Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Say what you want about Elex, yeah, it's not even close to being perfect, but it does have better gamepaly and charactersystems than Witcher 3.

mkultra

Augur
It's their best game. Gothic 2 would rank higher if it had far better controls, i just hate the controls from this time period. I remember it was the same in Tomb Raider 1 where the controls are just super digital and annoying, and at that time i had already played Super Mario 64 which has super smooth and precise controls, great even to this day i think.

Gothic 3 does have better graphics though, or perhaps i should say it's artistically better in many ways, just flora alone is insane in that game, ELEX has perhaps 10% of the variety. In G3 you can even find some trees that are used 1 time just to give that place a more personal feel.. you won't find that here, when it's really bad it did remind me of some MMO's - kind of empty and generic/bland which didn't really inspire me to explore.

It's also lame you get the jet pack for free at the start, such a powerful item should be gained through a really tough quest, way more fun. I understand why it's done like that though - for lazy reviewers which they fear will let go of the game to quickly otherwise... well, didn't exactly help.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
PB does the same shit that bites them in the ass with reviewers and casuals every time: they dont explain anything and expect the player will learn by trial and error. THEY WONT.

If you're going to make something that is so different from the mainstream you need to hold the retards hands or put them in the kiddy pool first.

The other mistake they made with elex was making the early game so brutal. Its about 8 hours before you can really do combat with most things and thats assuming youre speccing into fighting above all else. Can tell you right now that already wipes out like 80% of the people who "tried it".

Im not at all suggesting they water it down but they really need to spell things out for dummies. Because otherwise they just go play shit that is exactly like every other games they play and ELEX wont get a fair shake again

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's their best game. Gothic 2 would rank higher if it had far better controls, i just hate the controls from this time period. I remember it was the same in Tomb Raider 1 where the controls are just super digital and annoying, and at that time i had already played Super Mario 64 which has super smooth and precise controls, great even to this day i think.

Gothic 3 does have better graphics though, or perhaps i should say it's artistically better in many ways, just flora alone is insane in that game, ELEX has perhaps 10% of the variety. In G3 you can even find some trees that are used 1 time just to give that place a more personal feel.. you won't find that here, when it's really bad it did remind me of some MMO's - kind of empty and generic/bland which didn't really inspire me to explore.

It's also lame you get the jet pack for free at the start, such a powerful item should be gained through a really tough quest, way more fun. I understand why it's done like that though - for lazy reviewers which they fear will let go of the game to quickly otherwise... well, didn't exactly help.

Maybe the reason the jetpack is in from the early game is so that you can actually do the apparently far-flung quests that appear early on - and doing so opens up the game and the story. You'd die too often, to the point of tedium, if you didn't have your jetpack, as Nerd Commando said, it's the skin of the teeth by which you hang on in the early game, when as a weakling you're traversing a super-dangerous world.

mkultra

Augur
Maybe the reason the jetpack is in from the early game is so that you can actually do the apparently far-flung quests that appear early on - and doing so opens up the game and the story. You'd die too often, to the point of tedium, if you didn't have your jetpack, as Nerd Commando said, it's the skin of the teeth by which you hang on in the early game, when as a weakling you're traversing a super-dangerous world.

The quest to get the pack would obviously be laid out in such a way that you don't need the jet pack, and so would some other quests (in fact there are quite a few if i recall) where you don't need it, but the player should also feel that it would be cool/helpful to have. Leaving the player anticipating that specific item..

+ the player will run into quests where it might be a requirement, this to block off the player from seeing too much of the world at an early stage. The Gothic games were always blocked off so you couldn't explore the full game, just a tiny bit, leaved the player excited of what's to come. Same with gear, it had to be earned and it was fun because new possibilities opened up. A missed opportunity and not a good design choice, imo. It's only there because some people are really lazy and aren't used to that these days, and the devs are aware.

The next step is giving the player the most powerful weapon or armor from the start i guess, many here would agree it's good design perhaps? "it's the right choice, because its the most fun/useful item, otherwise you can't fight the most powerful creatures, and without it the game is really hard and unfun!" lol..

These things are much better left as gameplay elements, not as free gifts, especially so in RPG's.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The other mistake they made with elex was making the early game so brutal.
If only the whole game was like that. Forcing you to use the jetpack, find creative solutions, go around the monsters, or pit one against the other.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Putting innocent settlements against monsters was helped with the jetpack though :)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The other mistake they made with elex was making the early game so brutal.
If only the whole game was like that. Forcing you to use the jetpack, find creative solutions, go around the monsters, or pit one against the other.
Ahhh well at some point killing off everything with a single shot is rewarding. It is a just reward for a hard work. What i disliked is the skill points thingy they added. Older games were more fun when you just need the money and the stats to get them,not some magical skill points. Always cheat to get like 100 skill points and ignore it.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
It all comes down to design choices. Removing the jetpack from early game would make the entire experience much less fun. It's like saying that Link should not be able to climb until you reach the middle of the game.
It's a completely arbitrary decision, regarding to when the player can start having fun. This isn't a job, it's a game so it's supposed to entertain you from the first hour of playing.
And not a case of it becomes fun after fifty hours.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Do the combat animations improve when you develop your character like it was in Gothic or it's simply %?
You can unlock some special moves with the skill system (like the Jetpack attack), but it's nothing like Gothic where all animations change with skill level. That's a shame really, but for a small team, with even more weapon types than Gothic, it's understandable.

Sadly many aspects of the game are a simpler version of Gothic mechanics.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Do the combat animations improve when you develop your character like it was in Gothic or it's simply %?
You can unlock some special moves with the skill system (like the Jetpack attack), but it's nothing like Gothic where all animations change with skill level. That's a shame really, but for a small team, with even more weapon types than Gothic, it's understandable.

One thing to appreciate is that every weapon type has a unique animation set. Nothing fantastic but it is nice that an axe isnt just a model swapped sword, and going sword and board actually changes how you fight as opposed to now just having a better block button

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron

One thing to appreciate is that every weapon type has a unique animation set. Nothing fantastic but it is nice that an axe isnt just a model swapped sword, and going sword and board actually changes how you fight as opposed to now just having a better block button
Yes. They went for breadth instead of depth in the animation department.

The best would've been to have both, but then again, small team. Also, having animations that improve would only apply to melee weapons, so they might need another thing for ranged. Plus, I'm pretty sure they weren't keen on being criticized for shitty melee animations by retards that don't understand the skill system and judge the game on its beginning. The best solution would've been to start with competent animations and go further with improvements, but that would also mean balancing combat and enemy animations to adapt to all that, and that would've been a huge task.

I don't expect the improving animations skill system to return in a proper RPG any time soon. :negative:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Or you could just shoot everything with your bow plasma rifle

59A07D9D1151D1A584E27578EE91683C735CC2C0

bat_boro

Arcane
I've clocked in 35 hours and I've just gotten into the Hort, previously I went to the Fort, Domed City and Eden. I haven't committed to a faction yet but I plan to go with the Berserkers, I want to blast shit with magic.
So since I would get locked out of the other cities once I choose a faction (I presume?) I chose to go through the most content possible. I'm still getting my shit pushed in in a couple of hits on normal though, since I don't have any armor.

Am I playing this right? I would get locked out of faction cities as soon as I commit to a faction, right? In light of this, it does make sense to quest as much as possible with all the factions before committing, right?

I would get locked out of faction cities as soon as I commit to a faction, right? In light of this, it does make sense to quest as much as possible with all the factions before committing, right?
You don't have to worry about that, all the quests (aside from the faction rank progression ones) will be available for you to complete have you joined a faction or not. Playing without joining one for a long time just makes the game unnecessaraly more difficult for you.

Murk

Arcane
the jetpack is so fun that making it available from the start was absolutely the right thing to do

If you get bored, used mods to modify the jetpack's parameters, turning it into an inertia based human missile with some silly light physics shenanigans.

I did it after finishing my berserker playthrough and wanting to see different areas/things (initially just looking for unlimited/faster jetpack to get to the rocket ship in the volcano etc.) and found it to be a ridiculously fun way to get around the game world.

Nearly impossible to land on ledges since it sling-shots you like a motherfucker, but fun to slam around the world at high speeds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom