Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Mortmal

Arcane
The good thing with alien invasion is they are discreet , do not disrupt any trade routes nor any part of the economy. Most sociable invaders ever. That in frontier game...

It's not just aliens, it's a pretty universal thing tbh. Haven't you noticed those convenient "Combat zone" PoI? How civilised of factions to meet and fight at some irrelevant coordinates rather than saturate stations security.
I know , everything to not disturb the grand balance of the universe and absolutely avoid any emerging gameplay.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
There's nothing interesting about engineering or an Anaconda. It's all just grind with no player agency for grinds sake and to stretch what little gameplay there is.

Well you know what? The way I played ED was more like it was a sports game. I recorded my earnings per flight and wanted to break the record by as much as I could, so it went from measly beginnings with an Adder to over 1 million with contract orders for some nonsense (Osmium etc) to 10 million per mining trip, then 20 million per flight, 30 and so on with better equipment and planning and eventually 100 million in the grand finale with the passenger expoits that took several hours at full time compression.

At that point I had lost the last bit of respect for the game and David Braben, and did what everyone eventually does: uninstall this annoyingly retarded piece of shit.

Elite Dangerous is perhaps the dumbest game design in history, the exact opposite of the 8-bit Elite.

Burning Bridges

Since I know by now that MadMaxHellfire is a retard on a mission to have an argument with me.

Here is a video showing how you travel through entire solar systems with 2000c, in few minutes

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since I know by now that MadMaxHellfire is a retard on a mission to have an argument with me.

Here is a video showing how you travel through entire solar systems with 2000c, in few minutes

What do you want to show here exactly? That you can go into empty space with 2000c speed? Well great, although there is no reason to do that since there is nothing in the outher reaches of a solar system. The area where you can find plantes and missions is easily reachable with much slower speed. Also there are some convenient cuts in the video, to skip the waiting time. Because it takes quite a lot of time to accelerate to 2000c. And finally, this is still not time compression.

Burning Bridges

Ask the bald guy why he is making such a fuzz, not me.

I only said that you can travel half a light year within a few hours that's all and it's the same as using time machines.

There isn't anything going on outside your ship anyways, enemies wait at the conflict zones wether I use time compression or not. You seem to be under illusions that there's more going on this game than there actually is, and the bald retard is having a hissy fit.

i wish my ignore list was as long as my dick. thanks for helping.

nobody cares

Stokowski

Arcane
And finally, this is still not time compression.

This feels like hair-splitting.
You could have sub-light-speed travel with time compression (Frontier: Elite 2, etc.), or
you could have faster than light travel that acts as de facto time compression (at least from the player's perspective, if not the universe's internal clock, which is busted anyway, because you're going faster than light ...)
See what I mean?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So, what,you want it to take a few days to fly from one planet to the other? Or you want to have to use jumps for everything?

And you could achieve 2000x effective light speed while standing still with Alcubierre drive (aka Roddenberry warp drive).

It is splitting hairs, yeah. You could larp that it's taking a few days or a month and let it go.

btw, i don't play this because it's boring, but it cost me about $12, so I don't care.

Stokowski

Arcane
So, what,you want it to take a few days to fly from one planet to the other?

No. Why are you imagining anyone is asking this?

Or you want to have to use jumps for everything?

Why are you assuming "want"?

And you could achieve 2000x effective light speed while standing still with Alcubierre drive (aka Roddenberry warp drive).

Mmmkay.

It is splitting hairs, yeah.

No kidding.

You could larp that it's taking a few days or a month and let it go.

Bit of a challenge to larp that in a setting with a single global server tick, really.

btw, i don't play this because it's boring, but it cost me about $12, so I don't care.

Quality contribution as always Lambchop. Congratulations on being the poster child for lowest common denominators everywhere.

.Pixote.

Augur
I might as well show the beautiful piece of junk that I enjoy flying around...this is purely an explorer ship, it couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. I prefer the aesthetic of a beat up ship, I wish the game allowed players to buy second hand rust buckets, the colour schemes on offer with Frontier are pretty much crap, I go for a basic colour then allow time to burn off the paint.

HxxVAXJ.jpg

Voids

Augur
I might as well show the beautiful piece of junk that I enjoy flying around...this is purely an explorer ship, it couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. I prefer the aesthetic of a beat up ship, I wish the game allowed players to buy second hand rust buckets, the colour schemes on offer with Frontier are pretty much crap, I go for a basic colour then allow time to burn off the paint.

HxxVAXJ.jpg

Sharp! What's your exploration meta? I always feel like I'm not quite efficient enough. Do you take the time to scan each individual body or just the system?

.Pixote.

Augur
I'm at 'elite' for exploration, but I wouldn't recommending flying around blindly to find decent scannable planets to increase your rankings, it's better to use the road to riches method. This game has a problem with balance, the arseholes who designed are obviously hardcore sadists...the grind can be fucking horrible, but break it down, don't do any one thing too long. Engineering is critical, you have no choice but to go and collect materials (mind numbing shit). I'm getting close to visiting Colonia through the neutron superhighway, but like everything in Elite you have to grind money and materials to upgrade the best ship with the longest jump range...

Neutron Superhighway

Material Collecting

https://www.alpha-orbital.com/pathfinder

09KudaK.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've gotten to Elite in Exploration by just randomly exploring my way towards Sag A. With the new payouts it has become rather easy. Used a kitted out Conda but really should've done it with a Krait MKII since it's the overall more convenient ship for exploration. Got quite a few Neutron Stars and Earthlikes with my name on too.

ADL

Prophet
Honestly it looks pretty fucking cool. Looks like someone tool a blow torch to stainless steel and got it all crazy looking.
cutter_lrpo_azure_stars_1920-jpg.189636

anaconda_lrpo_azure_stars_1920-jpg.189635

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom