Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hm, go warthog or save some money on the sticks and shipping and pick a different one?

Azazel

Arbiter
God, are you boobs going to be disappointed when you get the game and it's optimized for an xbox gamepad.

Holy fuck, is your name Potato because that's all you've got between the ears? It's clear that you despise this game, so why don't you go back to jerking off over the Piece of Shit that Pioneer remains after 9 years in development and quit with the snide little one liners.

:0/5:

(And for the record, nearly every pro FPS player in the 1990's won tournaments using a joystick. Dumbass.)

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So what if it's optimized for Xbox gamepad? This is definitely a game which needs a joystick or similar control method.

Bradylama

Arcane
Real flight sticks even have a greater full range of motion than the joysticks on the xbox controller. And with a HOTAS setup you have WAY MORE BUTTONS. Even if the systems menus would allow Xbox players to activate all functions, a lot of that shit takes precious time when you're under pressure. There is no situation where a joystick & keyboard, a HOTAS, or any combination of the aforementioned with rudder pedals, will not be a superior control scheme to being stuck with the gamepad.

If the gameplay was "arcadey" then I would agree it's not really worth it. But the combat is intense enough, and the ship handling complex enough to make anything other than a gamepad worth it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Real flight sticks even have a greater full range of motion than the joysticks on the xbox controller. And with a HOTAS setup you have WAY MORE BUTTONS. Even if the systems menus would allow Xbox players to activate all functions, a lot of that shit takes precious time when you're under pressure. There is no situation where a joystick & keyboard, a HOTAS, or any combination of the aforementioned with rudder pedals, will not be a superior control scheme to being stuck with the gamepad.

If the gameplay was "arcadey" then I would agree it's not really worth it. But the combat is intense enough, and the ship handling complex enough to make anything other than a gamepad worth it.
Ideally with a controller some of the buttons would work like shift or alt, where you hold them to change what other buttons do. You can go from 12 to 30 buttons pretty easily this way.

Bradylama

Arcane
Ideally with a controller some of the buttons would work like shift or alt, where you hold them to change what other buttons do. You can go from 12 to 30 buttons pretty easily this way.

Except a gamepad is meant to be used with two hands all the time. You can't fly the ship and use keyboard functions at the same time. Power subsystems are the most important thing to manage when in combat, and the gamepad simply doesn't have enough buttons for it. Managing it properly means risking loss of control, even temporarily. That's not a problem with any other control scheme that utilizes a keyboard.

Dexter

Arcane
I tried it with a X360 game pad and it's not particularly great, at least not anywhere to how responsive it felt with the Joystick Setup. Throttle for speed, being able to Yaw left and right and the turning also feels a lot better etc. It just feels a lot more natural.

Btw. the more I read all these the more I can't wait. :P
http://www.theriftarcade.com/elite-dangerous-preview-on-the-oculus-rift-dk2/
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...have_the_dk1_and_dk2_are_you_glad_you/cjfmr5n
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2c4w1w/tears_over_dk2_elite_a_total_surprise/

LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgKm8AfWhY#t=28m25s

Last edited:
I fucking suck at this. I haven't used a joystick in years, and found that I over compensate for everything and can't hit shit and I died in the third tutorial mission.

I love it.

Bradylama

Arcane
I tried it with a X360 game pad and it's not particularly great, at least not anywhere to how responsive it felt with the Joystick Setup. Throttle for speed, being able to Yaw left and right and the turning also feels a lot better etc. It just feels a lot more natural.

Btw. the more I read all these the more I can't wait. :P
http://www.theriftarcade.com/elite-dangerous-preview-on-the-oculus-rift-dk2/
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...have_the_dk1_and_dk2_are_you_glad_you/cjfmr5n
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2c4w1w/tears_over_dk2_elite_a_total_surprise/

LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgKm8AfWhY#t=28m25s

Those reddit testimonials made me giddy. Like a liddle gurl.

bonescraper

I just bought myself a brand new Viper, and it's fucking awesome. Fast (500 m/s when boosted!), maneuverable, with 4 hardpoints and surprisingly decent range, especially for a fighter. Finally a ship that feels like a real upgrade. I'm lovin' it.

Azazel

Arbiter
FYI they are increasing the range on the Eagle and decreasing it on the Viper.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How many of you got a free copy? As in free. Just wondering. Call it a survey.

Azazel

Arbiter
I paid $150 for my copy, was there a giveaway I missed out on or something?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
No, there wasn't. Hence the question. For now can't confirm or deny anything.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got accused of "hacking". :3

I'm currently in a Cobra Mk. III with heat sinks, military-grade polymer hull, 2 C4 multi-cannons and 2 C2 multi-cannons. I went to the freeport extraction site asteroid field and hunted other players in silent mode. The guy I blew up said I was hacking because I was invisible to him.

:5/5: would stealth again.

This is me trying hard to not play this before full release!

tumblr_mg6p4q5Oev1qbn6nco1_500.jpg

Bradylama

Arcane
So I played a bit last night after a month playing other games, and I'm really impressed with the graphical and gameplay changes they've made. Having instanced events pop up when you get closer to them makes sense, but I've got a contract to kill Feddies in Dahan and I'm having trouble finding the combat zones. The new Viper is an interesting opponent, but it can easily outrun a Sidewinder, which is frustrating. I may even try trading, because it feels like the combat AI has been improved quite a bit and it takes longer to kill the typical Cobra.

Before I get dropped into the open world, my goal is to beat that fucking third combat scenario. I finally dinged up his hull a bit, but I'm still a ways away.

He's just way more accurate than me. When we're making a pass head to head, I'm missing 90% of my shots.

Bradylama

Arcane
I haven't replayed the combat missions (although I should because I'm rusty) yet, but have you tried managing your subsystems? When making a jousting pass at a Cobra, it's always going to have more firepower than you do, so your "System" needs to be boosted to the max just to keep your shields up.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Before I get dropped into the open world, my goal is to beat that fucking third combat scenario. I finally dinged up his hull a bit, but I'm still a ways away.

He's just way more accurate than me. When we're making a pass head to head, I'm missing 90% of my shots.

Head to head passes is generally a bad idea. Use your directional thrusters (I mapped mine to the hat) to dodge out of the way of his shots, make sure you're in the blue speed zone for best turning. Once he zips past, immediately switch flight assist off and turn up (fastest direction to turn) to flip 180 degrees, then turn flight assist back on and hit boosters. You should now be on his tail.

I haven't replayed the combat missions (although I should because I'm rusty) yet, but have you tried managing your subsystems? When making a jousting pass at a Cobra, it's always going to have more firepower than you do, so your "System" needs to be boosted to the max just to keep your shields up.
Yeah, I've been playing around with the subsystems a lot, but some of that is just going to take awhile to become second nature. I think one of the problems right now is the controls aren't intuitive to me, so I think I'm going to do some remapping to find that sweet spot. Ulm's suggestion of the thrusters on the hat makes a ton of sense, so I'm going to try that out. I haven't really played around with thrusters a lot (instead just trying to get the base controls down), but clearly they're really fucking useful.

Bradylama

Arcane
Yes, the directional thrusters assigned to the hat make the most sense. The CH Pro Throttle is ideal for this, because the throttle has a tiny joystick you can use your thumb on. So it has full range of motion instead of being limited to four directions. It makes takeoff and landing easy as pie. It also makes the approach to the docking port far more fun and intuitive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom