Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Kahr

Have anyone done Blake and Rat quest? After I helped Rat become Blakes bodyguard they started running around the desert like 2 assholes. It's very hard to catch them, but then you do (usually when they get into fight with enemies) - they say nothing new.
How to make progress in that quest?
Did you buy the stims for Rat from the doc?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
CON confirmed for not raising HP. I'm pretty sure this also means the other stats don't raise anything at all either and are only there to act as skill/gear gates...
Yeah, I've already tested it with intelligence. It claims to raise mana/PSI points. From what I can tell, it raises neither PSI points nor PSI damage. Has anyone tested Dex/strength for increased weapon damage?
It only appears to work indirectly (i.e. pump up stats and then buy skills to improve health, damage output, and so on). I can live with that because it essentially does pretty much the same thing, only the approach is different.
Yes. Their shameless plug of GURPS was more than just a joke. It's always been their inspiration.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
start using spaces FFS

Also, remove all soulsfags from the premises, Jesus Christ
You like when PB uses arbitrary numbers to block your character progression, but not when Obsidian (or Larian) does? :shittydog:

wut

edit: if you're referring to original sin levelgating and equating it with pb-style open world with murderfrenzy enemies put up in close proximity to 'easy' areas, then i'm afraid you need to come up with better comparisons

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
THIS is the real deal, not the other stuff people use to perforate their asses.
11E34DDBD690E06530CC7B3D675C2A2813D2FDE9

I have learned to beat enemies by using heavy attacks almost exclusivity. I took down an Alb commander with a shield. Of course, I had to use some potions, because I get nervous as all hell and mistime on occasion. I might also be imagining things, but it seems that you can decide the direction of your strikes?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I just pumped 190 arrows into an enemy until they went down.

Are all enemies relentless bullet-sponges in this game or something?

So far, I laugh at anyone retarded enough to pre-order this shit.
I remember mentioning Fallout to some guy at work years ago. He said, is that the game where you a point-blank burst (I assumed he meant that crappy SMG) does 5 points of damage? He too probably laughed at anyone retarded enough to buy it because like you he's never heard of low-tier weapons doing low damage.

Why would you make a comparison about fallout and this game,they are nothing alike,especially when fallout is turnbased you kinda imagine yourself doing more shit when you wait 5 minutes for the other guy to finish his turn,plus there are so many other factors like accuracy etc
But when I play an action rpg where aiming is the only skill that matter and I pump a whole clip in some runts face, it doesn't matter what low tier weapon I use,I expect him to die a little.But in this game it doesn't even matter where you shoot your enemies,it applies the same damage,such a great design.
Because RPGs don't handle weapons, damage, and health in a realistic way, which shouldn't be news to anyone. It doesn't matter how many arrows or bullets or direct hits with a two-handed axe it takes to kill an enemy. What matters are your skills and your gear. In Elex, like in every other PB game, enemies have high DR (instead of Biowarian HP bloat) so tougher enemies require better weapons. Rocket science it's not.

That's bad design for an APRG and no wonder people are getting tired of it,people want good AI where you can outsmart it by you know,actual skill rather than running around...
Player's skill vs character's skill. Some people prefer the former, others prefer the latter.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don’t mind the high damage resistance. In the real world, armor was insanely overpowered for millennia. Try shooting dozens of arrows at someone in Milanese plate and you’ll probably just give him some bruises, unless you get very lucky and slip one through the visor (massed archery could knock you down though, which is how the English won at Agincourt). Piercing plate might be doable from a very short range if you’re a giant who has a massive bow with 160 pounds of pull, but that’s kind of a real life example of character progression and better equipment. If you get an arquebus, though, you could one shot a knight in the best plate armor around. Similarly, you have to be very skillful to kill someone in plate if you’re using a cutting or thrusting weapon like a sword, but get yourself a maul or a pollaxe and you can do a lot of damage.

And combat is not just running away from enemies then coming back in 20 levels and crushing them. There’s a vast intermediate stage where many harder fights are challenging but winnable. Sometimes your first couple of attacks do very little damage because the enemy is blocking, just like you can block. You need to deplete their stamina to really crush them, or get them right after an attack when they’re wide open.

Also, anyone who talks about spamming the attack button has clearly never played Elex because that’s a great way to die very quickly. The only thing you spam in combat is the jet pack.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I just pumped 190 arrows into an enemy until they went down.

Are all enemies relentless bullet-sponges in this game or something?

So far, I laugh at anyone retarded enough to pre-order this shit.
I remember mentioning Fallout to some guy at work years ago. He said, is that the game where you a point-blank burst (I assumed he meant that crappy SMG) does 5 points of damage? He too probably laughed at anyone retarded enough to buy it because like you he's never heard of low-tier weapons doing low damage.

Why would you make a comparison about fallout and this game,they are nothing alike,especially when fallout is turnbased you kinda imagine yourself doing more shit when you wait 5 minutes for the other guy to finish his turn,plus there are so many other factors like accuracy etc
But when I play an action rpg where aiming is the only skill that matter and I pump a whole clip in some runts face, it doesn't matter what low tier weapon I use,I expect him to die a little.But in this game it doesn't even matter where you shoot your enemies,it applies the same damage,such a great design.
Because RPGs don't handle weapons, damage, and health in a realistic way, which shouldn't be news to anyone. It doesn't matter how many arrows or bullets or direct hits with a two-handed axe it takes to kill an enemy. What matters are your skills and your gear. In Elex, like in every other PB game, enemies have high DR (instead of Biowarian HP bloat) so tougher enemies require better weapons. Rocket science it's not.

That's bad design for an APRG and no wonder people are getting tired of it,people want good AI where you can outsmart it by you know,actual skill rather than running around...
Player's skill vs character's skill. Some people prefer the former, others prefer the latter.

To be entirely fair, having your power-level based solely off of the power of the equipped weapon isn't really an RPG feature at all, its something akin to Prince of Persia type games, or even regular patformers: ie: starting with a pistol then collecting a machine gun then collecting a laser pulse etc etc. From the Prince of Persia wiki:

The Water Sword is the strongest of the seven primary swords. The Prince can defeat a Brute with less than ten hits. When the Water Sword is near water, the sword glows blue. The Water Sword is the only weapon strong enough to kill the Dahaka. Like the Lion Sword and the Scorpion Sword, the Water Sword is capable of charged attacks and breaking cracked walls.

I know you probably like the game and it has elements you find enjoyable, but that doesn't mean you have to make stuff up.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So cold is supposed to be good versus bad, right? But it makes no sense. I kill this guy who escaped the berserkers and that gives cold decreased somehow, but if I were to extort him out of some shekels shards to deliver a message instead of doing it for free I still get decreased?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
To be entirely fair, having your power-level based solely off of the power of the equipped weapon isn't really an RPG feature at all, its something akin to Prince of Persia type games, or even regular patformers: ie: starting with a pistol then collecting a machine gun then collecting a laser pulse etc etc.
First, stats matter if their main purpose is to unlock abilities and weapons. It's not the best system but it's a very functional one. You can't run through some ruins, grab a better weapon and use it. Your low stats will prevent it. Second, in Gothic your combat skill made a huge and noticeable difference in how you moved when attacking (including how you held the weapon, iirc). In don't know if that's the case here as I only have a single point in melee but it seems that I'm attacking better than when I was unskilled.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes. It's not morality but emotional coldness. You'll notice many bad and evil choices actually reduce coldness because you're passionate.

sullynathan

Arcane
so give me the run down of Elex. Is performance good for potato PC's? For example Divinity Original Sin 2 doesn't run well on mine

Is combat the same as Gothic/ have there been no improvements? What's with the jetpack stuff?

Buy it on your playstation, F-A-G-G-O-T, then go discus it in the console-fag section of this website. Maybe there you will find answers that people will reply to.
Why are you so butthurt?

Raapys

Arcane
That's bad design for an APRG and no wonder people are getting tired of it,people want good AI where you can outsmart it by you know,actual skill rather than running around,ignoring 80% of the enemies just to come back 5 hours later to one shot it,where the hell is the challenge in that?If I want to do that,I'll play an mmo where is the same damn thing,maybe with better combat.
You have to move on folks,it was decent in the 80'-90's but now you have games like BloodBorne,The Surge,Dark Soul,Nioh where you actually have to press more than one button at a time,rather than stay in one place and spam your abilities like a bot.It may not be rocket science but it's bad design,sorry to shit on your dreams.
RPG -> Outcome decided primarily by your character's stats. Action -> Outcome decided primarily by the character controller's skill. Action RPG -> Somewhere between.

You obviously don't like the RPG portion of aRPG. That's fine. But don't throw your shitty taste around like some kind of authority on the matter. There's plenty of action games out there already, and precious few games with focus on RPG elements.

Raapys

Arcane
It's more like rational vs. emotional, I believe.
Yeah, but which one is which? If it decreases, is it rational or emotional? It's almost always decreased by my decisions.
If it decreases, it's emotional. Emotional gives access to skill that increases spell damage.

Increase means rational/logical == alb way of thinking. Gives access to skill that increases ranged weapons damage.

Elex

Arbiter
Just gave a small test to stats.

I have 20 CON and a bunch of spare attribute points. Went against the battlemech at the converter and got shot. Took screenshot.

Reloaded, raised CON to 32, got shot again, took screenshot.

The HP bar is in the exact same spot.

CON confirmed for not raising HP.

I'm pretty sure this also means the other stats don't raise anything at all either and are only there to act as skill/gear gates...
well you can check with healing item you know how much they heal.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's more like rational vs. emotional, I believe.
Yeah, but which one is which? If it decreases, is it rational or emotional? It's almost always decreased by my decisions.
If it decreases, it's emotional. Emotional gives access to skill that increases spell damage.

Increase means rational/logical == alb way of thinking. Gives access to skill that increases ranged weapons damage.
Oh, I understand now. Still strange that extorting someone out of money to deliver a message to his love is emotional though.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So cold is supposed to be good versus bad, right? But it makes no sense. I kill this guy who escaped the berserkers and that gives cold decreased somehow, but if I were to extort him out of some shekels shards to deliver a message instead of doing it for free I still get decreased?
Don't look for sense in it, it's as retarded as Soul in R3.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The more I play, the more comically bad this game gets.

It's a pity, too, because the world itself is actually beautiful, but everything else about the game is absolutely awful, from world collision/geometry, to combat, to quests, to dialogues, to UI (oh god, the UI is so bad), to controls.

I think I've finally found a contender for the second most awful game of the year.

Raapys

Arcane
Oh, I understand now. Still strange that extorting someone out of money to deliver a message to his love is emotional though.
Yeah, it's not always easy to make sense of it. It's possible some of it got lost in translation. I guess the thought here would be that you're being 'cruel', thus emotional. On the other hand, you could argue it's only logical that you get paid for doing a job, so who knows.

sullynathan

Arcane
The more I play, the more comically bad this game gets.

It's a pity, too, because the world itself is actually beautiful, but everything else about the game is absolutely awful, from world collision/geometry, to combat, to quests, to dialogues, to UI (oh god, the UI is so bad), to controls.

I think I've finally found a contender for the second most awful game of the year.
gothic 3 bad as in it gets worse as you play?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Sorry Luckmann, brother, but you're retarded. This game is unironically the best action RPG this year, maybe these past 3 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom