual representation of the swing, but they are very consistant and you learn them in no time.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter

close.

is actually the hybrid, jax have a chip in his head, the hybrid inplanted the chip for control jax (like the ekexitor) but the chip is damaged, the chip still give vision to jax of past event

Shadenuat

Arcane
So, it seems that joining a faction has 0 consequences unless you're a Cleric. 0, none, nada. just some flavour dialogue that's all. zerks & outlaws are completely in the dust there.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What consequence is there in joining a Cleric? I played as a Cleric and as a Zerker and didn't notice any differences. Faction choice is just picking your armor flavor and what special abilities you want.

Shadenuat

Arcane
A few.

- Suggestion options
- Free pass in Domed City
- Can solve farm dispute

However, notice that farm dispute has 0 consequences regardless of how you solve it, if you kill clerics there nothing happens. (maybe something in Hort, but I didn't notice it, had no trouble doing quests there)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
A few.

- Suggestion options
- Free pass in Domed City
- Can solve farm dispute

However, notice that farm dispute has 0 consequences regardless of how you solve it, if you kill clerics there nothing happens.

Well, those are all choices, but not really consequences. You have free pass into the Domed City regardless. The whole entry quest is retarded. First they don't let you in, then they let you in and give you a real ID if you hand in the fake one. Durr.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, getting into domed city was retarded. I was expecting a Gothic 2 town entrance kind of quests but we got only a lousy quest.
At least we can jet pack to the sewers if you know where the entrances are.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I also think I know what Kill Bill quest is about. I am not sure, since one playthrough says you can get the shards from him, but I believe whole quest activates only if you do something wrong in Bob quest. I feel like playthrough is wrong. Unless you do, NPC just doesn't exist in the game world and his house will forever remain empty. So, it is a consequence, but a very bad and linear one, punishing player regardless of his further and even some possible previous actions. No wonder it broke the moment I did something out of ordinary and whole thing fell apart - it just wasn't designed with time and player freedom in mind.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, getting into domed city was retarded. I was expecting a Gothic 2 town entrance kind of quests but we got only a lousy quest.
At least we can jet pack to the sewers if you know where the entrances are.
Sewer exit to city is closed first time you get there. You have to open it with they key first.

Well, those are all choices, but not really consequences. You have free pass into the Domed City regardless. The whole entry quest is retarded. First they don't let you in, then they let you in and give you a real ID if you hand in the fake one. Durr.
Well you get options other factions don't get. Zerks or Outlaws don't even have unique options in dialogue that can affect anything.

Overall, C&C in Elex is pretty mediocre. The most important things are completely glanced over, some finicky quests or side characters get more attention than those, and stuff is riddled with linear scripts lacking any finesse and immortal plot NPCs. And some stuff is just Telltale illusion outright (like "dis will change course of story!" or character stating that something will happen a-la "we meet again!" or "I will put out good word for you!" but it doesn't happen).

I found it p. funny that Drog DOES put his word for you if you suck off his cock though.

I'd call it part of "Eden Paradox" though - where anything that is in Eden is often good, even when you don't get correct directions, because of a web of quests and NPCs having important role there in multiple quests; and it's just a better designed place overall.
I did manage to put Katta's ghost to work at the gates however by finishing her quest after killing her :M

If I'd rate content I'd say that Eden and whenever something is connected to it or Valley is good, Abessa already could use some work, Tavar is where things become more about fetch and kill and start making no sense (le bomb is one of the worst designed quests in the game), Ignadon is just fetch and kill and main quest overall is pretty bad.
Oh and faction quests are just bad and completely forgettable.

Last edited:
Have you actually played it?
Yes I wasted 30 hours of my life on it. unfortunately.

Combat gets fun when you learn it
No it doesn't.

The hitboxes aren’t great
Unless there is a patch I am aware of, hitboxes is absolute shit. Some gifs circulating around on how hilariously incompetent hitboxes are.

The inventory system may be suboptimal
So you agree with me; but stated ti as a whitewashing euphemism. and the Shit GUI just fits well with its incompetence.

You can turn off the lens flare when leaving a building.
You cannot. it is not lens flare exactly; some hdr or something. Changing the ini reverts it back.

Personally, I like how it mimics reality
It just makes you go blind faster. The intensity of the speshul effect is too intense. And remember radiation from your monitor is not sunlight.

Some quests can be broken,
My point exactly.

I won't comment your pros as you sound like a german robot parroting them.

The only pro for me is exploration.

Some other flaws:
You can have only a maximum of 100 saves.
IF your WIndows suername has some speshul characters like š or something, the saving system fucks up.

The hitboxes by themselves are a major dealbreaker. In an action game, the combat system is supposed to be crisp and ahve good feedback.

How immense is the incompetence in pirhana bytes that hitboxes are bazzilion times wider than your character model.

The saving system flaws sounds like pure consoltard crap. They didn't even bother fixing it. It is either incompetence or a fuck you to customers as they know they will sell cause of the German drones who will swallow their shit.

I mean Gothic 3,4 and Risen 2 are highlight that PB can no longer into incline.

Tagging aweigh for information. Don't get fooled by the propaganda of these German Drones. Half the praisers of Elex are simply doing so because its developed by a German studio.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I also found it funny how developers rotated and thought through panel houses and built giant ice palace which is used during 0.01% of the game (cutscenes and 10 minutes of endgame), but could't do same with Converters.

I understand all converters are supposed to be these elex sucking factories, but putting some extra work into those and turning one of them in a barracks, another into air base for alb raiders could have worked like a charm at some points of main quest. For example, there are multiple times you go to find parts for your raider, and one of them is placed inside a random bunker in Xacor, but it could have been inside a converter designed like an air base, with raiders on top and things like that.

Just go all Command & Conquer there, and make one converter a big tiberumelex silo, another into barracks, another into a command base, another be a robot creating facility, etc.

Oh and once you shut one down, area cold damaging effect should stop so you could have more freedom to exlore around it.

You can turn off the lens flare when leaving a building. Personally, I like how it mimics reality
K dude really stop. There is a particular level of apologism that shouldn't be crossed if you want people to take what you write seriously.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh and once you shut one down, area cold damaging effect should stop so you could have more freedom to exlore around it.

Yeah, it boggles the mind that this doesn't happen.

Also, observation on BETRAYING THE LAW:

There's the famous RK47 example of murdering the entirety of Goliet and needing to pay Ragnar 100 in blood gold. Yesterday I went on a test rampage through the very same Goliet, killed like 6 people, including a guard, had the ZOMG SOMEONE SAW YOU MURDER pop up, then went up to Ragnar and there was no crime that I could pay for.

My theory is that to violate the law and pay the court a fine, the criminal act must not only be witnessed, but the witness also has to survive to actually report it to the cops.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That is correct. You can kill Duke's guard protecting his treasure, rob everything and it won't be a crime. Cause there is noone there to see you do it and guard won't survive.

kalganoat

Savant
I've played around 8 hours. This game is a flawed gem. My problem with it are the clunky control and combat system, terrible balancing. Writing is okay though and I enjoy the freedom it gives me.

terrible balancing after 8 hours

lol nigga

Yeah I couldn't kill anything for 6-7 hours and now I got a plasma rifle everything is easy. If that's not bad balancing what is? lol

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
a plasma rifle which you can use after 8 hours should not be any less crap than whatever melee weapon you ought to be able to use at this point, the only difference is the knockback juggle

but if you really wanna spend 50 plasma cells on every raptor you come across, be my guest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom