Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Bradylama

Arcane
In combat you're going to leave one one sub-menu on anyways for quick access. Or, git gud and learn the hotkeys.

Azazel

Arbiter
Certainly hope so, just never been a fan of the 'UI as part of the game world' idea. It might look fancy, but it makes it needlessly uncomfortable to read and manipulate, especially when you're trying to do something in a hurry.

That's because you haven't looked to your side with an Oculus DK2 on your head, had the menu pop up naturally, and subsequently interacted with it.

The first time you do this, you will understand.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In combat you're going to leave one one sub-menu on anyways for quick access. Or, git gud and learn the hotkeys.
Being part of the PC gaming master race, hotkeys are my friends. Their use was always a given in simulators. Better yet, I will map the most important ones on the joystick.

Certainly hope so, just never been a fan of the 'UI as part of the game world' idea. It might look fancy, but it makes it needlessly uncomfortable to read and manipulate, especially when you're trying to do something in a hurry.

That's because you haven't looked to your side with an Oculus DK2 on your head, had the menu pop up naturally, and subsequently interacted with it.

The first time you do this, you will understand.
I won't have money for an Oculus, but I will probably purchase a DIY head tracker which works wonderfully, and it is only 11 pounds. http://edtracker.org.uk/

I regret selling my super Track Ir 4 head tracker a few years ago, but I won't buy a new one, it is too expensive. Fortunately I found a cheap version above, which will do the job.

Azazel

Arbiter
That will suffice.

Seriously, the menus made me understand and appreciate what it means to have a UI which is an integral part of the game world, instead of another in-your-face HUD or multi-tabbed scaleform POS. The level of immersion it creates is unparalleled.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I crashed into another ship once because I was fiddling around with my subsystems and not watching where I was flying. Felt good man.

The Fish

Arcane
Peek of the week

peek_of_the_week_53.jpg

Looks to be an imperial ship. I don't like the sci-fi visual cliche of having thin candescent blue lines over everything.

Last edited:

bonescraper

After 3 hotfixes i can finally play this game as it was meant to be played. It's slowly shaping up to be the best game ever. I'm fucking serious, i'm almost crying with joy playing it. And it's still far from being feature complete.

885ECFE81FB78EBDB345FA8D1A68C56DE35FCB22

See those white dots with orange dashes above them? Those are star systems. You can visit every and each one of them in beta 2. Ridiculous, right? But just wait for it...

9510D14284F0BEB065BD88165B773B46D8C04C7B

This is the beta 2 bubble. 500 explorable systems are contained within.

DA54301D66A6E5794BB1C14BEA617F633892780F

Let's zoom out a bit. You can still see the bubble.

1B7B4FA31EF0785409CFA66D70078AE6F5BC98E3

The entire galaxy. Our bubble is probably pixel-sized atm.

3568DBF3D56AE226505230447931DD2866C0B7C7

System view with essential (and not-so-essential) informations.

1767F49074BF0449864C9B71942F3026B202AB58

New improved space station UI. Now with news feed and shit.

3F8A8DBE6B0874A926E6064204F212CEBBC5671F

With working AA, this game looks absolutely stunning. They also seemed to add more contrast to the lighting. Dark places are darker, bright places are brighter.

Ok, enough talk. Gotta earn those credits to get my Viper back.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
There's a good jewtube video of the beta 2 online already. Game looks fantastic even in this state.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I'm really liking the new hud - pirated around for a couple of hours yesterday. I'm probably getting my ASP tomorrow

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Trading - once you figure out the routes is propably still the most efficient way time-wise. But that's boring. I just grabbed some kill missions, flew to anarchy systems and hunted signals, conflict/extraction zones etc, shooting at everything that moved. If I didn't get a bounty for it, I got cargo instead.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How do you guys use the lateral-vertical thrusters by the way? You play with a HOTAS and set it up on a mini-joystick?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
How do you guys use the lateral-vertical thrusters by the way? You play with a HOTAS and set it up on a mini-joystick?

I'm left-handed, so I have one of these (they can be switched to lefthanded mode):
TMS2960706.jpg

Joystick up/down/left/right controls pitch/yaw.
Twisting the joystick controls roll.
I use the hat for thrust up/down/left/right when flying and navigating menus when docked/looking at side screens.
The trigger is primary fire, the big fat button on top is secondary fire.
The 2 smaller buttons on the top are for boosters and toggling flight assist.
I use 6 of the 12 buttons on the base.
Front row are used for targeting (target what I'm looking at, target nearest enemy, target next).
Back row are used for misc functions I like to have handy. (Toggle hardpoints, eject heat sink, silent running). Everything else is mapped to the keyboard.
Arrow left for left monitor, arrow right for right monitor, arrow up for comms menu, arrow down for zooming in on sensor display, End for restoring view to normal.
Insert to toggle cargo scoop
Delete to toggle landing gear
Home to jump/supercruise
Page up/Page down to switch between fire groups.

Last edited:

bonescraper

I'm really liking the new hud - pirated around for a couple of hours yesterday. I'm probably getting my ASP tomorrow

What did you find the most efficient way of making money to be?
Trading + courier missions.

8F207FCB66D42388A5CE9D7F56FE8117B8CF3FB4

I found 4 missions that required me to go to the same place (Romanek's Folly in Morgor). 40,000 credits in one system-to-system run. Fast and easy money. I'm flying a hauler atm with 18t of cargo space.

Or... use the exploit.

Take a trade run from the bulletin board and abandon the mission. You still will have the cargo you received, but it will be labeled as stolen. Sell it on the black market. Profit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Take a trade run from the bulletin board and abandon the mission. You still will have the cargo you received, but it will be labeled as stolen. Sell it on the black market. Profit.

FUCK ME THAT'S BRILLIANT!
The freeport pirates have a severe craving for tea! They offered me 20k for 8 units of tea so long as it was stolen!

bonescraper

FUCK ME THAT'S BRILLIANT!
The freeport pirates have a severe craving for tea! They offered me 20k for 8 units of tea so long as it was stolen!
Bro, it's quite ridiculous. You don't even have to do that.

Find a non-anarchic station with black market, take and abandon missions, sell cargo on the spot.

1. Please good sir, deliver this 1t of gold to Eranin.
2. Sure thing... NOPE!
3. Cash in 4k on the black market.
4. Profit!

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
After 3 hotfixes i can finally play this game as it was meant to be played. It's slowly shaping up to be the best game ever. I'm fucking serious, i'm almost crying with joy playing it. And it's still far from being feature complete.

Oh my god - I just keep an eye on this one thinking in my old age - nothing - NOTHING - can create the feelings of playing the Elite.

I played it on a BBC B computer way back. Elite was the first time i held a joystick in my hand. I used to watch my brother play it and thinking how would I ever play this game that involves so many different keys. How could little me play this complicated game. Manual docking, skimming the sun for fuel. The Cobra Mark III. ECM. Those bloody Vipers.

Elite gave me confidence and MOJO. BBC B, C64, Amiga and now PC - I have always had an Elite.

One of the updates was bugged to hell and back and I really wonder how the magazine reviewers had forgotten to mention that fact. Another version was pretty decent actually.

Oh my god - I want to be happy but can't force myself -

Azazel

Arbiter
I made like 20k in thirty minutes last night just tooling around doing random missions and figuring out how things have changed. $2k of that was from doing some scanning in Styx and selling the data.

I can't wait to find the next-level scanner and then push out into the great beyond!

bonescraper

And the 2.04 release is another bugfest. 8 out of 10 hyperspace exits result in a CTD.

But at least i got my hands on this beautiful baby.

73151BDCAB5E5440F2F4FFD95A3C7FB3DE94D44E

I wanted to get the Asp Explorer, but it definitely isn't in my price range atm (6,500,000 cr).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I can see this game being ruined by what is very likely an unsecure and client-trusting multiplayer protocol which will make it into Diablo 1/Diablo 2 with Open Battlenet. Everyone will fly around in the best ship with the maxed out money.

This will screw everything from PvP to economy, and even retard the so-called "single-player" mode which will still be impacted by the economy from multiplayer.

In short... they better have real single-player, and not just always-connected bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom