Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Bradylama

Arcane

Trade runs and deliveries are a great opportunity to practice with Flight Assist off.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just downloaded the beta. Runs great on my rig. Will be flying with you jerkoffs if we put together some kind of group.

potatojohn

Arcane
Apparently the game will have in-game ads

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2d4a07/possible_dynamic_ingame_advertising_in/

The Game may incorporate technology (which may be provided by Frontier or third party service providers engaged by Frontier (each a "Dynamic Advertising Provider")) which enables advertising to be uploaded into the Game on your PC, and changed while the Game is being played on-line. In order that the Dynamic Advertising Provider is able to direct advertising appropriate to your Game and geographic region, as well as to the correct location within the computer game, certain non-personally identifiable data and information may be retrieved and retained by the Dynamic Advertising Provider including your I.P. address, geographic location, in-game position, and information concerning the appearance of advertising visible during your gameplay (for example, the length of time an item of advertising was visible, the dimensions of the advertisements). In addition, the Dynamic Advertising Provider may assign a unique identification number which is stored on your PC and which is used to monitor and calculate the number of views of dynamic advertising during gameplay. None of the information collected for this purpose including the identification number can be used to identify you.

I can see it already...

Qs2AsNg.jpg

buzz

Arcane
I don't know about E: D, but I think ads in f2p games or games in general is not a bad idea, with the condition that they lower on the micropayments or lower the price period. Or maybe have a normal version and a cheaper version with ads.
Of course, like all marketing gimmicks, developers and publishers don't know how to do it rationally or in a way that it doesn't make the customers vomit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Numerous games that ultimately never featured in-game advertising have had in-game advertising clauses included with their EULAs, just in case. That being said, Frontier have mentioned that they might perhaps run some ads, but nothing obtrusive as portrayed in potatoautist's satire—if they do run real ads, those ads will occupy the docking/hangar billboards and not much (if anything) else.

That said, if there are ads and they do turn out to be obtrusive, obnoxious, and/or trashy (e.g. shady websites, Evony et al.), I'll drop the game like a hot potatoautist.

This does concern me:

...certain non-personally identifiable data and information may be retrieved and retained by the Dynamic Advertising Provider including your I.P. address, geographic location, in-game position, and information concerning the appearance of advertising visible during your gameplay (for example, the length of time an item of advertising was visible, the dimensions of the advertisements). In addition, the Dynamic Advertising Provider may assign a unique identification number which is stored on your PC and which is used to monitor and calculate the number of views of dynamic advertising during gameplay. None of the information collected for this purpose including the identification number can be used to identify you.

Not only does it irk me that companies award themselves the non-negotiable privilege of accessing information non-pertinent to the game itself, and even of installing or storing unwanted data on your computer, but they're full of shit in claiming that none of the info can be used to identify a person.

I will say however that this too touches on my contempt for tightfisted gamers. ED will have an online component, and that shit ain't free. Despite being able to afford state-of-the-art gaming computers and peripherals and high-speed Internet connections, though, somehow paying a $10/month subscription fee would be a massive unreasonable burden for a lot of people.

99.999999999999999999999999999999% of ED players can afford fucking $10 a month, they'd just rather spend it on:

• cable TV
  • cigarettes
  • liquor
  • a back-alley handjob
  • a bag of Chee-Tos, a six-pack of Coke, and a package of Jack Link's Teriyaki Beef Jerky
  • a ticket to some unbelievably shit summer movie
  • a cheap buttplug
  • etc.

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If ads are done well and fit into the futuristic feel, they could add to the game.

It's already Blade-Runner-esque, and they would make it more so.

Otherwise... it will suck.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will say however that this too touches on my contempt for tightfisted gamers. ED will have an online component, and that shit ain't free. Despite being able to afford state-of-the-art gaming computers and peripherals and high-speed Internet connections, though, somehow paying a $10/month subscription fee would be a massive unreasonable burden for a lot of people.

99.999999999999999999999999999999% of ED players can afford fucking $10 a month, they'd just rather spend it on:

• cable TV
  • cigarettes
  • liquor
  • a back-alley handjob
  • a bag of Chee-Tos, a six-pack of Coke, and a package of Jack Link's Teriyaki Beef Jerky
  • a ticket to some unbelievably shit summer movie
  • a cheap buttplug
  • etc.
That's true, although I would welcome if games that have subscription were available on a lower price when I first buy the game. Or would be completely free, and you only pay for the sub.

Morkar Left

Numerous games that ultimately never featured in-game advertising have had in-game advertising clauses included with their EULAs, just in case. That being said, Frontier have mentioned that they might perhaps run some ads, but nothing obtrusive as portrayed in potatoautist's satire—if they do run real ads, those ads will occupy the docking/hangar billboards and not much (if anything) else.

That said, if there are ads and they do turn out to be obtrusive, obnoxious, and/or trashy (e.g. shady websites, Evony et al.), I'll drop the game like a hot potatoautist.

This does concern me:

...certain non-personally identifiable data and information may be retrieved and retained by the Dynamic Advertising Provider including your I.P. address, geographic location, in-game position, and information concerning the appearance of advertising visible during your gameplay (for example, the length of time an item of advertising was visible, the dimensions of the advertisements). In addition, the Dynamic Advertising Provider may assign a unique identification number which is stored on your PC and which is used to monitor and calculate the number of views of dynamic advertising during gameplay. None of the information collected for this purpose including the identification number can be used to identify you.

Not only does it irk me that companies award themselves the non-negotiable privilege of accessing information non-pertinent to the game itself, and even of installing or storing unwanted data on your computer, but they're full of shit in claiming that none of the info can be used to identify a person.

I would abandon the game, too for this reasons. Some things you just shouldn't go along with.

Other than that I wouldn't mind advertising on ingame billboards for the things that are connected to Elite like fiction novels, paint shops for the ships sold on the website etc. if done to fit in the universe as some kind of ingame fiction.

buzz

Arcane
Can't really blame ED fans though, it's a trend pre-established by multiplayer games in general. I mean, even MMOs barely keep the subscription system alive, and normal multiplayer games don't even attempt that. Shit, many multiplayer games nowadays are free in anything but unlocking some extra heroes/weapons or skins.
I think many people moved from consoles to the PC specifically so they don't pay extra for online capabilities. I guess it's just the principle.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's not just "online" in the sense of tacked-on Xbox Gold or PS+, or simple multiplayer matches over the Internet. ED is the type of game that necessitates significant ongoing server and bandwidth costs paid for by the developers/publishers. When Final Fantasy XI released for the PS2 in 2002, people had to pay their monthly fees just like on the PC.

You're either going to have a subscription fee, a cash shop (preferably cosmetic), perhaps things like in-game ads, or some combination thereof. All that people's tightfisted refusal to pay sub fees has done is cause cash shops, ads, etc. to become far more common... decline, in other words. Tightfistedness is decline.

It's actually asinine as fuck to expect dedicated servers running 24/7 and ongoing bandwidth overhead while also expecting not to help pay for them in any way.

potatojohn

Arcane
But I assume that the actual fighting and such will be P2P, and updates will downloaded off of steam. That means the Frontier's servers will just handle authenticating users and matching them up (i.e. which users appear in your game).

Hardly computationally or bandwidth intensive tasks that require a lot of money to run.

Bradylama

Arcane
You need to quit assuming things.

Has anybody played around much with the new Cannon weapon? I haven't had the cash to really afford experimenting with it, and now that I'm in a Hauler I have to avoid fights. Somehow there's still no youtube video of it up yet.

Dexter

Arcane
It's not just "online" in the sense of tacked-on Xbox Gold or PS+, or simple multiplayer matches over the Internet. ED is the type of game that necessitates significant ongoing server and bandwidth costs paid for by the developers/publishers. When Final Fantasy XI released for the PS2 in 2002, people had to pay their monthly fees just like on the PC.

You're either going to have a subscription fee, a cash shop (preferably cosmetic), perhaps things like in-game ads, or some combination thereof. All that people's tightfisted refusal to pay sub fees has done is cause cash shops, ads, etc. to become far more common... decline, in other words. Tightfistedness is decline.

It's actually asinine as fuck to expect dedicated servers running 24/7 and ongoing bandwidth overhead while also expecting not to help pay for them in any way.
Have your payments for Star Shitizen rotten your brain or something? Are you actually arguing for paying $120 a year to be able to play a game that comes free with the first buy-in? Dedicated servers and bandwidth don't cost nearly as much as you seem to think they do.

Just look at what for instance renting Seedhosts with 1-10Gbps and 10+TB or even Unlimited traffic every month cost: https://www.feralhosting.com/pricing http://www.seedhost.eu/dedicated-server.php http://www.ovh.de/virtual_server/index.xml
Most of the cost at that is renting the hardware and electricity. MMOs as they are are rip-offs to begin with.

If this game required monthly payments to play I'd be out like yesterday. I think they are able to calculate their costs and profit margins without your help and will likely be able to make a lot of money through initial buy-in cost, sale of Add-Ons and similar or possibly some Customization crap.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
since founders already get a unique tradeable decal, i am willing to bet there will at the very least be a cosmetic cash shop with other decals. i can't imagine them not doing one, especially once the walk around ship/stations expansions go live. so many opportunities for custom paint jobs, char accessories, decals, clothing, ship interior tilesets and furniture or decos.... so many possibilities.

edit: lol, just read the update
https://store.zaonce.net/game-extras.html

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
If ads are done well and fit into the futuristic feel, they could add to the game.

It's already Blade-Runner-esque, and they would make it more so.

Otherwise... it will suck.

Yeah, something like this would add to the atmosphere:
tumblr_llg4odOzdu1qe0eclo1_r15_500.gif

Of course, fake ads would be cooler.

Bradylama

Arcane
Blade Runner was also set in a near future, though. It's unlikely that any brand would survive 1500 years into the future.

Bradylama

Arcane
I ran out of fuel in a system and ended up getting into a fight with a Sidewinder. Once the shields are taken down, the Cannon does devastating damage. Definitely something to use in combination with lasers.

I also tested out a Docking Computer. It's basically a docking AI which docks the ship for you (may be dangerous because AI pilots are stupid in stations right now), but it plays classical music.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah. I got it on my cobra to test it out, but sold it once I went on to the next ship. I can dock faster than the AI and I'm probably better at adjusting to dumbfuck human players who don't know how to move near stations.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
lost my fully loaded viper with k warrant scanner due to insurance bug :(

despite having funds to pay for insurance i was forced into a blank sidewinder

at least i have 60 k

Bradylama

Arcane

at least i have 60 k

Try CTRL-ALT-Deleting, and end task on ED. It may get you around the Insurance bug. People were using it back in the Alpha and Premium Beta days to cheat and avoid losing money on ship death.

Don't neglect to submit a ticket for the insurance bug. I ran into the same problem during the Premium Beta and it made me lose interest a month ago.

Edit: I'm really digging the auto-dock computer. It's nice when you're on the space trucker phase to be able to just relax and see the sites.

Especially if you're too drunk or high to navigate

Last edited:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

at least i have 60 k

Try CTRL-ALT-Deleting, and end task on ED. It may get you around the Insurance bug. People were using it back in the Alpha and Premium Beta days to cheat and avoid losing money on ship death.

Don't neglect to submit a ticket for the insurance bug. I ran into the same problem during the Premium Beta and it made me lose interest a month ago.

Tried that and it didn't work. Don't think it works anymore.

I was going to submit a ticket, but it specifically said on the support page not to submit a ticket for this particular issue as they are already aware of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom