Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

A user named cat

Mednafen was updated a couple days ago with a bunch more Saturn fixes. Will be crazy to see 100% compatibility, getting there. HERE is a list of remaining issues if anyone wants to follow.
It also looks like the SS :M component got savestate support as of 0.9.47. Too bad that the newest Retroatch core is 0.9.45.1.

:negative:
Yeah just use standalone for now. Some RA cores tend to fall pretty far behind. I did read however someone is finally porting Higan over so we won't have to use the old as hell bsnes cores anymore.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Well they are fucked,if sega wants to they can do the same thing sony did with bleem and just go to court and outspend until they cease all development.
Again this is the problem of going to patron for shady legal stuff.
Also cemu is probably the next one once Nintendo actually figures out what the hell patreon even is.

A user named cat

These fags even put up an official anti-emulator statement on their website. Fuck Atlus.

http://atlus.com/atlus-and-emulation/

ATLUS and Emulation

You might have heard earlier today that we issued a DMCA takedown notice involving emulation developer group RPCS3 and their Patreon page. Yes, it’s true. We settled upon this action for two reasons:

1. We believe that our fans best experience our titles (like Persona 5) on the actual platforms for which they are developed. We don’t want their first experiences to be framerate drops, or crashes, or other issues that can crop up in emulation that we have not personally overseen. We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.
  2. We appreciate the awareness generated by the emulation community for Persona 5 and know that it is a fantastic example of how much people are loving our game. We want to keep bringing you titles like Persona 5. Unfortunately, when our content is illegally circumvented and potentially made available for free, in a format we do not think delivers the experience and quality we intend, it undermines our ability to do so by diverting potential support from new audiences.
We want to continue having a dialogue about where and how you would like to play our games. Please let us know what you think.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The weirdest thing about atlus is that they are in a deficit because of they opened a new studio and they openly state they need to make more money.
Yet they have only one option for expanding and that is steam and the western pc market and they refuse to enter that market.
Microsoft is out of the question and Nintendo doesn't care about Atlus,so what the hell is their financial plan except to piss off pc gamers?

Suicidal

Arcane
If Fatlus ever released the Etrian Odyssey series on the PC I'd love to buy them but alas I have to turn to emulation for now.

Sounds like Atlus had a timed exclusivity deal and was planning to get people to double dip on steam later, and now they are pissed that they have to actually make a good port instead of phoning it in.

It explains when didn't attack Citra earlier. But who cares, they'll loose like Sony did against Bleem! in late 90'.

tet666

Augur
Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What are your PCs specs? I have a work macbook as main computer for now. It's quite weak on the GPU side.

tet666

Augur
6600k with a gtx 1070 but i also tried it on my laptop which has a 3.2 ghz Haswell and some onboard crap gpu and it works pretty well.
GPU doesn't really matter anyway your cpu is far more important .

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
New Citra Builds from a new branch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvkt8gtk2h2wcj5/citra.7z?dl=1
https://github.com/Phanto-m/citra/tree/texcache-rebase

So far this runs everything i throw at it fullspeed and correctly uprendered including the new Metroid,Monster Hunter, DQ7 and the 2 Shin Megami Tensai IV games which where very problematic bevore, it's pretty impressive, there are still bugs and some games just crash, anyway will be a while till it's finished and merged to master.

Wait, Monster Hunter too? That's excellent news, imagine playing 3U/4U on a bigger screen with proper controls... Which MH did you try?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
New Citra Builds from a new branch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvkt8gtk2h2wcj5/citra.7z?dl=1
https://github.com/Phanto-m/citra/tree/texcache-rebase

So far this runs everything i throw at it fullspeed and correctly uprendered including the new Metroid,Monster Hunter, DQ7 and the 2 Shin Megami Tensai IV games which where very problematic bevore, it's pretty impressive, there are still bugs and some games just crash, anyway will be a while till it's finished and merged to master.

Wait, Monster Hunter too? That's excellent news, imagine playing 3U/4U on a bigger screen with proper controls... Which MH did you try?
I've just tested 4U on the laptop mentioned above and it runs sub-20fps on OSX going ingame. Do try it.

tet666

Augur
I don't think 4U runs in the build i posted, it has some extra stuff baked in to speed up Metroid and a few other games i mentioned which had problems with uprendering, unfortunately it makes some other games crash atm. Tbh i only tested Monster Hunter stories actually, i should have mentioned that.
When it's fixed and properly merged to master it should help a good number of games though without the sideeffects.
Before that you can keep an eye on the gbatemp thread for unofficial builds if you want, that's where i got this build as well.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
I see. Nonetheless, that's amazing progress. Couple years ago Citra would at best boot intros and that was it. About Monster Hunter, 4U probably won't be playable, I think 30fps is the minimum for it to be enjoyable. However, 3U got the Wii U version too, maybe Cemu runs it? Need to gather more info.

Btw, thanks pakoito and tet666 :salute:

tet666

Augur
However, 3U got the Wii U version too, maybe Cemu runs it? :

Unfortunately not , though i hear the Devs are looking into it, for Emulation the WII and PSP games are your best bets atm but it's only a matter of time.
At least we are getting the mainline games as native ports on pc now.

Vorark

Erudite
I think 3U would be the best one to have emulation support due to the underwater gameplay; 4U elements will be in World so no major loss. Oh well, as you mentioned it'll get there.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Is there any information on this thread about emulating a Nintendo Switch? Mainly interested in playing the new Legend of Zelda.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is there any information on this thread about emulating a Nintendo Switch? Mainly interested in playing the new Legend of Zelda.
You didn't even TRY to google before asking, did you?

There's no working Switch emulator yet, but you can play the new Zelda with the Wii U emulator, CEMU.

tet666

Augur
You didn't even TRY to google before asking, did you?

There's no working Switch emulator yet, but you can play the new Zelda with the Wii U emulator, CEMU.

Actually not a great idea to google this if you have absolutely no clue, there are thousands of sites trying to convince ppl like him to download their malware, so it isn't a bad idea to ask some knowledgeable ppl first.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

Shit. They just pretty much confirmed Persona 5 on PC.

Duraframe300

Arcane
We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

Shit. They just pretty much confirmed Persona 5 on PC.

Not likely given past behaviour. Also that's more or less Atlus USA (not the japanese office which started this) damage control. Would like to be surprised though.

tet666

Augur
I doubt it but it won't matter soon anyway RPCS3 is getting uprezzing now, there is allrdy a 60 fps patch for Persona and in a few months optimizations on the emulator will be far enough to actually run the game at that frame rate on a normal pc, Atlus loses.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i don't doubt it haha, i just want to play through some well known psx jrpgs and see what it's all about.

ff7 and vagrant story have been my favorite so far.
Do yourself a favor and play Parasite Eve

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom