Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

MisterStone

Arcane
Bros whats the deal with this being MMORPG? Does it play fine in single bro mode?

Bradylama

Arcane
That's not faster than light, obviously
You travel between two places faster than light would on it's own.
At no point do you travel faster than light in your frame, so it's not faster than light
What you're talking about is velocity not travel. Travel is the process it takes to go between Point A, and Point B. By folding space time and traveling to a Point B sooner than a beam of light from Point A could ever reach it, you are traveling faster than light.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't encourage potatojohn, folks. He's the resident space sim/physics autist.

:yeah:

Thanks for the recommendation. I got mine in the mail yesterday.

Pretty solid, isn't it? Just don't get mad when it takes a few dozen hundred hours for using it to become as second-nature as using a mouse.

SO any of you faggots plop down the absurd 150 dollars to play the premium beta? If so, does it suck?

I backed the Kickstarter and then paid an extra $23 yesterday to upgrade to first-round beta testing (as opposed to standard).

I'm still setting up my HOTAS configuration and I've been busy this weekend, but from what I've played so far it's looking damn good.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
But that's not travelling faster than light. :smug:

"Travel" at its most fundamental simply means to move from one place to another; "move" is similar, meaning simply to change from one position to another in this context.

"Bending space-time" to travel or move to a destination faster than light could travel the same distance conventionally is indeed properly described as traveling faster than light.

Lame nitpicking and erroneous pedantry—it's what's for dinner.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Nah, bullshit. When you bend space time in such a way that you move only 100m at 5km/h to get from Earth to Alpha Centauri, you still only moved 100m at 5km/h. Never did you travel faster than light. FTL implies that the speed at which you traveled is faster than light - which is utter nonsense.

As an aside: If there was light in the wormhole or whatever, it would still have got to Alpha Centauri faster than you.

Seriously. This is like asking who travels the fastest between me and a marathon runner, only he is running on a circular track and I'm running straight ahead. Derp.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah, bullshit. When you bend space time in such a way that you move only 100m at 5km/h to get from Earth to Alpha Centauri, you still only moved 100m at 5km/h. Never did you travel faster than light. FTL implies that the speed at which you traveled is faster than light - which is utter nonsense.

As an aside: If there was light in the wormhole or whatever, it would still have got to Alpha Centauri faster than you.

Seriously. This is like asking who travels the fastest between me and a marathon runner, only he is running on a circular track and I'm running straight ahead. Derp.
If he's on a circle, he's not traveling at all, you're right.

If I race you from point a to point b, and I know a short cut that gets me there faster, even though I never went at a higher velocity, I traveled faster than you. I took less time to move between the points than you did. Thus I would have faster than IDtenT travel.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, no. That's not what travels means in physics.
Good thing we right in English and not physicish then.

Plus, I'm pretty sure no one doing physics would use the word travel, they would use speed or velocity if that's what they meant. If we actually got to the point where we could bend space-time, they would probably separate out original distance from distance traveled, much like they do when dealing with relativity for fast moving objects (time in this case, not distance).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AND WHO THE FUCK CARES IF FTL IS POSSIBLE OR NOT THIS IS A FUCKING GAME44444444!!!!!!!!!!!!!44394ZU38 THIS GAME WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST IF THEY DID EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO SCIENCE!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
AND WHO THE FUCK CARES IF FTL IS POSSIBLE OR NOT THIS IS A FUCKING GAME44444444!!!!!!!!!!!!!44394ZU38 THIS GAME WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST IF THEY DID EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO SCIENCE!

Because
1380667648440.jpg

MisterStone

Arcane
Yeah, no. That's not what travels means in physics.
There is no fucking formal definition of "travel" that is used universally in physics. I know this because I took 20 seconds to google it. :troll:

I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English is not your first language, that maybe you confused the word "travel" for some other word that means "displacement" or "motion" or whatever, but you'd still be on the hook for being a tedious shitposter in this thread.

MisterStone

Arcane
Now that I crushed your autist troll problem, can someone assure me that offline single player mode for this won't be shit?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Now that I crushed your autist troll problem, can someone assure me that offline single player mode for this won't be shit?
nobody knows at the time, since private beta is still kinda limited.
from what we can tell so far it will be pretty much like a more sim-like elite, just with ftl+jumps instead of time acceleration, some more advanced features like running cold, thus accumulating heat (which i really dig) that can fuck you up.

the only negative point so far is that additional features like seamless planet landings/evac+ship boarding/walking around bases or planets and so on will be released as paid add-ons/dlc.

MisterStone

Arcane
Sounds cool, except for the DLC bullshit. But if they sell a fully loaded version at a decent price I will buy it. I'll probably need a new machine for this...

I loved Elite on the Apple II an Amiga back in the day, when I was a young young lad. Once I saw some dude wearing an Elite T-shirt (I think you had to win a tournament or sth to receive one) in public. I was too awed to ask said bro about the shirt.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's got all the basic ingredients: huge universe full of stations and whatnot, potential for exploration, factions, nuanced trading, a variety of roles to choose from (pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, etc.), ship and parts upgrades, and so on. I suppose there'll be a mission system. As SuicideBunny says, features such as "inflatable asteroid bases" for players, ship boarding actions, seamless landing, and so on will be implemented in the future.

What really matters to me is how well ships handle and how combat proceeds (otherwise what's the point in doing all that other shit?), and the answer in the case of handling is FUCKING FANTASTIC. It manages to convey the feeling of flying a fucking spaceship (which many games, notably the X series, haven't pulled off well or at all) while offering a complex control scheme and quasi-Newtonian physics.

The one downside I've noticed in YouTube videos is that pursued NPCs just glide along like retards and don't pull off fancy maneuvers such as fishhooks (sharp right/left, shortly followed by sharp 180), turn 'n' burns, rotating in place (while continuing to move "forward" inertially) to fire on pursuers to the stern, "sliding" "up," "down," etc., yanking back the throttle and smashing reverse thrusters, or really anything else other than gliding along "forward" like retards and maneuvering only in compass directions as though they're planes.

I'm much more interested in initiating wreckage-creation procedures on other players, though, so this doesn't bother me too much. Also, it's still in beta.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm more concerned about how it'll handle when you're actually doing it online. Everything gets a lot worse when you add a few ms of lag. There's the offline mode, but I assume most of the features will nonetheless be exclusive or optimized for online play.

Also, does everyone who play it have horrible aim or is it really difficult to control with enough precision to aim properly?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm more concerned about how it'll handle when you're actually doing it online. Everything gets a lot worse when you add a few ms of lag. There's the offline mode, but I assume most of the features will nonetheless be exclusive or optimized for online play.

Eh, I played FPSes competitively for a while, they were a lot more fast-paced than this, and it was fine < 35-50ms or so. It's when you start getting to 80-90ms and especially above that that there are real problems.

Raapys

Arcane
Well yeah, fast-paced is fine and well, but the reason those fps games are smooth is because they compensate with visual tricks, interpolation, etc. They'll do that in this and SC too, of course, but what you can't compensate for as much is high velocity. These games will have you moving at much higher velocity, relative to your environment, than any fps game. An order of magnitudes, really.

Point being, a delay of just a few dozen milliseconds could have you meters away from your intended destination, whereas in an fps it would just be a few centimetres.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom