Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by Raapys, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    What I mean is, in Germano you get good and accurate directions. I never had to play "hide and seek" with anything :M

In fact, I even mentioned that explicitly in my revio back in the day.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    I think Elex is well-designed from the point of view of environmental cues, so you can pretty much find your way to things. The general comment is correct though, I think, that for most modern games they're designed with quest markers in mind and don't usually have as much attention paid to environmental cues. So there are some games for which "turn off quest markers" works, and some for which it doesn't.

I don't object to quest markers if they're something that can be marked on your map by an NPC, that makes perfect sense. But the vaguer the better, it's best if you get a general area and then the area is designed for you to be able to find the person/item by searching in the virtual world.

A lot depends on whether the game is worth having quest markers or not. You can have a game that's trash in some respects but fun enough to play, where if you didn't have quest markers that would just make it annoying, whereas if you're really into a game, really immersed in the virtual world, then finding by looking feels much better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    You don't need directions anyways because, like I said before, the quests are still marked on the main map screen.

^ Top  
  4. bat_boro Arcane

bat_boro
    Is there any downsides to using companions in the game, like less XP from kills?
    I'm 10 hours in and predictably I'm getting my ass kicked in the section near Eden, tried going into valley of the damned and was owned hard. So I decided to get Duras to help me but I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to this.

^ Top  
  5. SlightlyRadioactive Educated

SlightlyRadioactive
    There are no downsides, cheese the game with your companion until you are able to fight any creature that isn't pathetic.

^ Top  
  6. bat_boro Arcane

bat_boro
    Thanks bro!
    Is there any chance for respec down the line? I seem to remember this was possible in Gothic via a potion, but it has been quite some time since I last played the games. Or was this Risen? I couldn't get into Risen 2/3 since I felt they fucked up the exploration big time, but I'm having a blast with Elex, I thought this was a codex meme but it's truly return to form for PB

edit: Also I currently don't have a PC and won't have one for quite some time as it seems, with the prices being the way they are. So I'm playing on a ps4pro and I have the creeping suspicion that half the sound effects are simply missing, the other ones (such as river sound effects) seem bugged to me - no increase/decrease in volume with regards to distance, just on and off.

Is this the same for the superior monocled PC version? I would guess not, but then I remember in Gothic 3 there was something quite similar going on with sounds

^ Top  
  7. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Iirc you do not get bonus kill experience if you do not land the killing blow.

^ Top  
  8. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    ^ Top  
  9. bat_boro Arcane

bat_boro
    I think this applies only for guards or npcs which aren't in your party, at least that what I got today with Duras clearing some mobs for me vs guards near the lift to the valley of the damned doing the same - got xp in case of duras and didn't get any for the guards

^ Top  
  10. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Last Stand is downright OP.

Phasing is kinda fun to get some distance/breathing space.

Power Wave is a "cool" ability to point blank knockdown nearby enemies - so mostly melee. Can be fun. Too bad it can't be a part of a melee combo.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. SlightlyRadioactive Educated

SlightlyRadioactive
    You also don't need to worry about loosing XP like in previous games since new enemies always spawn in a few days

^ Top  
  12. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end of the game now. I've also realised why my cold level is important, but I think it's too late.

Show Spoiler
    My cold has always been neutral (I chose dialogue options which both increased and decreased cold, only because I chose dialogue options which I thought makes sense in the context of the conversation) but now in chapter 4 I am locked in only choosing options which sort of "serve the Hybrid". I'm trying to lower my cold level by doing the few remaining quests in Tavar and choosing the appropriate dialogue which is 'emotional'. Not sure if there are enough quests left to lower it beyond neutral, but I'll try. I don't want to serve the Hybrid.

Anyway, I am finally a killing machine! Feels good to kill stuff in a few hits (few can range from 3 plasma shots to 30 shots). :D

^ Top  
  13. Rafidur Learned

Rafidur
    Depending on your cold level, I've seen 3 endings. Details might be a bit off because that was a while ago.

Show Spoiler
    Full cold: serve the hybrid, the hybrid is great, let's suck his dick, woo hybrid
    Neutral: beat up the hybrid until it becomes less of an asshole, then spare it and team up with it to prepare for what is coming
    Warm: kill hybrid in anger

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Rafidur - I haven't finished yet so I will read your post in a few days' time.

However, in case anyone gets stuck like I was - I was able to turn my cold level to "intuitive" by just doing the Tavar quests. I had finished all other companion/side/Cleric/Berserker quests with my cold level being neutral since I never really cared for it + I drank loads of Elex potions, yet still finally managed to drop my cold level.

It went down to "intuitive" exactly on the last dialogue option where I was able to choose an emotional response (Scrappy I think, the guy stealing the chems) - couldn't find another such dialogue option in Tavar. So, this was lucky.

Now to finish off Chapter 4 this evening :D

^ Top  
  15. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Finished the game yesterday - 50 hours, loved every minute. The lore and gameworld are definitely its strong points. I really enjoyed finding tidbits of information around the world learning what happened to Magalan, who the Hybrid was, learning about the god Calaan etc - very well presented.

I enjoyed the combat too, moreso the fact that combat is challenging throughout the whole game, even at the end. I mean I was kicking ass, but if I got ganged up I still got killed easily.

Recent reviews on Steam are "mixed" and it only has around 8k reviews - shame because it's actually really good.

Show Spoiler
    Thanks - I was at "intuitive" cold level when I went up against Hybrid, injected some mana in him and made him my bitch. :D

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. Pegultagol Erudite

Pegultagol
    I agree, the game is pretty good in a way. I do appreciate it more because it seems like a good intro to the Gothic series of RPGs...I have Risen on my short play to list because of this game.

The Jetpack is a stroke of genius and perfectly balanced imo. It's the star of its rocksteady dedication to deterministic gameplay system (like a breath of fresh Edan air), all the deaths by chickens and mutants and mutant chickens are on my unsteady hands. Speaking of enemies, I appreciated the scaling based on creature types and initially confined to specific areas, almost hand-placed qualities to them.

I think a lot has already been said of the game since its release but it checks all the features of C&C, multi-part quests, exploration and reward, progression, etc. Story kinda falters in places though, especially with the Alb side of things, and the Outlaw's master plan of blowing up Clerics struck me as especially dumb, but still pretty engrossing throughout.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    lukaszek you got a pal here

• Funny Funny x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Say what you want about Elex, yeah, it's not even close to being perfect, but it does have better gamepaly and charactersystems than Witcher 3.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    • Excited! x 5
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mkultra Augur

mkultra
    It's their best game. Gothic 2 would rank higher if it had far better controls, i just hate the controls from this time period. I remember it was the same in Tomb Raider 1 where the controls are just super digital and annoying, and at that time i had already played Super Mario 64 which has super smooth and precise controls, great even to this day i think.

Gothic 3 does have better graphics though, or perhaps i should say it's artistically better in many ways, just flora alone is insane in that game, ELEX has perhaps 10% of the variety. In G3 you can even find some trees that are used 1 time just to give that place a more personal feel.. you won't find that here, when it's really bad it did remind me of some MMO's - kind of empty and generic/bland which didn't really inspire me to explore.

It's also lame you get the jet pack for free at the start, such a powerful item should be gained through a really tough quest, way more fun. I understand why it's done like that though - for lazy reviewers which they fear will let go of the game to quickly otherwise... well, didn't exactly help.

• No No x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. 1451 Seeker In My Safe Space

Lots of spurting will be happening once Elex 2 is ready.

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. cretin Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Douchebag! Possibly Retarded Edgy

cretin
    PB does the same shit that bites them in the ass with reviewers and casuals every time: they dont explain anything and expect the player will learn by trial and error. THEY WONT.

If you're going to make something that is so different from the mainstream you need to hold the retards hands or put them in the kiddy pool first.

The other mistake they made with elex was making the early game so brutal. Its about 8 hours before you can really do combat with most things and thats assuming youre speccing into fighting above all else. Can tell you right now that already wipes out like 80% of the people who "tried it".

Im not at all suggesting they water it down but they really need to spell things out for dummies. Because otherwise they just go play shit that is exactly like every other games they play and ELEX wont get a fair shake again

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Maybe the reason the jetpack is in from the early game is so that you can actually do the apparently far-flung quests that appear early on - and doing so opens up the game and the story. You'd die too often, to the point of tedium, if you didn't have your jetpack, as Nerd Commando said, it's the skin of the teeth by which you hang on in the early game, when as a weakling you're traversing a super-dangerous world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    the jetpack is so fun that making it available from the start was absolutely the right thing to do

• Agree Agree x 26
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. mkultra Augur

mkultra
    The quest to get the pack would obviously be laid out in such a way that you don't need the jet pack, and so would some other quests (in fact there are quite a few if i recall) where you don't need it, but the player should also feel that it would be cool/helpful to have. Leaving the player anticipating that specific item..

+ the player will run into quests where it might be a requirement, this to block off the player from seeing too much of the world at an early stage. The Gothic games were always blocked off so you couldn't explore the full game, just a tiny bit, leaved the player excited of what's to come. Same with gear, it had to be earned and it was fun because new possibilities opened up. A missed opportunity and not a good design choice, imo. It's only there because some people are really lazy and aren't used to that these days, and the devs are aware.

The next step is giving the player the most powerful weapon or armor from the start i guess, many here would agree it's good design perhaps? "it's the right choice, because its the most fun/useful item, otherwise you can't fight the most powerful creatures, and without it the game is really hard and unfun!" lol..

These things are much better left as gameplay elements, not as free gifts, especially so in RPG's.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • No No x 3
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Begone thot! Begone thot! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.