Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Stokowski

Arcane
This is looking great. Braben, for all his programming talent, has never been a deal-closer. But it really does seem, after decades of stagnation, that he's going to deliver something cool here. Fingers crossed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They probably will but enh... Watching Scott Manley play it looks like manual docking will be trivial for anyone who's played KSP.
manual docking is awwright but not when you do it a 100th time.

Ideally though, it should be significantly faster than the autopilot if done correctly, in order to reward skill... if you're being pursued, for example.

Bradylama

Arcane
You could also make it so that something like smuggling deliveries have to involve manual docking. Doesn't make much sense to have your computer interact with the station's systems for clandestine activity.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
More Scott manley. It's pretty neat how, towerds the end, his canopy gets busted. And the HUD only works on the bits of glass remaining.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Apparently, I paid 10 quid less than I needed to for the first phase of beta. I thought I'd donated more than that... must have gotten my projects crosswired. I was probably tired of ejaculating hundreds of dollars per project by then. Though, I'm sorely tempted to buy the game again given what I've seen people saying about it.

From all reports across the Intertubes, a flightstick is by far the preferred control peripheral.

:incline::incline::incline:

Commence M&K tears.

:incline: :incline::incline:

:incline:

:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:
:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Wow, that video is awesome!

One question: Since supercruise is faster than light, shouldn't there be all sorts of visual effects like stretching or redshifting? /autist
That should happen with slower than light travel. Faster than light travel is impossible so there is nothing to be said about what it would do to light.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Faster than light travel is impossible

:hmmm:

Perhaps you mean "It is impossible to physically propel oneself through space at speeds exceeding 0.99 C using means understood to current science," in which case you're almost certainly correct.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
b3a4fb902b.gif

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, but cruising faster than light would mean you'd be unable to see anything behind you. I wonder if they'll think of that.

potatojohn

Arcane
:hmmm:

Perhaps you mean "It is impossible to physically propel oneself through space at speeds exceeding 0.99 C using means understood to current science," in which case you're almost certainly correct.

FTL or causality, pick one.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Doesn't exactly take a scientist to know more physics than you :P

If you're completely ignorant of hypothetical methods of faster-than-light travel, then you need to get back to reading Popular Science, watching the Discovery Channel, or wherever else you get your information from. In the meantime, even Wikipedia is more learned than you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light

Your atrocious shitposting in these threads borders on autistic. This is the last time I'll be responding to you unless you have something constructive to add, lest I be drawn into another fifty-reply argument about the definition of "space sim," or yet another dick-measuring contest to see which layman knows the most least about physics.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FTL or causality, pick one.
u r dumb

Obviously an object can't travel faster than light, but you can bend space-time so the distance you travel is less than light would actually take. This doesn't break causality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom