Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Embracer Group acquires Square Enix's Western studios and IPs (Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, etc)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess the deal is now finalized?

They started adding or replacing legal lines of some games on Steam to mention only Eidos or Cystal Dynamics, removing mention of Square Enix.

Via SteamDB search (you need to sign in Steam account) https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&type=-1&keyname=510&operator=1&keyvalue=Eidos

Thief 2 for example: https://steamdb.info/app/211740/history/?changeid=U:32207125

For now it's all Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain, and Marvel games (Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy). Plus Flora's Fruit Farm and Championship Manager. I guess more will come.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Does that mean we can now have a Deus Ex/LOTR crossover?

Morpheus: "God is a dream of Good Government."

Gandalf: "No."

"Oh no, Boromir has been slain!"

"What a shame." lipsmack
"So you think you know better than FEMA what to do with this month's Ambrosia shipment?"

You're too late. It's on its way back to the Hobbits, and you can't do a damn thing about it."

"For 1000 years there's been a conspiracy of elves against ordinary people".

"Do you have a single fact to back that up?"

"Number one, in the Third Age the Elves rendered 50% of the aid given to the rest of the Free Folk, now it's about 5%. Number Two, in the Fourth Age the Kingdoms of Men held 90% of the wealth in Middle-Earth, now it's about 2%."

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eidosmontreal.com/news/updates-to-our-terms-of-service-and-privacy-notice/

UPDATES TO OUR TERMS OF SERVICE AND PRIVACY NOTICE​

As we’ve left Square Enix Ltd and joined the Embracer Group, we are starting an exciting new chapter in Eidos-Montréal’s history. While it’s not quite as exciting, it also means we have to let you know that we’ve updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Notice!

To put things simply, the big change is that Eidos-Montréal (or its affiliates) is now the owner of the games it developed, like the Deus Ex and Thief games, and the controller of the data obtained from the various gameplay metrics tracked in its titles. If you’d like to know more, please refer to our new Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.

From all of us at Eidos-Montréal, thank you for playing our games and for your continuous support!

https://www.crystald.com/crystal-dynamics-takes-control-of-its-most-beloved-games/

CRYSTAL DYNAMICS TAKES CONTROL OF ITS MOST BELOVED GAMES​

We are excited to inform you that Crystal Dynamics has taken control of several game franchises—including TOMB RAIDER and Legacy of Kain—from the games’ previous owner, Square Enix Limited.

As a result of this change, Crystal Dynamics (or its affiliate) is now the owner of these games and the controller of the gameplay and personal data related to them. If you’d like to know more, please refer to our new Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.

We look forward to taking this new and exciting journey with you!

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Deus Ex was pitched immediately but they're busy working on some shit inspired by Stranger Things and ET before that ever happens. A whole decade for Eidos Montreal is gonna be eaten up by capeshit and something somehow even worse.

Cancelled

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Was this their end game all along for acquiring so many properties?
https://fellowshipoffans.com/news/w...of-the-rings-the-hobbit-franchises-exclusive/

Embracer Group just sold their ‘Tomb Raider’ rights to Amazon for a deal that we can exclusively reveal as being approximately a 600 Million overall package making it Amazon’s second biggest purchase after purchasing the television rights for ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’. Therefore, this puts into perspective the cost and prices that Embracer maybe looking for.

Derringer

Prophet
Was this their end game all along for acquiring so many properties?
https://fellowshipoffans.com/news/w...of-the-rings-the-hobbit-franchises-exclusive/

Embracer Group just sold their ‘Tomb Raider’ rights to Amazon for a deal that we can exclusively reveal as being approximately a 600 Million overall package making it Amazon’s second biggest purchase after purchasing the television rights for ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’. Therefore, this puts into perspective the cost and prices that Embracer maybe looking for.
Looks like they're just reselling the ips after Squeenix decided to be fucking retarded jews again.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Some other sources report that they leased it. This probably means that Amazon bears all risks and bags all rewards for a certain period of time, but eventually the rights go back to Embracer. Main difference from conventional license is that Embracer in this gets this fixed fee immediately and is not involved in profit-sharing down the road. Looks like a logical way to boost cash flows to the whole Embracer group for a while.

ADL

Prophet
Some other sources report that they leased it. This probably means that Amazon bears all risks and bags all rewards for a certain period of time, but eventually the rights go back to Embracer. Main difference from conventional license is that Embracer in this gets this fixed fee immediately and is not involved in profit-sharing down the road. Looks like a logical way to boost cash flows to the whole Embracer group for a while.
Finally: IPs are now traded in the same exact way that football players are.
I'm not really expecting anything good from this. To be completely honest, I'd even be more excited for a Dishonored 3 than a Thief 5 4. Deus Ex needs closure, I agree. Or at least something new. I didn't hate Human Revolution at all, even had a soft spot for that dumb mobile game they made (more in a "you tried" kinda way though). Plus it's also a need for redemption after they sacrificed it for that Marvel game. A fate worse than death.
I wonder if they'd bring the Legacy of Kain MMO back. People who played it kinda liked it, and I don't remember the fanbase hating it, although at this point in time the LOK fanbase will be content with anything they'd throw their way.
Edit: someone else joked about an open world Thief and I have to say that you haven't played Thief 2014. After that POS, open world Thief sounds like a breath of fresh air and even relatively exciting.

Concerning the way Squeenix handles their studios, yeah, they do treat western people as second class citizens, but that's a Japan thing, not a Squeenix one. Japanese companies are ran by literal boomers and they most likely care about the domestic market first and foremost. However I wouldn't say they are less controlling of their japanese studios. Reminder that the exec who helped Yoko Taro make Nier Automata threatened to leave if they didn't let them make the game because he had made like 5 Dragon Quest games in a row.

deuxhero

Arcane
All Deus Ex (except The Fall) and Thief games, as well as Guardians of the Galaxy, just got new ESRB ratings. All appear to be exact duplicates of original rating (originals are still in system) aside from platform only listing PC and the publisher. Both original and DC versions of HR were re-rated, but not Ultimate Edition. No idea what's going on.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
All Deus Ex (except The Fall) and Thief games, as well as Guardians of the Galaxy, just got new ESRB ratings. All appear to be exact duplicates of original rating (originals are still in system) aside from platform only listing PC and the publisher. Both original and DC versions of HR were re-rated, but not Ultimate Edition. No idea what's going on.
Probably means new games are inbound.

Semiurge

Cipher
Realistically which studio can handle a new Thief? I feel like they would book Night Dive for a remaster of The Dark Project first, but when it comes to Thief 5 it's not like there are a lot of choices out there.

Why should TDP be subjected to a remaster? For new visual effects, lighting etc? Newdark works just fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom