Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
b4a.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
This seems to turn out really good, not totally unexpected, expensive does not mean better. I often ends up playing hundreds of hours on the indie games with small budgets, average graphics but oustanding gameplay.I think ill invest ina good joystick just for this one . Is there any specific one recommended for elite dangerous ?

Bradylama

Arcane
I just deposited my last paycheck, so I'll be ordering a CH Pro Throttle to round out my Fighterstick. Now I just have to wait another two weeks before I can actually buy the Beta.

Azazel

Arbiter
I do not suggest the X55 Rhino unless you enjoy gambling. It's a pretty nice slick combo, has the same sensors as the Thrustmaster Warthog, but it is RIFE with production issues. The one I bought last week works fine in every respect, except all of the buttons on the Joystick are completely dead. I've seen reports of lights dying, calibration failing, etc. I'm exchanging it on Monday, hopefully the next one actually works.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19639

Thought it might be of benefit to list all the things that we're aware of that are planned to be added to the game that may or may not be introduced in the Beta phases. It may help new people to see what is planned so they don't need to create a question thread asking if X will be added.
  • Law Enforcement Citation
  • Groupings Citation
  • Communications Citation
  • Missions Citation
  • Access to some of the other 399,999,999,995 systems - Not all systems will be accessible in Beta but the number will increase. Citation
  • Mining Citation
  • More ships - see list of ships below Citation
  • More weapons/addons - list if you know them and I'll update - Repair Systems, Shotgun type weapon, Docking computers. Citation
  • Dynamic events - e.g. famines, wars etc.. Citation
  • Rankings - Citation
  • Faction alliance Citation
  • New space stations Citation
  • Docking on Cruisers Citation
  • New trade goods (including unique trade goods) Citation
  • System Map Citation
  • Customization of ship interiors/exteriors Citation - Newsletter 25
  • Fuel and Fuel skimming gas giants. Citation
  • Wear and tear on ships /modules (outside of direct damage) Citation
  • Passengers Citation
  • NPC Contacts interaction Citation
  • Wingmen Citation
  • A more fleshed out supercruise mechanic. The ability to see, chase, interdict and avoid other players/NPCs, slingshots around planets and similar Citation
  • Hyperspace stuff (i.e. analysis, following, linking, misjumps) Citation
  • Improved planets Citation
  • Exploration mechanics Citation
  • Alliance Citation
  • Empire Citation
  • Damage models Citation
  • Derelict ships - Savage etc.. Citation
  • News system that covers events in game Citation
  • Multiple character slots Citation
  • Different start locations - might not appear till Gamma. Citation
  • Founder's world Citation
  • Ironman mode Citation
  • Deploying escape pods (rather than the automatic system we have now) Citation
  • Hangars and multiple ship ownership Citation
  • Improved Insurance Citation
  • Single player - online/offline Citation
  • Privateering Citation
  • Galaxy Evolution - Citation
  • New trade options - Seeing Market values without docking, Graphs!. Citation
  • Beacons Citation
  • Thargoids Citation
  • Dark Systems, comets, Other Phenomena. Citation
  • Probes Citation
  • Player logs Citation
  • Ship naming Citation
  • Ship crews Citation
  • Criminality Citation

Ships to be added
1. Sidewinder (In Beta Already)
2. Cobra mk3 (In Beta Already)
3. Eagle (In Beta Already)
4. Viper mk2 (in videos (without cockpit)?+other images) (what about mk1?)
5. Adder (concepts in Newsletter)
6. ASP explorer (concepts in Newsletter)
7. Imperial Courier (concepts in Newsletter)
8. Anaconda (In Beta Already)
9. Panther Clipper (concepts in Newsletter)
10. Orca (concepts in Newsletter/Edge 264)
11. Daulphine (concepts in Newsletter/Edge 264)
12. Beluga (concepts in Edge 264)
13. Lakon type 6 (Edge 264)
14. Lakon type 7 (Edge 264/Newsletters(mentioned earlier as freighter 3))
15. Lakon type 9 (In Beta Already)
16. Python (confirmed in a newsletter iirc.)
17. Imperial Cutter. (Edge 264+mentioned in newsletters)

more speculative :
18. Krait (here) thanks Cosmo
19. "the hunter" (http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/443372868max.jpg) ?
20. Fer-De-Lance?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
(what about mk1?)
there are a lot of ships missing from the previous games.
prolly no time/resources to implement all the previous ships, especially with the new ones they want to make. still, might come out later as add ons or updates.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Dynamic events - e.g. famines, wars etc.. Citation
  • Faction alliance Citation
  • Docking on Cruisers Citation
  • Customization of ship interiors/exteriors Citation - Newsletter 25
  • Fuel and Fuel skimming gas giants. Citation
  • Wear and tear on ships /modules (outside of direct damage) Citation
  • A more fleshed out supercruise mechanic. The ability to see, chase, interdict and avoid other players/NPCs, slingshots around planets and similar Citation
  • Exploration mechanics Citation
  • Damage models Citation
  • News system that covers events in game Citation
  • Single player - online/offline Citation
  • Galaxy Evolution - Citation
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Hope they don't need years to implement all that stuff though. But this is shaping up very nicely indeed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Let's not kid ourselves.

Give Braben a break. He's created something pretty fantastic on a relatively small budget, the control scheme is suitably controller-agnostic, the full array of fancy peripherals is properly supported (and the bindings are exceptionally well handled), none of the pledge options can be described as pay-to-win, and there's no monthly subscription or cash shop (at least, I've read nothing about a cash shop). There's nothing wrong with paid expansions, either. The game's PC-exclusive, no DRM, no publisher, is a proper hard space sim, et cetera et cetera. The man deserves a medal.

Once you play the game, you'll understand.

Bradylama

Arcane
Not to mention that the pricey Premium Beta also grants a pass to all of the DLCs that will come out.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Let's not kid ourselves.

Give Braben a break. He's created something pretty fantastic on a relatively small budget, the control scheme is suitably controller-agnostic, the full array of fancy peripherals is properly supported (and the bindings are exceptionally well handled), none of the pledge options can be described as pay-to-win, and there's no monthly subscription or cash shop (at least, I've read nothing about a cash shop). There's nothing wrong with paid expansions, either. The game's PC-exclusive, no DRM, no publisher, is a proper hard space sim, et cetera et cetera. The man deserves a medal.

Once you play the game, you'll understand.

Premium beta is too rich for my blood. I'm planning on getting it on release though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Premium beta is too rich for my blood. I'm planning on getting it on release though.

You should feel privileged to pay $150 for ED. Besides, isn't that about the same as the cost of a six-pack of beer where you live?

Your loss. I'll be practicing for hundreds of hours in the meantime so I can win my own Codex single-elimination dogfighting 1 vs. 1 deathmatch tournament. :troll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You'll be winning it because there's noone else on the codex who's willing to pay 150 jewroes to participate :P

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You'll be winning it because there's noone else on the codex who's willing to pay 150 jewroes to participate :P

They might be sad once they find out what the prize will be. I won't actually hold any tournament until well after release, though.

I've been thinking about this tournament (doesn't really matter whether it's in Star Citizen or ED, though I had Star Citizen in mind initially) for months, contemplating prizes such as the transference of my $2,000 T:ToN pledge to the winner, or perhaps a Thrustmaster Warthog and Obutto Revolution simpit with HOTAS attachments and 40" LED TV. The trouble with physical prizes though is that shipping to someone from Potatoslavia, even if possible, might be ludicrously expensive.

Bradylama

Arcane
The trouble with physical prizes though is that shipping to someone from Potatoslavia, even if possible, might be ludicrously expensive.

You've already loudly announced your Star Citizen windfalls though, so that's not going to garner any sympathies.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Premium Beta 2 release next week!
The Premium Beta phase is progressing well, and we will be releasing Premium Beta 2 on Tuesday 24th June.

You should notice a significant improvement in many different areas, including the first results of optimizations that should improve frame-rate significantly for those that are not already getting 60 fps

Three specific major changes to highlight are:

Three new star systems have been added, above those in Premium Beta 1. Those are Aulin, LHS 3006 and Styx:

Aulin – a K7 yellow/orange star
Aulin has a rich, high population high tech and tourist economy (a Federal Corporate State).

Aulin 2, called ‘Nirvana’ is a lush, exotic, verdant outdoor world, rich in indigenous life. A high tech largely biotech and pharmaceutical industry developed initially from exploiting the biological wonders found in the vast equatorial cloud forests. Tourists come to see the incredible beauty of the largely undamaged flora and fauna, vigorously protected by the Aulin Corporation. There is also some farming of high value local produce.

You will already have seen some sneak peeks of the Orbis class of starport; an Orbis, Aulin Enterprise can be found orbiting Nirvana.

LHS 3006 – an M5V orange/red dwarf star
LHS 3006 has a low population extraction economy (a Federal Corporate State).

A tiny system, recently (in stellar terms) stripped of its planets in a close encounter with another star, leaving just Vulcan in the eccentric orbit it has today. Vulcan is still in the process of cooling and reforming from the cataclysm, with the giant ring system the only remnant of the other body with which it collided. Ores and minerals are readily available in both the rings and on the surface, and are actively mined by the WCM Corporation.

Styx – an M4 orange/red dwarf star
There is no registered population in the Styx system.

unnamed.png

unnamed(1).png

unnamed(2).png

An Orbis Station taken at different times of day in 4K.

Orbis starports are much more complex structures, and hence more expensive to construct, than Coriolis starports. The large wheel has a diameter of about 8km, and provides a full Earth-like standard gravity environment. The smaller wheel further back offers a very pleasant half a ‘gee’ – suited to manufacturing, but mainly used as a luxurious retirement home for the wealthy, as the lower gravity can be more comfortable, and puts much less strain on the bodies of the more frail. Orbis stations also have a very large storage capacity for tradable commodities, which can be seen beyond the half gee wheel.

We are also introducing the ‘Hauler’ into Premium Beta 2.

unnamed(3).png

The Zorgon Peterson Hauler

The Hauler is an entry-level trading ship and is the first Zorgon Peterson ship in our lineup. It has quite lightweight construction and can carry a good deal more cargo than the Sidewinder (16 units), but has only one hardpoint.

One very important point to note, Premium Beta 2 will unavoidably reset your progress, although we will automatically gift you credits to the approximate value of your progress to date (including credits and ship, so you will be able to immediately buy your ship again). We do apologise for the inconvenience, but there have been some significant changes that have required it.
and also:
Premium Beta ending soon
The Premium Beta includes a lifetime Expansion Pack, which was created to reward our early backers with a lifetime access to all future expansions of the game. You can still order it here.

For customers who have pre-ordered the Beta or the final game this is available now to buy in the store. Those who wish to upgrade can do so from a pre-order of the Standard Beta, or from the Final Game. The Premium Beta will remain available until 15th July but will then be no longer available.

If you have already pre-ordered the standard Beta and the lifetime Expansion Pack, you only need spend an additional £15 to join the Premium Beta phase and start playing Elite: Dangerous today.

Bradylama

Arcane
You've already loudly announced your Star Citizen windfalls though, so that's not going to garner any sympathies.

I'm not paying $4,000 shipping to ship $2,000 worth of merchandise.

Last I recall overseas shipping for oversized packages would be several hundred, not several thousand. A pretty penny but no that bad.

For customers who have pre-ordered the Beta or the final game this is available now to buy in the store. Those who wish to upgrade can do so from a pre-order of the Standard Beta, or from the Final Game. The Premium Beta will remain available until 15th July but will then be no longer available.

So "Premium Beta 2" is dropping next week, but "Premium Beta" will still be sold until 7/15? Is the Standard Beta not included in the Premium Beta 2 update?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Last I recall overseas shipping for oversized packages would be several hundred, not several thousand. A pretty penny but no that bad.

An Obutto Revolution cockpit weighs 163 pounds, pushing 200 with HOTAS attachments.

Premium Beta 2 is simply a major update for the Premium Beta. There are four stages of public release for ED:

• Alpha: Royalty who pledged a small cask of guilders may participate.
  • Premium Beta: Patricians who pledged a substantial sum of dubbeltje may participate.
  • Standard Beta: Low-class merchants and the bastards of the nobility who can spare a handful of dubbeltje may participate.
  • Release: Filthy, absolutely disgusting unwashed peasants may scrape together enough stuivers to manage a dubbeltje or two and purchase the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom