Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Bradylama

Arcane
An Obutto Revolution cockpit weighs 163 pounds, pushing 200 with HOTAS attachments.

Ok, I didn't realize that was a Full Immershun system that plebes like me could only envy.

Azazel

Arbiter
Why not just order the Revolution from a retailer in victors country of origin and have it shipped locally? Unless you're talking about one you already own?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why not just order the Revolution from a retailer in victors country of origin and have it shipped locally? Unless you're talking about one you already own?

Well, some Codexians live in Mongolia or God-knows-where. The nearest distributor of the Obutto Revolution (or Samsung LED TVs, for that matter) might be quite a long distance away.

It's mainly a logistics issue. I just think that a complete cockpit system would be an appropriate grand prize.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you could offer half or less cash than one of those would be worth as an alternative in case of shitty shipping conditions or for people who just don't give a fuck about or don't have room at home for something like that.
but this is pretty moot without either of those games being anywhere near to release and you not even having decided on the game yet.

DraQ

Arcane
Premium Beta 2 is simply a major update for the Premium Beta. There are four stages of public release for ED:

• Alpha: Royalty who pledged a small cask of guilders may participate.
  • Premium Beta: Patricians who pledged a substantial sum of dubbeltje may participate.
  • Standard Beta: Low-class merchants and the bastards of the nobility who can spare a handful of dubbeltje may participate.
  • Release: Filthy, absolutely disgusting unwashed peasants may scrape together enough stuivers to manage a dubbeltje or two and purchase the game.
Sorry, but the only games I buy betas of are TES.
:troll:

As for ED I'm more than certain it will be better than 99% of so-called "space sims" on the market, but I'm still not sure how the developer meddling with physics will fuck the experience up for me so I'm not willing to shell money on something I may find table-flip inducing, especially more money than it will actually cost.

potatojohn

Arcane
It's a space sim where fastest speed is slower than polish railway system. I don't think we need to "wait and see" to know how it's going to turn out.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I want to get my space sim fix right now, any suggestions?

I never really played any except Freelancer and erm, Eve Online.

I like pretty graphics, freedom and also full gamepad control would be nice so I can easily play it from mmy couch.

potatojohn

Arcane
I want to get my space sim fix right now, any suggestions?

I like pretty graphics, freedom and also full gamepad control would be nice so I can easily play it from mmy couch.

try Independence War 2

6ZKau8q.png

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fastest speed in realspace, bro.
super cruise will allow interception/evasion maneuvers and you'll see other people super cruising in the same system, so not exactly sure what you mean by that. it doesn't move your ship magically someplace else, it still happens in the same system space along with all the other players there.
so in short you haven't played any space sims. try oolite.

DDZ

Patron
Well I did play the X series a little, Freespace quite a bit, and some Wing Commander.

But not much.

Not sure if those are sims anyway.

DraQ

Arcane
Fastest speed in realspace, bro.

At the scale for the ships it'd be impossible to dogfight at 200 km/s. It's a ludicrous strawman that nobody should acknowledge.
Fixed.

DDZ :
I-War 2 is probably your best bet.

Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters would be my personal faves, but they were released in 1993 and 1995 so that limits how good looking they are (although they are still visually impressive, rendered with detail you won't ever see in actual gameplay.

There is also Pioneer which started out as a sort of open source remake/spiritual successor to Frontier. It's visually pretty (although stuff like explosions or hit effects is still just turds placeholders), but unfinished and still very barren in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

DDZ

Patron
I have the fondest memories of Freespace, but am looking for something a little more diverse I suppose.

I bought I-war 2 on GoG. I remember having a magazine with the first one on the cover. Never actually played it.

Impressive so far, looks really good, from 2001 too. Having some trouble with the controls, but nothing I can't fix. The game runs at 28fps though? vsync on or off doesn't change anything.

Also, I didn't watch the very first introduction movie, was grabbing a beer. Watched the short second one with the kid getting in the cockpit and thought nothing of it, but now that I finished the first little tutorial bit and arrived on my grandma's base (?), uuhhh, what's going on. Am I Commander Keen?

potatojohn

Arcane
You somehow missed the part where you were in jail for a decade? Where you found the tug you're in now during the escape? And the group of people you're with?

DraQ

Arcane
You somehow missed the part where you were in jail for a decade? Where you found the tug you're in now during the escape? And the group of people you're with?
You first play as annoying brat, *then* get jailed for long enough to grow up (fortunately) and escape with a bunch of bros.

DDZ watch the intro, also don't disregard my other suggestions.

Bradylama

Arcane
So i've logged a few hours into the Beta and it's definitely a Beta alright. I have yet to successfully dock at a station because of CTDs and a bug where the station disappeared and then popped up right on top of me. The Error Reporting system is simple to use though and kicks in as soon as you CTD.

The flight model is super sexy. It feels like your ship has real mass and inertia to deal with. The biggest learning curve is figuring out how to map your controls on atypical schemes like mine. Yaw can make a difference especially when you're trying to aim, so I really want to get a set of pedals for this game. It feels great to play something challenging again.

I've already racked up three player kills because they keep choosing to side Federation over the independent systems.

DDZ

Patron
Ok, had my first taste of action in IW-2, died the first time, second time I did better.

Also overshot my first waypoint by 40km.

No problem.

Bradylama

Arcane
Yeah, my one complaint about the gameplay at this point is that hyperspace takes way too long to accelerate, yet at the same time it's not something you can just leave alone so you can't take a break to piss or read an article without the risk of a deadly interdiction, or overshooting your target.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom