Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

bonescraper

Fuck you, the ship design is perfect. Looks like you filthy casuals didn't play the earlier Elite games.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yep, I immediately noticed how this Elite tries to keep authentic ship and HUD design elements... and even some keyboard shortcuts.

Bradylama

Arcane
I didn't play the earlier Elite games and I love the ship design. It's functional and elegantly simple. They look like craft that belong in space. Space ships don't always have to look like the ISS, or floating bricks, or gaudy anime bullshit.

I'm also saying this as someone who likes the ship design in Star Citizen, because it reflects the way that people approach car design. There's a lot of unnecessary flourish and gaudy crap, just like real life.

Another problem is that most of the ships seen so far are either Federation or general market ships. Imperial ship design ought to satisfy people who would rather their space ships look like opera houses.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm also in the group who loves the ship design. It is not like a modern fighter jet in space, it is something more unique, which belongs to space.

Whiran

Magister
For me, that ship is one of the best designs for a space ship that I've seen in years.

The thing looks, as J_C wrote, like it belongs in space.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, a sequel should be about improving and expanding upon the original, not necessarily recreating its less good parts. With today's graphical capabilities, they actually have the opportunity to make some really interesting, dynamic and complex space ship designs, yet they've chosen to replicate the very simple 'box style' ships of the original game, counting on textures to provide the detail.

I'd rather they go rip off some B5 ship designs.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you have no clue what a shitstorm it would have caused if braben promised a new elite and did away with all the old ship designs. they are iconic for elite games, and elite fans pride themselves on instantly recognizing ships by rough geometric form as well as knowing tons of obscure shit about them. they really are pretty damn crazy about this stuff.
plus the models aren't as simplistic as you make them out to be, especially for the larger ships.
they might also add different designs and lines of ships later on, since it's natural that they would go for the most iconic ones first.

bonescraper

Well, a sequel should be about improving and expanding upon the original, not necessarily recreating its less good parts. With today's graphical capabilities, they actually have the opportunity to make some really interesting, dynamic and complex space ship designs, yet they've chosen to replicate the very simple 'box style' ships of the original game, counting on textures to provide the detail.

I'd rather they go rip off some B5 ship designs.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
they might also add different designs and lines of ships later on, since it's natural that they would go for the most iconic ones first.

I hope so, because so far, the only shoecartonips that don't look absolutely boring are the Anaconda and the Eagle.
And seriously, i don't give a penny about "iconic" boxes.
The old ships looked like shit because the computing power in those days sucked.
Today, it doesn't, so there is no need to still cling to these blocky designs.
If you absolutely Need to be a gaminghipster, buy an Amiga, and make lets Plays of the original while sipping mate and tipping your fedora.
But please don't pull this "new designs must look like the technical restraints from 2 decades ago are still in effect"-bullcrap

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I hope so, because so far, the only shoecartonips that don't look absolutely boring are the Anaconda and the Eagle.
And seriously, i don't give a penny about "iconic" boxes.
The old ships looked like shit because the computing power in those days sucked.
If you absolutely Need to be a gaminghipster, buy an Amiga, and make lets Plays of the original while sipping mate and tipping your fedora.
But please don't pull this "new designs must look like the technical restraints from 2 decades ago are still in effect"-bullcrap

I bet you're the kind of person who loves giant flamboyant shoulderpads and popping-out tits on RPG characters. Better stare at that semi-naked ass than have a semblance of world-building amirite?

Perhaps you're a secret Fallout 3 fan as well - after all, isometric perspective was just a technology limitation.

And if you're seriously comparing the polygon counts on new ships and those on the Amiga original, you're too stupid to even know how stupid you are.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Oh snap, you actually went full retard.
Pulling the "world building" or realism Card in a Setting with LaZ0r-Wepuns, FTL and 20th Century Dogfights in Space?

You got to be fucking kidding me, Hipsterboy, go play some edgy pixelshit in iconic 8 bit colours.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Oh snap, you actually went full retard.
Pulling the "world building" or realism Card in a Setting with LaZ0r-Wepuns, FTL and 20th Century Dogfights in Space?

You got to be fucking kidding me, Hipsterboy, go play some edgy pixelshit in iconic 8 bit colours.

Protip: I was talking about internal consistency rather than "realism".

29o1qba.jpg

bonescraper

Bitch, so far you're the only one who dislikes the ship design. So kindly fuck off. You know, there's this other game you may like instad, with retarded modern day jet designs, flying hairdryers and space beard trimmers.

I love ED ship design, especially the Viper. It looks like Hiigaran Interceptor from my beloved Homeworld.

2evf3o9.png

Homeworld-фэндомы-art-красивые-картинки-1514563.jpeg

1280px-Viper03.jpg

:love:

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron

I like the Picture, it fits you.
E:Dangerous is set aprox 45 ingame years after the last Elite game.
Thats a fuckton of time to Warrant modified Designs.
Moot discussion though, in the perfect world of "muh oldschool" Hipsters like you, we'd still be playing the same old shit because "Change is evil" and oh mighty epenis, you might actually loose some authistic nerdknowledge to brag about if stuff changes.

Drakron

Arcane
Nothing to do with change.

Military equipment is functional, there is no reason to increase weight, mass and size for what amounts to aesthetics ... yet we have you fags that want to bling their spaceships because you being niggers.

Elite ship designs are functional.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Bitch, so far you're the only one who dislikes the ship design. So kindly fuck off. You know, there's this other game you may like instad, with retarded modern day jet designs, flying hairdryers and space beard trimmers.

Cry me a river.
And i see at least one other Person on the last page disliking the design, so kindly change your diapers, you smell like a raging fanboy.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
other than those blocky designs being an iconic part of the setting, you mean. changing them would be akin to a star trek game doing away with iconinc klingon and starfleet designs. btw, the eagle is pretty much a 1to1 translation of its original lowpoly design and the anaconda is drastically changed from its original, so obviously they aren't afraid of doing it when it feels right.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron

Military equipment is functional, there is no reason to increase weight, mass and size for what amounts to aesthetics ... yet we have you fags that want to bling their spaceships because you being niggers.

There is no "functional realism" in a game that builds up on the premise of "dogfights in space".
If you want realistic Space-only crafts with possible fighting capabilities that don't waste useless space, make regular icosahedrons.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

There is no "functional realism" in a game that builds up on the premise of "dogfights in space".
If you want realistic Space-only crafts with possible fighting capabilities that don't waste useless space, make regular icosahedrons.
Could you exlain to me why jetfighter/Star Citizen style design is better than the blocky design of Elite?

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
the anaconda is drastically changed from its original, so obviously they aren't afraid of doing it when it feels right.

Wow, thank you for this Information.
Makes the Butthurt of Bonescraper even more amusing.

And re Star Trek:
Over the course of the different series (barring poop like "Enterprise"), the design of the Equipment and Ships was always subject to changes.
Yet it still remained "star trek" and was perceived by the fans as such.
I want to build up on your Anaconda Example again.
So, even the Designers of E:D don't shy away from modfying old designs, there is no hardwritten rule of "no Change", despite These ships being supposedly "iconic" by design.
So, if they Change a few, why not do the same with the rest, at least in a way that makes them a bit less shoeboxy?

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Could you exlain to me why jetfighter/Star Citizen style design is better than the blocky design of Elite?

Personal preferences in regard of aesthethics.

And as soon as it Comes to atmospheric flight, even the fans of "functional design" should see that blocky designs are meh.

Besides that, please Refrain from putting words into my mouth.
I never advocated Paycitizens Ships to be overall goodlooking.
As a matter of fact, from what i have seen so far, RSI has produced a few nice ones, but also a big bunch of ludicrous bullcrap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom