Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, superluminal modes must take time to engage, else it would be far too easy to run away. As for the latter, it's probably as it should be—you'll have to dock or logout if you want to look away from the game in complete safety. A third option might be to tuck yourself away behind an asteroid in silent running mode with all nonessential systems shut down.

Real starfighter pilots just piss their pants, though. You might consider doing the same as a way of increasing...

...immersion. :troll:

Bradylama

Arcane
Well, superluminal modes must take time to engage, else it would be far too easy to run away. As for the latter, it's probably as it should be—you'll have to dock or logout if you want to look away from the game in complete safety. A third option might be to tuck yourself away behind an asteroid in silent running mode with all nonessential systems shut down.

Real starfighter pilots just piss their pants, though. You might consider doing the same as a way of increasing...

...immersion. :troll:

I mean once you're actually IN hyperspace. The amount of time it takes your drives to spool up is just fine.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
if it was fast, exploring the galaxy wouldn't be much of an issue or accomplishment.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Brady wants fast travel in Elite. Fucking unbelievable m8, is this real life?

It would also affect how quickly trading could be accomplished, not that most people would view being able to trade more quickly as a bad thing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
meh, traders are sheep. i really hope they hide some handplaced stuff out there in the wild, not just procedurally generated systems.

Bradylama

Arcane
if it was fast, exploring the galaxy wouldn't be much of an issue or accomplishment.

I think 400 million star systems can wait more than my lifetime while I zoom around individual systems a bit faster.

Brady wants fast travel in Elite. Fucking unbelievable m8, is this real life?

There's a signal beacon in one of the Beta systems that's .14 LY away from your jump-in point. You can't jump to it yourself because it's apparently too close so I flew to it in the free sidewinder. It took well over and hour to reach.

Azazel

Arbiter
There's a signal beacon in one of the Beta systems that's .14 LY away from your jump-in point. You can't jump to it yourself because it's apparently too close so I flew to it in the free sidewinder. It took well over and hour to reach.

And when you get there, there's two NPC eagles with interdiction systems waiting for you. Lololololol.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There's some technique to get closer to things that are too far away using standard super cruise... I forget, will have to check the official forums.

Bradylama

Arcane
I guess one way to get around the slow hyperspace problem would be to give exploration ships faster acceleration.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
While I could go ahead and install the beta or whatever it's called I'm going to hold off. Every early access game has burned me out on it and I want to experience the same awe I used to have when the universe opened up after first install with the original Elite and in Frontier. Am however very glad to hear that both this and Chris Robert's baby are apparantly pushing all the right buttons.

Found anything interesting?

Bradylama

Arcane
Fuck no. It was a single Lakon and a barrel of toxic waste. Can't exactly take on a Lakon with the starter Sidewinder and a single pulse laser.

potatojohn

Arcane
While I could go ahead and install the beta or whatever it's called I'm going to hold off. Every early access game has burned me out on it and I want to experience the same awe I used to have when the universe opened up after first install with the original Elite⎈ and in Frontier.

Considering it's just a MMO cash-in like Elder Scrolls Online, I'm not sure what kind of awe you're expecting to experience

Bradylama

Arcane
https://elite.frontier.co.uk/downloads/Sidewinder_Owners_Manual_WIP.pdf

Sidewinder Owner's Manual.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18617

Supercruise Guide.

Ultrashort version of this guide:
Map 3 keys with 50%, 75%, and 100% speed.

Go at 100% speed until you're at a distance of 250ls.
At 250ls, lower your speed to 75%.
If you decelerate too quickly, "boost" your speed in small 2-3 second 100% speed bursts, then back to 75%.
At 3,000km, lower your speed to 50% and be ready to disengage SuperCruise.
If your speed is higher than 1/10th the distance left, you're most likely going too fast, especially as you get closer (within 100ls of your target).

It's possible to force yourself out of cruise mode by double-tapping the cruise button (or switch), which I've done several times. It's pretty fun to be hurled from cruise and spin through the void, but it's conjectured that emergency stops will wear out your components once wear and tear is implemented. If you pull an emergency cruise within 200km of the target (this is the distance you want to exit) you'll be dropped from the coordinates from up to 20-195 km away. If you're far enough away you can instantly jump back into cruise and then just pop out to load the event properly.

Your minimum cruise speed at 0% throttle is 20 km/s.

Bradylama

Arcane
Tip: the headlook toggle is not in the actual headlook section, but in a different one. I kept trying to figure out why my 8-way hat wasn't looking anywhere and found the headlook toggle later. If you look up in the Sidewinder you have a clear canopy, which is going to be the one you want to use for screenshots.

The station vanishing bug is no joke. I just had it pop out on me again while I was docked, and the station assets keep spinning while you stay in place. Save & Quit, and exit everything. They mention that in the FAQ.

Azazel

Arbiter
New update is sick, but markets are already flat again unless you have mad amounts of cash to trade with. :(

potatojohn

Arcane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2nGIvbiVI

:D

That looks so stupid.

Rocket thrust but no acceleration.

Max speed is 20m/s like in X.

RCS fires randomly

Habitat ring next to a gas giant (enjoy your radiation)

Ships are just haphazardly flying around everywhere

Floor of hangar rotates radially

I don't understand why people are excited about this. It looks so bad. Imagine that EA or Activision were making it. There would be so much butthurt about decline.

I bet even Bethesda could make a better space game than this.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2nGIvbiVI

:D

That looks so stupid.

Max speed is 20m/s like in X.

RCS fires randomly

Habitat ring next to a gas giant (enjoy your radiation)

Ships are just haphazardly flying around everywhere

Floor of hangar rotates radially
I say it slowly: who...the...fuck...cares. I will call you if I want a game made by astro-physicists. Until then let my enjoy my VIDEOGAME!

well, the point of science-fiction is that it's science first of all, otherwise it becomes indistinguishable by "whatever happens don't ask, that's magic" fantasy bullshit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
well, the point of science-fiction is that it's science first of all, otherwise it becomes indistinguishable by "whatever happens don't ask, that's magic" fantasy bullshit.
No, in that case it would be called science-science. But it is called science-FICTION. So why throw a hissy fit if there is a habitat ring next to a gas giant? Who knows what technology will we use 200 years from know? Nobody bothers about near light speed travel, or faster than light, despite the fact that it will probably never happen.

DraQ

Arcane
This.

This, along with arbitrary max velocity is my main beef with E4 (and it's a massive one).
It's just fucking WRONG and it looks fucking WRONG.

The other things aren't nearly as bad or glaring:
  • we don't know how much and what shielding does the station have, and it doesn't have mass constraints as it isn't going anywhere (for what we know it might not even need much passive shielding, for example by generating strong magnetic field to deflect charged particles and funnel them where it can take it)
  • RCS only fire when ships seem to actually change the course (puzzlingly enough the trailer only ever shows bottom RCS firing)
  • the ships have reason to move slowly around station and you can't distinguish their actual velocity from camera work (there is an actual velocity ceiling in game, but from what I've heard it's around 0.5km/s, so much faster thnan anything shown in the vid)
  • old man Coriolis would surely make landing in that hangar a bitch, but as long as it's reflected in gameplay I have no problem with this bit of stupid design (other than the ship seeming to slow down for no reason before touchdown - no RCS firing)
while some stuff is quite awesome - most of station design, the fact that you only have (exaggerated) Milky Way in the skybox instead of randumb nebulae.

Funny you didn't pick up on random glowing bits and way too small radiators:
I'd love to see space game where ships traveling in system on high specific impulse gear of their drives would require to have massive radiators deployed, and only stow them for high thrust manoeuvrings, docking, downtime and combat (provided that it would be conducted at close range for whatever reason and didn't use beam weapons producing a lot of waste heat - laser stars zapping each other across system would not be very exciting, I'm afraid).

DraQ

Arcane
No, in that case it would be called science-science. But it is called science-FICTION.
It's called science-FICTION because we currently don't have massive space stations and aren't casually flying around in space in this star system, let alone others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom