Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sorry Luckmann, brother, but you're retarded. This game is unironically the best action RPG this year, maybe these past 3 years.
Nah, if I want an ARPG, I'd go play Grim Dawn or something. This shit is just fucking retarded from top to bottom. I just died because the game has absolutely no concept of barriers, and someone was shooting me from underneath a bridge, and the AoE splash goes right through it, with no way to avoid it. It's comically, comically bad, to the point where I can only laugh at it. Reload, and the HP of the enemy has reset. :lol:

It's unironically the worst RPG of any type that I've played since Tides of Numenera, and that's not even a fair comparison, because Tides of Numenera was the worst thing I've played in over a decade. Discount that, and Elex comes pretty close to being the least polished turd I've touched in years.

Edit: And now I killed that same enemy, who's been completely facefucking me in both melee combat and with his knockdown-through-trees-and-concrete-and-sets-you-on-fire homing rocket-launcher for over 10 minutes by engaging him in melee with my bow and walking slowly backwards. SO AWSUM. :lol:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If you cannot consistently beat an enemy without taking damage alone, chances are that you are underleveled and should just run away. You aren't meant to win each fight, which is to say, git gud.

Elex

Arbiter
So cold is supposed to be good versus bad, right? But it makes no sense. I kill this guy who escaped the berserkers and that gives cold decreased somehow, but if I were to extort him out of some shekels shards to deliver a message instead of doing it for free I still get decreased?
no it’s more human/empaty vs cold machine.

zerosum

Novice
Patron
I love this fucked up game, it's a cold bitter asshole that really doesn't give a fuck about trends in modern gaming. A nice throwback in many ways to a time when a new game would be released and you would actually have to learn how to play it instead of getting your hand held and your dick sucked.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's such a rude game. You can literally feel that PB doesn't give a shit about the whiners, and thank God for that.

I give it a 9 out of 10. It's the perfect successor to Gothic 2, inheriting its flaws and strengths.

It's ugly at times, it's broken, it's messy and buggy... But it knows what it wants to do and does it, and fuck anyone who doesn't like it.

It's an RPG for actual RPG fans. Newfag edgelord posers need not apply. Anyone who compares this to Dark Souls doesn't deserve either game for being too fucking stupid to understand there's more than one style to make an RPG.

It also happens to have the best choices and consequences since Age of Decadence.

I'm not sure it's a good as Gothic 2 but it's damn fucking close.

Anyone who has been around the Dex should know I tend to have pretty good taste for RPG recommendations - and I recommend this game for any oldfag, for anyone looking for an open world done right and anyone who hates handholding.

Jasede-approved!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This game is unironically the best action RPG this year, maybe these past 3 years.
Just a few:
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Andromeda
Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3
Even Fallout 4, which is retarded, has the same or better quality than Elex.

You insult the genre saying that shit. You should be ashamed.

>I can't play H:ZD because I don't have a console. Also it was the origin of this INCLINED writing.
>Andromeda is fucking SJW shit.
>WitcheBHAAHHAHAHAHAHA go fuck yourself homo
>There is no RP in DS.
>I completed Fallout 4 and it was the shittiest, most forgettable game I played in 2016.
So basically you're a fucking faggot and jump off a bridge dipshit.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
>I can't play H:ZD because I don't have a console.
And that means it isn't good ARPG? Beceause it wasn't released on PC?

>Andromeda is fucking SJW shit.
It is, if you are sensitive as fuck. And yet, if we assume it's true, then ELEX is still worse.

Also, one example of shit is a proof of anything? Most dialogs in Elex are pure horse shit, and yet we know that it has many more problems.
That's all I will speak to you, for you are retarded and full of shit.

Elex

Arbiter
To be entirely fair, having your power-level based solely off of the power of the equipped weapon isn't really an RPG feature at all, its something akin to Prince of Persia type games, or even regular patformers: ie: starting with a pistol then collecting a machine gun then collecting a laser pulse etc etc.
First, stats matter if their main purpose is to unlock abilities and weapons. It's not the best system but it's a very functional one. You can't run through some ruins, grab a better weapon and use it. Your low stats will prevent it. Second, in Gothic your combat skill made a huge and noticeable difference in how you moved when attacking (including how you held the weapon, iirc). In don't know if that's the case here as I only have a single point in melee but it seems that I'm attacking better than when I was unskilled.

elex is probally like gothic 1/2
strenght affect melee damage, armor reduce damage

magic powers and ranged attack have fixed damage but enemy don’t have armor against that damage or have only specific protection so you have to swap element or change ammo.

it’s harder to understand how exactly work because elex have a lot of extra melee damage in the melee combo and special attack

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, Jax had been mind controlled by the Hybrid prior to the raider incident, so he didn't have a will of his own, nor was he utilizing his own skills.
From what I've gathered so far, the albs are some sort of a hivemind with a centralized nerve center called the Hybrid which distributes the ranks and positions and objectives among its subjects and bestows them with brainpower accordingly. (I may be wrong, I'm not that far into the game.)
So there's that as an excuse for starting as a blind kitty.
Use fucking spoilers!

Also question about quest. Lol.

If I give weapon to Bertram, and then kill him - can I loot that weapon from him? Also - how it will affect attitude of Clerics, if I'll give the weapon to Bertran, gives him to Angrim, kill Bertran or help to escape?
I mean it's not essential for joining Clerics later or at least doing quest for them?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Another major problem is the monsters placements,there's no coherence at all,just random broken enemies like Trolls,Mechs,Huge Spiders, 10 meters away from each other and none of them seem to give a shit if they get close,it doesn't feel hand crafted at all,more like randomly generated.Gothic 1 or 2 never had this problem,weak and tough-ish monsters were well placed in the beginning area so you had the feeling that you still matter without grinding your ass left and right just to beat some rats.Hell in Gothic 1-2 you could beat humanoids without a problem,in Elex it feels like you are the rat and everyone's a mech.
Here as soon as you get out of Eden you immediatly encounter some of toughest sons of bitches in the game,what's the reasoning for this ?It just puts the player in a bad mood seeing that you have to skip almost every zone because you just can't do anything,terrible design.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
And that means it isn't good ARPG? Beceause it wasn't released on PC?
Yes, and it's barely an RPG. It's an action game first and RPG second.

It is, if you are sensitive as fuck. And yet, if we assume it's true, then ELEX is still worse.

That's all I will speak to you, you are retarded and full of shit.
Disregard anything said by Bioshills.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The hand-placed enemies and respawns is why I don't like it as much as Gothic 2. But that's still great.

Tigranes

Arcane
Infinitron if no PB subforum then can we fucking retardo the morons that keep going on and on about Fallout 4 or Anbowhatever Bioware game jesus christ

So honestly, in many ways for me the closest relation to Elex as I play is R1. It's a game that feels and bleeds Gothic; it's not a gigantic game (in terms of the density of content and time spent navigating it doesn't come close to G3, probably because of frequent teleportation points and quest markers for those who use them), it inherits some of the 'petit-Gothic' elements of R1 (e.g. too easy to 'stunlock' enemies in melee once you get the hang of it), but the core of the faction gameplay and the unforgiving world is solidly there unlike R2/R3. It's far from the best PB game but at least it's a real PB game.

(For those who have yet to figure it out: the low stamina is tough and interesting for players early on, but it also means many enemies have low stamina: let them swing couple times, then a heavy attack to knock them down, and now you've got them in infinite stunlock partly because stamina regenerates way too quickly. Would have been far better to have slwoer regenerating pool of larger stamina for all characters, or just not have undefended heavy attacks auto-knockdown)

I did most of the early quests and finally joined the Berserkers, my guess is that the game goes 'early lowlife' -> 'join faction and more linear path to endgame', and that the power arc of the game really is visible from the get go: the 3 tiers of say melee combat skill, the roughly ~20 / ~50 / beyond STR req tiers, and so on, you probably have everything you want by level 20-25?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No way. Stats cost 5 points for 1 starting at 60 or so no way you meet the requirements for all the stuff you want by 25.

Even with heavy elex abuse... I'm running out of money but not skills I want.

odrzut

Arcane
People saying it's better than Witcher 3 (and from what I've seen, but not played - Horizon Zero Dawn) are delusional. But yeah, 3rd behind these. Certainly better than Fallout 4 and last Dragon Age.

Also - spoilery question
what is the significance of that Infinite Skies company from before Comet? Cause they appear everywhere, and it seems they somehow cause the whole thing?

Elex

Arbiter
elex is probally like gothic 1/2
Nope, in Gothic 1 it worked Weapon damage+ strength - enemy's armor= damage dealed.
In gothic 2 it was changed, strength still affected damage but not as much, armor probably worked diffrently too.

in gothic 2 the minimun damage that an enemy can inflct was 5 each hit so i suppose that armor vs damage worked pretty much the same.
and that remind me that even gothic 1 and 2 have a compelte stat page of the character while in elex they forgot put any info about HP.

People saying it's better than Witcher 3 (and from what I've seen, but not played - Horizon Zero Dawn) are delusional. But yeah, 3rd behind these. Certainly better than Fallout 4 and last Dragon Age.

Also - spoilery question
what is the significance of that Infinite Skies company from before Comet? Cause they appear everywhere, and it seems they somehow cause the whole thing?

i fond many stuff about that company i expect to find something big somehere in the map.
a vault

Doma

Augur
This is clearly the best game I have played in 2017. Apart from maybe the last expansion of TW3? When did that come out?

Anyway. I had never written a review on steam until today. Just had to give it my thumbs up.

Now I need a break because I am so hungry I cant see straight.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Have anyone done Blake and Rat quest? After I helped Rat become Blakes bodyguard they started running around the desert like 2 assholes. It's very hard to catch them, but then you do (usually when they get into fight with enemies) - they say nothing new.
How to make progress in that quest?

When I helped Rat become Blake's bodyguard, the next time I talked to him he had 'disappeared' Blake and taken over his territory. That was the end of the quest.

This is also a way into the

:dance:Thieve's Guild! :dance:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So I finished the game today. One thing I can't figure out
is there anything after the credits roll or not? I got a quest to go talk to all the important quest NPCs and followers, did all my business but I got stuck with Logan. I talk with him but it doesn't complete his final quest, and I can't kill him either since he just gets stunned. Am I locked out of anything relevant to the story or can I just quit the game here?
Will post thoughts, impressions and suggestions to players later.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If you cannot consistently beat an enemy without taking damage alone, chances are that you are underleveled and should just run away. You aren't meant to win each fight, which is to say, git gud.
Thing is, I can, bar complete bullshit - often it entails standing somewhere and just filling something with arrows until it dies.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Any preferences on melee vs. ranged combat so far? Kinda interested to know what routes people are going. I've been bashing everything down so far, but I'm only like level 6 or so and lightyears away from using any good equipment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom