Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

bonescraper

While this is the only space sim i'm looking forward to, i think Braben is shooting himself in the foot with that pricing. 200 pounds for an alpha? 100 for beta? Looks like he doesn't really need more money. Good fucking riddance.

Runciter

Augur
I didn't realise that the Federation was meant to be a parody. I don't feel that kind of humour fits very well in the kind of game E:D is intended to be.

Azazel

Arbiter
While this is the only space sim i'm looking forward to, i think Braben is shooting himself in the foot with that pricing. 200 pounds for an alpha? 100 for beta? Looks like he doesn't really need more money. Good fucking riddance.

Cut the man some slack, remember that he hasn't shipped a meaningful title in nearly two decades and squandered every red cent of the studio's assets on the shitty espionage game which he was forced to cancel after nearly ten years in development hell with no product in sight. When you're facing those kinds of cash flowl issues, a mere kickstarter is not nearly enough milking of your ancient and barely relevant IP. :smug:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
speaking of which, they released a combat build for private beta before official opening at the end of may. downloadan :bounce:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't now, but I liked Elite more on the C64. The graphics did not show much, and you could imagine what everything would look like. Now all is given away in 3d, but what you see is totally uninteresting.

DraQ

Arcane
That fucking galaxy map... Holy fucking shit!
How is that news?

You pretty much had the same scale in Frontier (in terms of dimensions), which fit on a single floppy, except "flattened" with only single layer of cubes in grid and proportionally less stars (still far more than you could visit in a lifetime).
You have pretty much the same fully 3D map in Pioneer which is a fucking open source game made by volunteers.

It's not that you could expect anything less from ED, although fluent zoom effects are nice.

On an unrelated note, hyperspace exit transition is shit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
i hope they hide some handplaced stuff besides the core worlds in there.

Raapys

Arcane
No one will ever find it if it's hidden ^__^

If it wasn't a shitty MMO they could have made it moddable. Modders could slowly fill up the galaxy in the next millennium or so.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I'm assuming you mean dark souls which, last time I checked, has a total of 0 gameplay/content mods due to its centralized multiplayer nature?
not sure that's the reason why it has none. might as well be because of shitty coding that does not support any modability.
will it be strictly MMO or there will be a single player as well??
default is singleplayer, you can choose whether you want your universe to be synchronized with the servers or not when creating a char. if not, you can fuck around with singleplayer as much as you want but never multiplayer with that character. if you choose yes, you get to choose whom you want to see in your universe, if anybody at all, but the state of the universe will be synchronized with the servers every once in a while.

Raapys

Arcane
Do you happen to know, when playing solo online, whether the actual combat will take part on your own computer or on the centralized server? I can't seem to find that specific info about it. I suppose cheat prevention would be a problem in the former case, but I'm not sure that's even an issue.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
wohoo, 7 more days 'till premium beta.

Do you happen to know, when playing solo online, whether the actual combat will take part on your own computer or on the centralized server?
nobody knows but it's pretty safe to assume that it will happen on the server or be in some form verified. without anti-cheating it would be pretty easy to fuck up all the markets of the core systems and so on.

Severian Silk

Wow, that video is awesome!

One question: Since supercruise is faster than light, shouldn't there be all sorts of visual effects like stretching or redshifting? /autist

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Scott Manley has been playing it a bit as well. Looks pretty gud. Will probably get it on release, but not hyped enough to drop 120 jewroes on a beta.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They probably will but enh... Watching Scott Manley play it looks like manual docking will be trivial for anyone who's played KSP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom